SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
originalpinkmountain

Updating a 1960s recipe for Hungarian meatballs and sauce

l pinkmountain
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

My Dad was complaining about the lack of variety and blandness in his diet (ironic because he is so picky which excludes most foods with any flavor or combinations of ingredients) but it is what it is. One of the things he said he liked but couldn't make was meatballs. Being mostly vegetarian and not liking the meats used for meatballs anyway, I do not have any experience making them. But I hauled out one of Mom's community cookbooks from the early 60s which she and many of our family friends contributed to, hoping to find some ideas.

One of our closest friends who died last year from covid, (after surviving the Holocaust with her mother in a work camp in her youth) was from Hungary and the cookbook contained one of her recipes that my Mom contributed. Its for meatballs in a tomato sauce, which calls for ketchup and sour cream as the flavoring. I'll make it more spicy with real Hungarian spices and use tomato paste to thicken the sauce, but the other ingredient that stumps me is "a can of drained kidney beans." So that takes the dish more into the realm of what I grew up knowing as "goulash" which was hamburger, noodles, tomato sauce and whatever else the particular cook wanted to throw in . . .

So I'm not sure whether to just brown the hamburger without making meatballs, and then throw in the kidney beans and make the sauce and then serve over noodles, (which in this case would probably be macaroni), or make the sauce and then add the meatballs and kidney beans and serve over some type of longer noodle, which right now would have to be broken up fettuccine because of the egg noodle shortage. That seems a little weirder to my experience, particularly because in that case I would want to throw some Parmesan cheese over the top, which isn't Hungarian. I used to live in a town where I could get fabulous Bulgarian creamy feta, but not around here. Even the regular feta is sub par. I could also serve the meatballs with a shorter pasta, like bow ties or macaroni, I'm just not familiar with eating them that way. Even when I eat them, or make vegetarian ones, they get served with long noodles of some sort . . . but I am open to expanding my culinary experiences, lol!

Anyone ever had or made a Hungarian dish of similar ilk? I want to stick as close as possible to the original recipe, which does not say what to serve it over. I very often make dishes from recipes passed down from departed balabustas to honor their spirit. "Balabusta" is Yiddish for "boss" in the sense of "master home maker" or "master of the house." the "a" on the end means it's describing a woman, Balabos is the male version. Nowdays it means something more akin to modern slang of "boss" as in "that's a boss outfit" or "she's a real boss musician." etc.

Ava's Meat Balls and Sauce

1.5 lbs ground beef

1 small onion minced

paprika for color

1 tsp. A1 sauce

1 tsp. minced parsley

1/2 tsp. oregano

1/2 tsp. rosemary

1.5 tsp. salt

1/4 tsp. pepper

Form 11-12 meatballs, roll in bread crumbs, brown in hot oil.

Sauce

1 8oz. can of tomato sauce

3/4 tsp. salt

1/3 c. ketchup (I think I would use tomato paste here, with maybe a little garlc, paprika and red wine for seasoning)

1/2 cup sour cream

1 can kidney beans, drain and rinse

Combine ingredients. Add meat balls; simmer about 10 minutes. Serves 4-6.

Comments (34)

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm