SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jane913

odor in house during humid weather

Jane913
12 years ago

I see I'm not alone with my house odor problem! I live in a house that we built 10 years ago and every summer starting in about July, the hot humid weather brings out a terrible odor in our house. This odor, and trying to find the cause, has driven me almost to the breaking point. Picture me on my hands and knees sniffing every surface in the house--including standing on a ladder with an empty wrapping paper tube to my nose trying to smell the ceiling light fixtures! I've turned into THAT lady!

Anyhow, to me the odor smells either like a dirty hamster cage ( we don't have hamsters) or charred fish. The smell is particularly strong in our entry way and in our back hallway. It bothers me more than my husband, but he is at this very moment using some odor-be-gone liquid on the floors to see if that makes a difference. It won't, because we did that last year. I've had every HVAC man in the county here to investigate, had our duct work deodorized, people up in the attic, and they find nothing wrong. Replaced the rod in the water heater too. I can relate to each and every one of your problems and hope you all find answers. Anyone have any ideas for me?? I'm always lulled into thinking the odor is gone when June arrives and there's no odor.......but then July happens and I'm pulling out my hair all over again--ha!!

Comments (35)