SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mutedcat

Super Mysterious Window/Door Leaking During (ONLY Windy) Rain

mutedcat
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Hi!

I bought my house back in June 2021. When it rains with wind, I have issues with water leaking around a front window downstairs and my front door. This ONLY happens when there is wind. Regular rain and even snow build up that melts causes no problems. I also have no issues at all with water leaking upstairs.

Some facts to make this a more interesting conundrum:

I had the door replaced in December to (1) combat the leaking issue and (2) for better curb appeal, but following the first windy, rainy day we've had in a while (Pittsburgh in winter), the door leaked a bit and the window leaked as bad as it had in summer/fall.

The outside of the window is overly caulked to the point that the painting contractors I've had come out to get painting estimates noted that the caulking would have to be trimmed back/redone cleaner because they can't paint over it. I don't see how the water could be getting in around it.

There is not a gutter on the front side of the house. My house has a very distinct slant to it and while I have a flat roof, it very much slants away from the front where the issues are.

The siding on the house is aluminum and aside from the peeling paint, there are no visual signs of damage (dents/bulging/etc). I'm not sure what's under the siding.

At this point I'm convinced my house is possessed and just waiting for the water to turn into blood or ectoplasm or something...

Here are some photos for more info/context:

Exterior of house w/ locations of interior leaks circled in red

Exterior side view. Clear slant on front facade and roof that is flat but slants away from front where water damage is occurring:

Drone photo of front of roof from inspection report:

Interior photos of water leaking locations on window:

(Sad wall...an exceptionally windy/rainy storm in early December resulted in the dry wall crumbling. Pinpricks below are from a moisture meter which finds over 30% moisture content for days after rain. No point in fixing it until the problem is solved. I just glare at it every so often to remind it I'm in charge...or so I like to think...):

Where the water came in on the front door. This is taken from inside with the metal door open. The other door that is closed is the storm door. The window leaked during the most recent storm for maybe 30-60 minutes before the door leaked.

Comments (10)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor