SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nair_leju

Addition to an old home

Hi- I have old home perfect rectangle 40 ft width by 50 ft length. It has a basement, so the first floor starts 4 ft above grade. I am planning to add a new home of similar length but 30ft wide and connect the house by a big doorway.

question

1. Should I use the old foundation along the length by drilling in steel rods or dig a new foundation along the length of the old home's basement wall and frame the new home alongside the old one?

2. My new home addition will not have a basement, so instead of making 4 feet stem wall above grade, I am planning to go 8 to 10 inch above grade. This will make the floor of the new home lower than the old home. However, it will give me a much higher ceiling height. I plan to extend the the floor joists from the old home and make floor joists for the new home. Will it create higher load on existing old foundation? or is it better to build a completely new home using new foundation and new framing (no cost saving though), without connecting joists between old and new home. Definitely, I plan to merge the attics and the roofs.

any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Kiui

Comments (5)