SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amber_lynn51

How would you decorate this blank space above the toilet?

Amber Lynn
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

I have a very busy bathroom tile. It is opalescent and picks up every color of the rainbow and looks different day vs. night. I am at a loss on how to decorate above the toilet. I am considering hanging a somewhat simple picture that pulls in the cabinet and one or two of the tile colors (one picture I'm considering is shown in photos). My other thought is to get a decorative shade for the window and just put a couple of glass shelves with decor (candles, etc) above the toilet. Here are some photos. It is very hard to shoot photos of a small bathroom! Any advice you have would be greatly appreciate - thanks in advance!

Comments (61)

• Lyn Nielson
    2 years ago

I would paint the wall behind the mirror/vanity/toilet the blue you have.

the tile won't look like it's out there by itself, and the mirror will look more attractive with the blue background. Add the framed art above the toilet.

you have plenty of light, leave the window uncovered.

Amber Lynn thanked Lyn Nielson
  • User
    2 years ago

Art.com has the option to pick among different frames. Or you could try a custom frame shop

Amber Lynn thanked User
  • Related Discussions

Blank and open space above the toilet. What to do with it? [PIC]

Q

Comments (6)
    do you have space between the toilet and shower for a tall skinny storage cabinet? that and hang a large pic over the toilet and that should cover most of the space.
    ...See More

How can I decorate above the kitchen cabinets space??

Q

Comments (4)
    Fake ivy twining all along the top would be perfect. NOT! The space is fine empty, with no decoration, usually that is best. Usually people who post with no punctuation and no photos do not return. But for others looking at this thread, IMO there is one display item that is OK on top of cabinets. (photo not mine)
    ...See More

How would you decorate this eat in area in an open space?

Q

Comments (10)
    Thank you! It’s not a rug but a carpet in the family room. I will be removing it and adding light maple hardwood flooring to match the kitchen and eat in area. But for now the carpet stays. The walls are a light beige/gray. It’s very pretty. Here is another picture with different furniture. I like this color palette but the wing chairs might be too formal for the area. I’n the eat in area, I would like the statement and elegance to be in the light fixture and the color in the chairs and a round distressed table. Any recommendations for these furniture pieces? After this I will begin looking for specific pieces for the living area, but these pics gives a good vibe of what I envision. Yayagal, I like the look of the sofas And chairs.
    ...See More

I have a wall space above my bed and I am not sure how to decorate it.

Q

Comments (1)
    IMO the first thing you need is aheadboard then the space left over is for your pictures. Maybe 3 framed hung at the same level as the octogon window above the headboard.
    ...See More
  • Amber Lynn
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Hi Lyn - Thank you. I understand why you would say paint the entire wall blue from the pictures I posted. I'll post another that shows the cabinetry in full. It might be a bit much to make the whole wall blue in this small bathroom, but I do agree something is missing.

• Amber Lynn
    Original Author
    2 years ago

rtpaige03 - I love art.com! I ordered the print from there today and will look into local framing locally.

• Lyn Nielson
    2 years ago

even with the full picture, I'd still paint it. it's not too much.

Amber Lynn thanked Lyn Nielson
  • elcieg
    2 years ago

I would wallpaper the entire bathroom. Let the backsplash tile be the star of the room.

Graham and Brown vinyl faux grass cloth wallpaper.

Amber Lynn thanked elcieg
  • Jeff Meeks
    2 years ago

Whack a Rothko up there

• elcieg
    2 years ago

Interesting suggestion, Jeff Meeks. Do you think a Rothko would looked good "whacked up" on the neutral wall over the toilet? And, you are okay recommending OP buy and install, in the bathroom, a piece worth in the millions? Or are you a salesperson for greatbigcanvas. Full disclosure here.

• KW PNW Z8
    2 years ago

@Amber Lynn - just saw your added picture! I did not realize that left side blue ”wall” was side of a tall cabinet! Now I understand your concern about dripping on the cabinet when reaching for towel! I agree & would definitely not attach any kind of towel holder to the cabinet!! In this case I’d place a towel hook to right of mirror a bit above backsplash so a hand towel barely touches splash. And, because I see in mirror that you have towel hooks on opposite wall I’d vote for using a hook - try to find a smaller one.

Amber Lynn thanked KW PNW Z8
  • shirlpp
    2 years ago

Just food for thought.

Amber Lynn thanked shirlpp
  • User
    2 years ago

I think the countertop and wall color blend together. Maybe a soft lighter blue on the walls

Amber Lynn thanked User
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    2 years ago

I would carry the green from the tile onto the wall However, it's a bit disturbing that the counter and toilet are biscuit in color and the art is so very white.

