SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nicoleny

Let the games begin! Budget remodel of 65 year old kitchen.

Nicole
12 years ago

I kind of pushed hubby along to get going on our DIY budget remodel (our cabinets are here and I'm dying to get going!) and here are some first demo pics. Please ignore any messes. :) Here is the new layout. This wall we're working on is the bottom of the layout. The second layout pic is before some cabinets were tweaked, but it shows where the wall and doors to the basement stick out into the kitchen area. I hope the photos aren't too large for anyone.

When we bought the house 12 years ago we quickly repainted the shiny chocolate brown painted cabinets (the walls and ceiling were an equally shiny avocado green) and went over the very worn gold flecked Formica with marble tiles and put up a cheap ceramic tile backspash and covered the terrible dirt colored spotted linoleum tiles with cheap-o peel and stick tiles that I could actually see where I needed to sweep/mop. For some reason the original owner/builder made the counters higher than normal. We added a tiny bit of height when we went over the countertop with cement board and the marble, but it was already much taller than standard.

We've started by taking down part of this wall that is adjacent to our back (and main) door. We let our son write on the wall before we tore it down, which of course thrilled him.

{{gwi:1973713}}

This is standing in the small hall by the back door looking into the kitchen. Our stairs to the upstairs are on the right of the photo.

{{gwi:1973714}}

This is standing where the doorway to the dining room currently is. (the right side of the layouts) That wall will be opened up and there will be a peninsula there.

{{gwi:1973715}}

This is me standing in the corner where our little table currently is and where we removed part of the wall. This shows my entire counter area as it is now. Not much usable space at all. You can see here next to the stove how much higher than normal the counter is!

{{gwi:1973716}}

And the plaster is down!

{{gwi:1973717}}

{{gwi:1973718}}

We let our son take some whacks at the studs. Needless to say, he didn't get to far with knocking them down.

{{gwi:1973719}}

And here we are with the studs down and the electrical temporarily moved. Next on the agenda is removing that window (managed to track down some NOS aluminmum siding to match our outside) and put in a window about where the stove is now sitting and where the new sink will be.

{{gwi:1973720}}

Comments (7)