SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sbm321

elderly incontinence -- how do you talk to your parent?

Sueb20
2 years ago

I think I am going to have to have a difficult conversation with my 87 yo dad. He is in assisted living and has heart issues, diabetes, and chronic kidney disease. (Though you'd never guess to look at him or talk to him.) He is the proudest guy and loves to talk about how no one can believe he's in his 80s and how he "feels great" and "has no issues" even though he obviously knows he has SOME issues. We are close in that we are good pals, but we don't have very deep conversations and we definitely don't talk about potentially embarrassing bodily functions.

Anyway, I thought I had noticed a faint urine smell in his apt. a couple of times over the last few months, but I didn't see an obvious source and I didn't of course say hey dad, why does your apartment smell like pee? But yesterday --ironically right after I had taken him for a followup appt at his nephrologist -- the apt. smelled of urine again, and I noticed he had a towel on the seat of his recliner. Then I noticed that the bathroom floor was sticky (they do clean his apt. once a week). Even worse, as we sat there chatting, he wet his pants. It was enough that I noticed, though my DH did not notice. And my dad SEEMED to not notice. I didn't know what to do. I was shocked and sad and obviously I didn't want to embarrass him so I said nothing. Trying to spare him embarrassment, I made an excuse why we had to get going, thinking it would give him the chance to change his pants, etc. He still seemed totally unaware, but he could have also just been hoping we didn't notice and trying to pretend nothing happened.

So clearly I need to do something. I just left a message with the nursing staff at his asst. living, asking if anyone has noticed and/or addressed this with him. Hoping someone there -- assuming they are experienced with these conversations -- can talk to him. I figured if he wants to continue to pretend with me that nothing is happening, I can easily send Depends from A---on or something. I have also just sent a message to his doctor. Assuming this has been going on for months (as we were smelling the subtle urine smells for a while) I am guessing it wouldn't be a UTI, but maybe? Or just elderly incontinence...? Obviously not looking for specific medical advce here, but wondering if anyone has had to talk to their parent (especially a dad, because I think I would have had an easier time talking about this with my mom) about this?

Comments (33)