Here's a different example.

Amber Lynn thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • everdebz
    2 years ago

The "blue has it" -- there's an option of metal, and playing with shapes --

HomArt Monroe Brass Honeycomb Wall Case · More Info

Diamonds 3 Level Shelving System, Gunpowder Gray · More Info

Amber Lynn thanked everdebz
  • everdebz
    2 years ago

Possibly have bottom edge of 'toilet item' at same horizontal line as top edge of tiles.

Wood and Metal Triple Hanging Shelf · More Info

• everdebz
    2 years ago

Could choose according to your house decor style - this could be sleek toward contemporary/// second, maybe a driftwood companion piece to shell-like look of tiles... though mine here are quite too rustic.

Shadwell 22" Glass Vanity Shelf with Beveled Edges, Matte Gray · More Info

Slatted Shelves, Set of 2, Turquoise, 30" · More Info

• everdebz
    2 years ago

Ha joke -- encourage cleanliness, and hang unopened bars of soap on the hooks... [or seashells large enough to be decorative].

Marit Metal Wall Shelf, Black 26x31 · More Info

• everdebz
    2 years ago

Modern Multi Colored Metal Wall Decor 92140 · More Info

Coastal White Capiz Shell Wall Decor 13063 · More Info

• Jeff Meeks
    2 years ago

@elcieg I wish I was a Rothko salesperson...I'd love the commission. No agenda other than I like Rothko and there are lots of color variations available...and framed posters are easily available. I put a copy of one over my toilet and I like it a lot.

Amber Lynn thanked Jeff Meeks
  • everdebz
    2 years ago

Easy wipe off if needed.

Ready2HangArt 'ABS XVII' Abstract Canvas Wall Art, 40"x30" · More Info

"Curving Waves II" Print, 20"x28" · More Info

• everdebz
    2 years ago

Martin Johnson Heade Hummingbirds and Apple Blossoms Gallery Wrapped Canvas · More Info

• Jeff Meeks
    2 years ago

Hummingbirds?.....that's a big NO! from me.

• everdebz
    2 years ago

They're pretty, why and why not and why say it? favor to Koetsier flower, and not for hummingbird. ;)

• Jeff Meeks
    2 years ago

@everdebz Sorry, I just couldn't help my self ie. I could not "....look on and do nothing". But it's just an opinion and so of no intrinsic value.

• Maureen
    2 years ago

It’s important to coordinate mirror and wall decor; style, size and placement wise. On that note, before choosing, I was struck with the mirror overlapping tile and the awkardness.

If interested, I’d use a shorter style for a nicer look.

If you prefer long, a pivot mirror, which sits away from wall, would be more complementary.

Now look for the right art.

Keep it simple and let the subject create the interest (vs vibrancy), so as not to compete with the tile.

In regards to the hand towel, I love my turkish towels as they are interesting and fast drying. My hand towel is lying flat on a tray. You can also add a 3M removable hook and place on cupboard or wall.

Amber Lynn thanked Maureen
  • Amber Lynn
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you ALL for the great suggestions ~ I have a lot to look through and think about. Definitely more options available than what I was limiting myself to!

• lynartist
    2 years ago

Beverly’s right about the too white! I’m wondering why you didn’t run the tile all the way up!

Amber Lynn thanked lynartist
  • lynartist
    2 years ago

Not a very good mock up but; sorry but then paint the area over the toilet blue as a backdrop for art.

• lynartist
    2 years ago

• lynartist
    2 years ago

Hope this is a better mock up!

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

You just need some color and accessories. I like the art over the toilet, but I'd add a shelf below it

a few design options. I gave you some sconces on this one

Maybe a green plant. for sure some type of plant

here's a darker shelf

Or do a glass and nickel version

You might want to hang some plants from the ceiling over in the corner. you have a nice window, so utilize the light

bring in some vibrant greens or even a bold pink w/an orchid or flowers.

can you do a nice color rug of some type? or a ceiling light? (not this one, but it looks like you have taller ceilings. maybe something w/some texture?)

