SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
suze425

Entire house down to studs - Now my kitchen questions begin!

Susan W
2 years ago

Hello - Last year we purchased a wreck of a hoarder house which was filled with Chinese drywall. Yes, those houses still exist down here on the Mississippi Gulf Coast I guess!

We’ve had 1,000 different ideas on how to go forward, but ultimately it all came back to getting the drywall mitigated, ie: getting the house gutted. It was like pulling teeth to get the project started, but here we are with a house taken down to the studs. Yay.

Most of the floor plan is staying the same, but I’m trying to decide how to go forward with the kitchen.

The first floor plan is the current layout. It’s not perfectly accurate (doors and windows are a bit off) but it’s what I have as it’s what one person used to work up the estimate for the drywall mitigation. For example, there is no outside door off the dining area - it's a window on that wall.

The second floor plan is what I’d like to do and shows the area that I’ll have available for my kitchen/dining space. I marked some things that are negotiable, but the splitting of the (in my opinion) large wasted space marked as the “Den” on the original floor plan is not negotiable. I need that extra bedroom. And I've always loved the idea of a mudroom so I'd like to keep that as a separate space.

I’m definitely open to removing the wall between the current kitchen and dining area, and I’m good with the idea of breakfast bar there. And if not that, an island would be wonderful. I would like to have room for an actual dining table though.

I thought that having a continuous wall that is almost 23’ long would be plenty big for whatever I wanted to do, but then because it’s not terribly wide, I feel sort of limited. I’m just not good at visualizing how to lay things out I guess.

Also, I am not a fan of a totally “open” floor plan, so I definitely do not want to mess with the back living room wall. Besides the fact that this wall is load bearing.

NOTE: The 1/2 bath we are adding is going to connect to an existing non-connected laundry room that is there to the right.

Also, at some point in time we'll expand the back bedroom, making it the master and adding a master bath en suite. But that's not a project for now. We are actually empty nesters and our main goal at the moment is to make this a 3-bedroom house where our children can come to visit. That's why the addition of at least the 1/2-bath, the additional bedroom, and a decent eat-in kitchen are the current priorities.

Can anyone provide some feedback or possible ideas? Thank you!

Comments (7)