SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hwierenga

Layout advice for Large Family Kitchen, Please

hwierenga
7 years ago

I've mentally knocked out so many walls and re-arranged my cabinets so many times, I'm scared I've lost all perception of reality...

We are planning a large-scale reno next summer, which will include a large family room addition, tearing down walls to open up the kitchen and dining room. New floors, windows, the whole works. We've been saving and planning this for many years, and I'm so scared we are going to mess it up, so I've come to all you experts for help.

This is the home we will be staying in forever, so resale isn't an issue. I need it to work for our large family for the next 30 years. ( By which point my kids will have caused so much destruction, it'll all have to re-done anyway)

I'll post my current horrific layout, and then the two ideas I'm playing around with, and I'd love to hear your thoughts.

A few wishes and lifestyle things that may be relevant:

1) more space is desperately needed. We have six kids under 10, and I'm constantly tripping over kids in the kitchen, and our current dining space can hardly fit us all, plus high chairs and booster chairs. we need more room in the kitchen, more room in the front entrance, more space at the dining room table...

2) my biggest dream is large pantry. With so many people, we buy a LOT of groceries at a time. We want a big pantry, big fridge. I currently have groceries stored all over my house: Hall closet, under beds, etc. Its not ideal.

3) I prepare 3 meals a day in the kitchen, and we eat three meals at our dining room table.

4) I like the idea of having a large, one-level island with no appliances in it (still going back and forth over a prep sink...) and lots of seating.

5) we will be re-using our slide-in gas range, but getting all new appliances otherwise. But in regards to appliances I have very simple tastes. I don't need a steam oven or anything fancy. But We do use our microwave a lot. I'm a lazy cook.

6) in regards to the layouts, only the exterior walls are load bearing, and any of the rest we are fine with moving or tearing down. The one dividing the current kitchen/living room is for sure coming down.

7)we will be re-locating the stairs leading to the basement to the new family room addition. Its just too crowded having the basement stairs, laundry room door, and front entrance all jammed into a 4 foot area. And moving the stairs frees up a lot of space that I want to utilize in the most efficient way possible.

8) while I'm not behold to anything in my proposed layouts, I do love having the sink centered on the window. My current sink is facing a blank wall, and I hate it.

9)Also, I put the gas range where it is in the new layouts simply because that is where is is now, and its easy to vent out that exterior wall, but I'm totally fine with moving it. We have plumbers and electricians and contractors as family members.

Current layout:

Comments (50)