SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
doudini279

Remodeling an uneven pentagonal mid size bathroom, advice for layout.

Doudini
2 years ago

Hello!

We are remodeling an old mirrored bathroom inside a dome home. Let's just say that just to get a reasonable floorplan sketch took me months due to the difficulty of uneven shapes and mirrored walls inside.

What you see here is a near accurate representation of the bathroom shape and surrounding rooms.

The bathroom is not very large and is an uneven pentagon shape where the inner walls are about 7 ft long each. I guess the square footage is about 60? Not very large. There is no sc ope to enlarge it or tear it down. It is the shape it is.

Below are current photos and some ideas. And the last image shows our top floor layout with the bathroom in the middle. No windows.

Idea 1 is to just remove the big tub and in its place create a shower stall with a seat. In the corner on the left where the shower is currently, we would install a linen closet OR potentially a corner small 48" tub, right opposite the toilet. I love tubs but can' t fit a big one. Also, as usual, the tub would be used only monthly, not too often.

I am torn on the tub as I can;t imagine having no tubs in the house, but convincing my partner to buy a tub that I will use infrequently and he not at all, makes me feel odd as well.

Any feedback on 48 in tubs? I don't want the Japanese soaker tub, but is 48" too small for some sort of comfort?

The layout would be almost identical.

Also I want to install transom windows near the ceiling to allow some outside light from the hallway in this center bathroom. Most of the mirrors will go away.

But I have been tempted with the idea of splitting this room into 1.5 baths, adding a small 3' x 7 powder room instead of where the toilet and current shower. I would add a pocket door from the outside hallway and remove one Jack and jill door to main bath. This would give us one more solid wall to work with.

90% times we would not reap any benefits, besides when guests are here. it would just make our main bath smaller. I wonder if it is worth it just for the temporary annoyances of having to share the main bathroom.

When our parents get older then forcing them to walk downstairs to use the second house bathroom all the times (near a kitchen) does sound a bit terrible. So this would be solving a bit for future. Is it worth it?

Or should we just enhance the main bathroom (we are retiling, etc), enjoy and let them share with us?

Comments (9)