Similar to yours. this art is fine, but over the toilet is still blah.

some floating glass shelves would look nice. bring in texture w/woven baskets, towels, jars, plants

see if any of these blue/gray paint colors would look better than your current wall color

here's a French Gray wall color w/two blue/gray/lavender prints

Amber Lynn thanked Beth H. :
  • Amber Lynn
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I really like these ideas. To answer the question above from lynartist about why I didn't run the backsplash tile up higher, and to explain how I ended up where I'm at, here is the backstory: I contracted with a well known local interior designer for a kitchen, bathroom and living room remodel, but her assistant was primary in the beginning when many of these design decisions were made. Obviously not enough oversight was in place. Without getting into too much detail, said assistant made some errors along the way that were egregious, but they were able to be corrected, but did cost me more time/labor on the construction side. At some point during the construction phase, her boss stepped in for project oversight as I had lost my confidence in the assistant's abilities. At this point now, with the construction completed, I don't choose to continue to work with them to resolve the issue with the bathroom. The only other thing I know that was planned for this bathroom was a roman window shade with some blues and greens, which I did not order. I know there was no art planned as the other areas had art already put in the design presentation pics. I was so in love with the cabinets and the colors and other features of the bathroom that didn't realize how stark this room would be until it was completed.

• everdebz
    2 years ago

'Air du Temps 2' Canvas Art by Sylvie Demers · More Info

• everdebz
    2 years ago

'Vivaces' Canvas Art by Sylvie Demers · More Info

• everdebz
    2 years ago

Designart - White Stained Glass Floral Art' Floral Metal Circle Wall Art, Disc o · More Info

• everdebz
    2 years ago

Keya Abstract Metal Sculpture · More Info

• everdebz
    2 years ago

like art gallery, could display one item on a shelf.

Chamberlin Sculpture · More Info

• everdebz
    2 years ago

2 of these, staggered at different heights -

Coastal Green Glass Wall Decor Set 75070 · More Info

• shirlpp
    2 years ago

@Amber Lynn, you can still finish it. I brought the tile right above your toilet and others have put a shelf there.

Truthfully, if you're not going to continue with the tile - then consider removing it.

• amykath
    2 years ago

I feel the issue is that the left side of the bathroom looking at it straight on the left side is heavy compared to the right. You need to figure out how to balance that. Are you tied to that mirror. I feel it could be attributing to the problem. It is thin and tall - which makes the left side look heavier.

I thought this was of interest.

Amber Lynn thanked amykath
  • Jeff Meeks
    2 years ago

The conclusion I take away from this thread is that you can buy some truly awful art on houzz.

• Amber Lynn
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you for all of the great advice. Thanks Everdebz for all the pictures ~ several of those are really intriguing to me and under consideration. Aktillery9 ~ actually I am not drawn to that mirror at all. My preference is beveled edges for one. Thank you for pointing out how the proportions of it don't work. That may be the first thing I replace.

I appreciate everyone's help!!

• everdebz
    2 years ago

Amber, the choice you showed at first is good... I have the eucalyptus print in my home..

• arcy_gw
    2 years ago

You paid a designer, mistakes were made, it cost YOU more???? I would not add more of that tile. That tile was out of vogue before it was applied. If you don't need the storage of open shelves for needs in a bathroom I would hang a picture and be done. It's a bathroom.

Amber Lynn thanked arcy_gw
  • shirlpp
    2 years ago

That may be the first thing I replace.

Good idea! That is why I tried to show a frame around it.

• Gcubed
    2 years ago

I would consider replacing mirror, removing tile, and/or painting the neutral walls or adding wallpaper (if tile removed). The cabinets are a beautiful color. If you do shelves, I think a wood tone would warm up the space. Also, the lighting looks quite "yellow"- maybe try changing some bulbs to see true colors

Amber Lynn thanked Gcubed
  • Lizzie Borden
    2 years ago

Following

• Amber Lynn
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Gcubed ~ The light does shine whiter in person, so it may be the camera lighting that makes it appear yellowish.

Mistakes were made and lessons learned for sure. The tile may be out of vogue, but I do love the colors and opalescence of it. In person, it goes really well with the cabinet color and sparks joy (to me). :) But then there is the major balance issue that can't be overlooked. As several of you pointed out, the mirror isn't working here and the area above the toilet needs *something*. Also possibly a different wall color to provide contrast and balance as well.

Fortunately, these fixes can be done relatively inexpensively. Thanks again to all of you for your input!

• Amber Lynn
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you, dsimber ~ I appreciate your kind words and I will definitely post my end result!

• Lizzie Borden
    2 years ago

Amber, I agree. The art you chose will look lovely over the toilet. I'm also at this point in decorating. I have blank walls in my bath too that needed attention.  Beth gave me great ideas also, and it is coming together.
    I love your blue cabinets. I can see how they would spark joy. Good luck with this and I look forward to seeing how it looks when finished. ;-))

Amber Lynn thanked Lizzie Borden
Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting