SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sgmsnewhouse

Dining Room Makeover - Lighten, modernize, change everything?

sgmsnewhouse
2 years ago

I first posted for ideas about my dining room in 2015! In the meantime I updated many other rooms, but it’s time to tackle my most challenging room. I am fortunate to have a large dining room and I use it a lot! But I inherited the furniture and have been unhappy with both the darkness of the room, the traditional furniture, and the horrible fireplace (I use that a lot as well).

I’ve checked out ways to modernize the room (and had hoped to do it in stages) but nothing quite felt right. But I have had time to continue to think about options and and ready to take the plunge and do it! I would love to get some thoughts regarding how I might go about changing and modernizing the room (and maybe in 2 stages). There are also some limitations: 1) no rug under table - husband nixed that long ago, 2) no lightening the floor, 3) need a cabinet for my crystal — It was suggested that the large painting be centered on the far wall but I would love to find some kind of more modern lit cabinet for the crystal that could work with it where it is if possible—its my largest wall. My thoughts right now are that I: 1) ditch the louvered blinds, 2) lighten the walls, perhaps a soft white (the room gets no direct sun), 3) change the fireplace surround and brick and modernize it, 4) introduce a modern chandelier. In terms of furniture, I wonder what will modernize the room more: changing the table or the chairs? If I keep the table for the time being I would want more modern chairs that could also lighten the room up. I have also played around with the idea of painting the chairs red and changing the fabric. It might be less expensive to just start from scratch, however. I have attached pictures of the room and also my feeble attempt to layout how changes might look (along with a chandelier I love!). Where should I begin?

Comments (10)