SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cookebook

A Trader Joe's list

cookebook
2 years ago

I have searched all the Trader Joe's posts and most of them are fairly old. I am going this weekend for the first time in about 10 years. I had one near me at one place I lived in Houston. Does anyone have any new must haves from there? I found one near me in Austin that is also close to a big HEB and a Costco so I'm in for a foodie weekend, which is good because food shopping is the only kind of shopping I like!

Comments (28)

• sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)
    2 years ago

I'm not a TJ shopper but my other cooking forum is gaga for the scallion pancakes. Used many ways especially breakfast with eggs.

(SeriousEats has a great recipe so we make our own)

cookebook thanked sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)
  • plllog
    2 years ago

Not new, but excellent nuts and dried fruit.

cookebook thanked plllog
  • Related Discussions

Finally a score at Trader Joes

Q

Comments (1)
    Congratulations! Here in Eugene, OR, I was told by a friend who grows & knows orchids that the Trader Joe's orchids are supplied by a local grower. I hope that is true of all the TJ stores (one of my favorite stores).
    ...See More

jams and fruit pectin

Q

Comments (4)
    Commercial pectin is not 100% reliable, but I have also found some jams do require more cooking time than the directions call for. It can be hard to know these things when you're just beginning. Overripe fruit will definitely cause problems because it doesn't have much natural pectin and strawberries tend to be low anyway. With regular pectin (not the reduced-sugar Dave mentioned) you do have to use the amount of sugar called for. If you reduce the sugar the jam won't set. (Not that yours did anyway, but you see what I mean.) Using 25% underripe berries will assist in setting. Since it's difficult for you to find pectin, consider buying in bulk. There's an example at the link below, but pectin is available online at several suppliers and you may find a better price elsewhere. If you end up paying $5.00 a box, even with shipping bulk pectin is a savings. Carol Here is a link that might be useful: Bulk Pectin
    ...See More

noid Parade mini from Traders Joe's

Q

Comments (2)
    Thanks Seil. The blooms are changing to yellow from apricot.
    ...See More

Sliced, unopened prosciutto from Trader Joe--expiry was Dec

Q

Comments (7)
    Uh, oh. I just used a package of prosciutto from Trader Joe's. It didn't smell, but did not taste very good, either. I used it to wrap melon slices for an appetizer. Almost no one ate them. When I ate one, it had an odd mouth feel. My husband ate the rest. and the remainder of the package, a day later, was chopped and fried a bit for a cream sauce topping. No one got sick, but still....I did not check the date.
    ...See More
  • gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    2 years ago

tangerine juice

everything but the bagel seasoning

yellow Thai curry sauce

Mediterranean hummus (cuz I'm lazy and theirs is as good as mine)

lemon rosemary spatchcock chicken

cookebook thanked gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
  • chloebud
    2 years ago

^Agree with the nuts and dried fruit. Some good prices on dried herbs, too.

These aren't new but I like some of their prepared salads, such as the Pasadena Salad and the Crunchy Slaw. If it appeals, you might try their Orange Chicken. I tend to keep some in the freezer for easy meals. Some great prices on liquor and wine, too. Just take your time to look, and maybe try something if it looks good. Opinions vary and there are definitely hits and misses. Sometimes you just have try something yourself.

I've been a TJ's shopper for a very long time. When I first started going there they only had one store in the country here in Pasadena. These days I could pretty much shop there blindfolded.

cookebook thanked chloebud
  • lisaam
    2 years ago

Dairy products - kefir (esp. mango), organic milk, yogut 6-pk mango / peach combo, shelf stable whipping cream

corn salsa + tri-color corn tortilla chips,

crackers-norwegian flatbread & the little toasts made with dried fruit,

cookies - almond butter thins or triple ginger,

yes to nuts, and dried fruits especially unsweetened mango & unsweetened cherries, dehydrated berries.

if you use chocolate in baking, the 1lb 72% cacao bar is good

harissa and chili crisp

cookebook thanked lisaam
  • lisaam
    2 years ago

White wine - Emma Reichart riesling ( pleasantly dry) @6.99 or Espiral vinho verde @ 5.99 - both are great warm weather cocktail wines.

cookebook thanked lisaam
  • CA Kate z9
    2 years ago

Every trip I make to TJs includes: cereal; vitamins; pre-made Oatmeal in freezer section; Blintzes in freezer section; apple juice in fridge section; and frozen entrées of one kind or another. Those are standard but I look at all sorts of other things and usually check out with a basketful.

cookebook thanked CA Kate z9
  • chloebud
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Yes to lisaam's suggestion of the Butter Almond Thins.

Also, I found this list I once posted on another forum. It's been awhile, so some items might not be available now.

Lettuce (various)
    Potatoes (try the baby Dutch)
    Baby bell peppers
    High Lycopene Tomatoes (from Holland)
    Butter Almond Thins
    Sesame Thins, Multigrain Crackers
    Nuts
    Cheeses
    Dried fruits (I buy their cranberries and cherries most often...try their dried white peaches)
    Dried spices/herbs
    Artisan breads
    Organic Orange Juice
    Greek style yogurt
    Sour Cream
    BBQ Sauce (their "Carolina Gold" is nice)
    Frozen veggies (I buy a lot of spinach, peas, corn, broccoli)
    Frozen grilled teriyaki chicken
    Frozen Mandarin chicken
    Frozen shrimp (uncooked)
    Frozen berries
    Olive oil (I like their President's Reserve and California Estate)
    Canned artichoke hearts (much better than the frozen)
    Capers
    Mandarin oranges
    Organic Marinara Sauce (good in a pinch - not too sweet)
    Lemon Artichoke Pesto

Garlic Spread-Dip (great with grilled lamb, beef, pork, poultry)
    Wines/liquor
    Flour (they no longer carry King Arthur but TJ's brand is good IMO)

cookebook thanked chloebud
  • Olychick
    2 years ago

I love their Mushroom Truffle Ravioli/Triangoli in the fresh food section. Their other stuffed pastas are yummy, too. I can get my grandson to eat the Spinach Cheese Tortellini and sneak a little spinach into his diet.

The Butternut Squash Ravioli, the Lobster Ravioli, Ricotta and Lemon Zest Ravioli are all really good. I like their organic Persian cucumbers, the bags of organic Pink Lady Apples, organic fresh Blueberries. We really like the Precooked Uncured Bacon. It's not quite so fatty or salty and crisps up in the microwave in about 3 minutes. I also buy the Mandarin Chicken once in a while and the frozen cooked Brown Rice to go with it. Easy, fast meal! My grandson loves the Black Bean Tacquitos (frozen) and I like their Chicken Soup Dumplings -a Chinese style steamed dumpling, as well as their Chicken Cilantro Pot Stickers - both also in the frozen food section.

cookebook thanked Olychick
  • bragu_DSM 5
    2 years ago

tj mayo, and the spices. zhoug sauce is really good too

cookebook thanked bragu_DSM 5
  • Fun2BHere
    2 years ago

cookebook thanked Fun2BHere
  • carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    2 years ago

I buy certain things at TJs, but I don't think they'd all be considered special by everybody. A lot are because TJ's has the best price.

Things unique to TJ's that we like a lot:

Their Chili/Lime seasoning is really good. I use it on roasted sweet potatoes and chicken. Everything But The Elote seasoning is great on popcorn - which reminds me their Corn Dippers chips are yummy and come in plain and Elote seasoned.

We also really like the organic Naan crackers. I haven't tried the garlic ones yet.

cookebook thanked carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
  • Lars
    2 years ago

I like their sesame sticks.

We went there a couple of days ago to buy a basil plant. They have decent sized plants in what I think is a 4" pot, and I've had these plants supply me with enough basil to last a month. For $3.95, that is a bargain for fresh basil. It is almost too hot right now for me to leave the plant outside all day, but if I water it enough, it is okay. It's warm at night right now, and so I leave it out all night also.

I buy biscotti there, and I used to buy ice cream. They used to have a coffee flavored ice cream, but I don't know whether they still do. I buy their pound+ chocolate when I need it.

One disappointment was their toffee, and I noticed later that it has milk in it! This makes it taste like caramel instead of toffee.

I also bought some Harissa.

The stores here have nice orchids for cheap.

cookebook thanked Lars
  • annie1992
    2 years ago

I haven't been to a TJs in two years, since the pandemic started. Maybe soon, things are calming down a bit with fewer cases.

I always buy nuts and dried fruits and stock up on their PoundPlus chocolate for baking. I usually get some Dubliner cheese, but I've found that at my local Aldi recently. I like their Triple Ginger Gingersnaps and Elery likes their Chili Lime seasoning on fruit. We never buy anything from the frozen section because it thaws before we can get it the 60+ miles home, even with ice packs. They do have some seasonal items and I always pick up some gluten free pancake mix for my daughter.

Annie

cookebook thanked annie1992
  • Lars
    2 years ago

I also love their gingersnaps, but I try to avoid the temptation of buying them.

cookebook thanked Lars
  • cookebook
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks everyone! My octogenarian parents just went ape over the tangerine juice. The first thing they eat every day is a tangerine. I also got some very nice looking Greek extra virgin olive oil some bleu cheese, tomato feta soup and a few other odds and ends. That everything but the elote seasoning looks good. I'll definitely pick up some of that next time. My sister-in-law, Noelia, had never been to a Trader Joe's so she had a good time too. Thanks again for all the suggestions, and Happy Valentine's Day to all!

• frankginakay
    2 years ago

The best thing that I have found are their Chocolate Covered Pretzels.... and the Praline Pecans. Try and not to buy every trip though~ they call my name if I have them at home!

cookebook thanked frankginakay
  • blubird
    2 years ago

One problem with Trader Joe's is that they are constantly discontinuing items we love. in the past year they've discontinued their delicious rice crackers, the sweet potato bisque, the mandarin orange chicken, and a cranberry nut bread which was outrageously delicious.

The turkeyless turkey and cranberry loaf which appears around Thanksgiving is tasty.

Their chocolate and nuts are well priced and delicious. And the little avocados are consistently great.

cookebook thanked blubird
  • Judi
    2 years ago

blubird, the orange chicken has not been discontinued. It continues to enjoy a popularity that I fail to understand. I finally bought it last week and tried it. So disappointing after reading all the rave reviews.

Favorite Overall Product and Favorite Entree: Mandarin Orange Chicken

There are few items at Trader Joe's as iconic as the Mandarin Orange Chicken, so it's no surprise that the product won in both the Favorite Overall Product and Favorite Entree categories. The brand's Vice President of Marketing, Tara Miller, noted in the podcast that this item has received an award every year since the Customer Choice Awards were founded, so it just may be deserving of a Lifetime Achievement Award.

https://www.eatingwell.com/article/7943813/best-trader-joes-products-2022/

cookebook thanked Judi
  • carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    2 years ago

FWIW, I think, over the past 2 years of this pandemic, many items have become unavailable, rather than discontinued. At our local TJ's, I've noticed some regular/popular items disappear for awhile and then return.

cookebook thanked carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
  • olychick
    2 years ago

Based on some posts here, I decided to look for something with elote, which I was unfamiliar with - settling on their dip with Elote seasoning. Boy, I do not share the love. It was like thousand island dressing with some heat and corn added. Not to my taste at all, and I truly don't understand why it would be a favorite, but, of course, we are all different.
    Won't be on my shopping list again!

cookebook thanked olychick
  • plllog
    2 years ago

Olychick, I'm not much for actual elote. It's messy, I'm not fond of cilantro, and rarely butter corn let alone mayo-ing it. But the standard flavor profile, chili powder, lime juice and cilantro, is enough to make people, especially those with the cilantro lover gene, very happy, setting even without the corn and mayo, Sorry the dip didn't work out, but you might like chili-lime-herby in a different setting.

cookebook thanked plllog
  • olychick
    2 years ago

Hmm, I didn't get any cilantro flavor at all; that might have saved the dip, as I usually love it. Thanks.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    2 years ago

I don't think you should assume the seasoning blend is the same as the dip. Definitely not like 1000 island dressing. It's more of a spicy cheese sprinkle with some sweetness and plenty of heat. Pretty sure it's the same seasoning as on their Elote chips.

• Judi
    2 years ago
    • olychick, I don't know how you get Thousand Island dressing out of the dip. Greek style yogurt, corn, garlic, Parmesan, and chipotle pepper powder. Are any of those ingredients in the salad dressing?
  • olychick
    2 years ago

Maybe because of the color? It was spicy, it was creamy with chunks of corn. Not a fan.

• blubird
    2 years ago

@Judi, you are correct that the Mandarin chicken hasn't been discontinued. It was the Tempura chicken which we liked better that was discontinued.

Sponsored
Trish Takacs Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars36 Reviews
Award Winning & Highly Skilled Kitchen & Bath Designer in Columbus