SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ashley_karandjeff

Need help with back yard design/flooding/landscape

We purchased our house last year so this is our first winter/spring and so far I am starting to panic on how to correct the major issues in our back yard. Our back yard is sloped and receives run off from the street on both sides. I put down seed and straw in the fall and have for the most part kept our 3 large dogs off of it all. The water just sits and sits for days on our patio, which is causing it to sink in the corner. The ground outside the concrete retaining walls is fully saturated and you sink when trying to walk on it. Our concrete stairs are pulling away from our home and the concrete is cracking in multiple places. We are getting our new siding this spring, and our new windows and doors were just installed. We removed a small deck off the master when we removed the sliding door and replaced with windows. Our hope was to build a deck off our addition that extends the length of the back of the house and more or less create a covered patio, however that maybe a project for next summer depending on how the siding and gutters go. I also want to get a tackle of this flooding/erosion issues now. I don't know if I will ever be able to get grass to grow in this mess, so as much as I'd like to have it if other options make more sense I'm ok with that. I did do some temp astroturf up at the top of our yard where it is flat and that is where our dogs are allowed at the current moment for potty breaks. But I want to be able to enjoy our back yard.

Comments (9)