SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hanzliks_hanzlik

what are some old people things that you do?

sal 60 Hanzlik
2 years ago

I use cash or write checks-- never use my credit card. What about you?

Comments (138)

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    2 years ago

I’ve always hated using the phone. I would rather walk into town than phone a shop or office. Email, text and WhatsApp have been great developments for me. I can communicate with people without wasting their time and without wondering if it’s an inconvenient time to phone. I have also finally taken up running thanks to the Couch to 5k app on my phone. I tried many times before but always gave up. There are a million useful things it can do and recently it has become even more vital for travelling, showing one’s Covid pass, uploading passenger locator forms, checking timetables, navigating cities, booking events etc. Without it Christmas in Rome this year could not have happened.

During Covid lockdowns online shopping has been a saviour, although I already did a lot. I haven’t done a big supermarket shop for years.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

@functionthenlook, you are missing the point :-) It is not about not accepting the newest devices involved but steadfastly holding on to outdated methods simply because one is a) not familiar with newer, more efficient methodology, or b) afraid of perceived risks that may be associated with that newer methodology.

Being afraid of progress, moving forward or refusing to accept new technology is kind of a key symptom of "elderliness".....and not necessarily in a good way.

btw, NO ONE that I know still has a landline :-)

• Related Discussions

Have to tell you, I saw a lot of OLD people, now I feel old!

Q

Comments (19)
    Glenda, I'm so glad that you had fun at your reunion! Stan and I went to my 25th and we had a ball. We sat with a big group of my girlfriends and their husbands and the fellows all got along so well that you would have thought that it was their reunion! My 40th is in two years and I'm planning on being there. I always think about the speech that Suzanne Sugarbaker(on Designing Woman)gave at her 15th class reunion...this little bit is from just about the end of the speech, I always think about it when thinking about going to class reunions... "Because when I look around this room tonight, I don't see receding hairlines and the beginnings of pot-bellies and crow's feet. I just see all the beautiful faces of old girlfriends and sweet young boys who used to stand on my front porch and try to kiss me goodnight. And you can remember me any way you'd like, but that's how I'll always remember you."
    ...See More

I didn't realize how hard it is to do some things when you dont'

Q

Comments (20)
    As i said my nails didn't fall off but they were grey striped,and red spots,yet they were very strong,and i'll never figure that one out.I actually used one of my nails to screw a screw back into something that had become loose. Now that chemo is over,my nails are no longer discolored,and they grow but are very soft.I was going to try the biotin,but when i read the label it had soy in it,and i have to steer clear of soy as well,so i didn't buy it. Kat ,i hear ya,when it comes to picking things up,i told DH the other day when i went back to work years ago after having kids,i got the job i applied for because i had good finger dexterity,now i have trouble picking up the pills i have to take!!! Hope your nails come back nice and strong,and your hair too if you lost it. (((((((((((((((((KAT))))))))))))))))))))))) Kathi
    ...See More

Any Old Timer Frigemore People Here? What Do You Have Now?

Q

Comments (7)
    Still have ours from 2002. It's just the two of us unless we have guests, which always seems to bring on marathon washing sessions (??!?). No noise, no leaks, no nothing (which, I'm sure, will jinx it as we've been on an appliance-replacement parade this year). Definitely would buy another FL but would have to figure out what brands and features we might like. We won't decide that till these die.
    ...See More

Why do you think some people are reluctant to take vaccine?

Q

Comments (55)
    "That's easy it is an as yet not totally recommended by the AMA, medicine." This is a bit of a non-sequitur. As far as any individual is concerned, the experts that matter are those who are now unmuzzled at the CDC and NIH and able to speak the truth. Listen to their recommendations and follow them, they're all like-minded in recommending the immunizations for everyone. If in doubt, ask your doctor, you'll hear the same story. . I have a number of healthcare providers in my family and all were very glad to be in the first tier for the vaccine so that they could feel more comfortable providing care to their patients among the general public. As the old saying goes, people vote with their feet. If physicians were happy to be given priority (and rightfully so), what more is there to know?
    ...See More
  • functionthenlook
    2 years ago

Gardengal, as long as a method works for the person, why do they have to change just because there is technology out there to use that has the same end results. Let alone having someone calling them uninformed and stubborn for something they don't want or need. I knew a very sweet man that only had a flip phone, period. He worked, had a home and vehicles, raised a family, paid his bills etc just like anyone else with technology. It didn't make him less of a person because he didn't use technology. It wasn't that he was uninformed about technology he just chose not to use it.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    2 years ago

I have a landline, gg! And a mobile.

• LoneJack Zn 6a, KC
    2 years ago

^^ I completely agree. If I don't perceive a tangible benefit in new technology or at least only a minor benefit that I will make use of, I will be slow to or never adopt it.

That being said when it comes to new technology for my fishing boat I am all in this year. I just added a GPS controlled trolling motor that automatically keeps the boat stationary or will follow a programmed path from point A to B. I also bought a Livescope fish finder that gives such vivid underwater images that it is almost like cheating. You can actually see the fish going after the lure.

• jmm1837
    2 years ago

I like to think I'm reasonably up to date with technology. We do have a landline because, where we live, it's bundled with the internet, but we never use it to make calls and seldom get calls on it (except for robocalls from politicians and scam artists threatening us with arrest).  I use my mobile phone for calls, putting appointments into the calendar, taking photos, signing in to shops (every business here  has a QR code for covid tracing), and its now holding the QR code for my prescription as well.  And of course, maps. I haven't got around yet to putting my credit card on it, but will do so. Can't remember the last time I did a paper transaction for anything banking related: the notion that paper is more secure strikes me as odd, given that all our banking and credit card records and transactions are held by the bank, government agencies, etc in electronic format anyway (and frankly, I trust their security more than I trust the Post Office).

My better half has Macular degeneration, so the dictate/voice function on the laptop has become a godsend for him when it comes to email, etc.  And yes, we do get our newspaper in electronic format.  Most of our bills as well.  

I admit I haven't used on line shopping a lot simply because the nearest supermarket is a five minute walk. I do use it for wine orders, occasionally for books and the like so it's not tech-aversion that keeps me from using it more. Maybe it's an age thing that I like to select my own vegetables and try on clothes before purchase.

I think probably the most "old lady" thing I do is go to hydrotherapy for assorted aches and pains:  while not everyone in the sessions is old, the majority are seniors coping with arthritis, joint replacements, etc. We're a crotchety bunch ;)

• maddielee
    2 years ago

When someone makes a statement like; ”but NEVER use my credit card for any reason on line. And absolutely I will NOT do any banking on line.”

My question is why? If they think their way is safer, then they are mistaken.

People who seem to be proud that they don’t have a smartphone always sound like they are bragging that they refuse to want to learn and change.

Also as a senior citizen embracing newer technology that allows your pharmacy to text you when your scripts are ready, completing ‘paperwork’ necessary for doctor’s appointments, ER visits, appointment making etc. on your smart phone is a convenient, secure way of doing business. Why not use it? Is it fear or stubbornness?

I’ve recently have had to use Valet parking (daily for a few weeks) while my husband was hospitalized. When leaving the hospital room, I was able to notifiy (text reply on smart phone) the valet that I was on my way. My car was ready and waiting for me when I got to the front door. People without phones had a much longer wait. A nice convenience that may not be necessary, but after a long day it sure was nice.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    2 years ago

@maddielee, that was exactly the point I was trying to make. But you said it much better than I :-)) If it makes your life easier and more convenient, why not adopt new technology? To adamantly refuse to certainly indicates a very strong stubborn streak to me. Or fear. Or uninformed about the benefits and the usage. IMO, an 'old person's' viewpoint.

• OutsidePlaying
    2 years ago

Maddielee, I totally agree with you.

We use valet parking when we go to certain cities because it is the best option. Checkout and using our phone to alert the valet saves a lot of time and we’re on our way.

My pharmacy even sends me an alert when it’s time for a recurring prescription refill with a link to do so.

I suppose my one ’senior’ perk is naps but i would never undervalue a nap at any age.

• Zalco/bring back Sophie!
    2 years ago

Maddielee, I am so glad your husband is home.

• maddielee
    2 years ago

Thank you @Zalco/bring back Sophie!, even his doctors are calling him ”miracle man”.

• Elmer J Fudd
    2 years ago

Well said, maddielee. It's odd some find it necessary or admirable to brag about having what amounts to what was once called a "Luddite" attitude. Fighting against and distrusting change simply because it's change. Insisting that using a horse and cart was a more reliable means of transportation when gas powered vehicles became available and affordable.

I also find it funny that many people think using "technology" is somehow a sign of youthful ways or youthful thinking. Tools of all kinds provide capabilities and ease of use often not available otherwise. Using or not using tools, having or not having capabilities, are all choices with consequences.

• lucillle
    2 years ago

There has to be both incentive to use new technology, and a way to learn one's way around. Since we're talking old people, there may be vision/hearing deficits that make learing more difficult. I myself am fortunate to have a millenial son who is talented and up to date on a lot of technology and helpful in explaining my occasional questions.

I do think that some of the people judged to be stubborn old curmudgeons are apprehensive about learning new tech whether it be from physical deficits or just that they need a bit more time than others to understand.

• littlebug zone 5 Missouri
    2 years ago

This reminds me - as few as 10 years ago I refused to use cruise control! Why? Cause my DH told me to and through pure stubbornness, I didn’t. But then my kids encouraged me to use it so I finally I tried it. Can’t do without it now.

Two weeks ago I was at Walmart with a few items ready to check out. But of course there was one checker open and 2,475 people in her line. I looked over at the self-check stations and saw an acquaintance using one (she’s probably 12 years older than me). So I tried it. Easy peasy. Who knew?

• Elizabeth
    2 years ago

Self check out . YUCK. I am not a curmudgeon or a Luddite. I just do not work in that store nor am I a trained cashier or bagger.

• arkansas girl
    2 years ago

OH heck, I always use the self check-out if available! I was so happy to find out that our ALDI got self check-outs! Makes it so much faster and easier, IMHO.

To hold off on getting smartphones for me wasn't stubbornness actually, but lack of the need for it. We had phones that worked fine and we have our PC/laptops Internet connected so really didn't feel the need for it. We did finally get them but it's funny, it hasn't changed me life one bit. Still just as boring as it was before the new phone...HAHA!

• littlebug zone 5 Missouri
    2 years ago

I understand that we have been accustomed to real live checkers and baggers when we shop. But there’s no rule that stores have to provide them.

My DH’s response to the new trend is that he just doesn’t go in Walmart any more.

• Elizabeth
    2 years ago

I initially thought it was just cheaper to install self check outs than to hire cashiers. We do the work without being paid.

• Elmer J Fudd
    2 years ago

"I do think that some of the people judged to be stubborn old curmudgeons are apprehensive about learning new tech whether it be from physical deficits or just that they need a bit more time than others to understand."

Yes and no. There's probably not one color to paint such people with. The world wide web feature of the internet was opened to the public in 1991. There wasn't much content, or much to do (I know, I had to use it because of several clients I had at the time). Add a few years and consider this - smartphones were available 20 years ago. Online retail sites were open more than 20 years ago. Someone who's 75 today was 55, just 20 years ago. Age is no longer the same factor at that point for these people, why weren't new practices explored and some adopted?

For many, I think it's just a flat reluctance to change. Closed mindedness. For too many, clinging to old practices and not availing of new ways is because of a lack of intellectual capability or curiosity often accompanied by obstinacy. Compare and contrast views stated in prior contributions - "Why would I want to do ...X" versus "I hadn't tried it before, it's a cinch".

• lucillle
    2 years ago

There's probably not one color to paint such people with

I agree.

As I said above, I do think that **some** of the people have barriers of one kind or another. And you are right, some don't. But for those who do, a bit of help can sometimes make a difference and encourage participation.

• maddielee
    2 years ago

“For many, I think it's just a flat reluctance to change. Closed mindedness”

Or they dont know where to go for help and dont want to seem unknowledgable by asking?

2 years ago

The senior center in my town always has classes on the latest technology.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    2 years ago

A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of small minds, perhaps?

I do think resistance to change is a common human trait, but some of us are more resistant than others, and the things we choose to resist differ as well. I think the term 'prejudice' can apply.

I try to make a conscious effort to go outside my comfort zone - within reason, of course. It gets harder as I get older. There can be so much comfort in the familiar, but I feel new experiences keep my brain young. It sure keeps me from getting too bored 😀

And I've appreciated self checkout for years now. I'm glad to see more of it in stores. I prefer to bag my own stuff, and these days, the less contact with strangers, the better.

2 years ago

Ooops, turns out there are no more tech classes at our senior center, which probably reflects Elmer's point, this newfangled tech stuff has been around a while.

• Bookwoman
    2 years ago

I would be happy to use self-checkout more often, if only the machines worked well. In the supermarket I usually go to they have a full-time person standing there to deal with all the glitches, some of which are due to clueless shoppers, but most are because the machine itself is doing something wonky. It usually takes less time to use a cashier, since I tend to shop when the place is relatively empty. And I usually do my own bagging, just to speed things up.

• Jupidupi
    2 years ago

I was watching Dobie Gilles (RIP Dwayne Hickman and Bob Denver), a TV show from the early 1960s. In the show, Dobie's father ran a grocery store. I noticed that customers would give his father their grocery list and he'd fill it while they stood by the register. I'll bet that some people who were used to that kind of service probably resented the first supermarkets with their find-it-yourself style, the same way that some people currently resent self-checkout.

• glenda smith
    2 years ago

My father's family owned neighborhood groceryi stores. Every family member worked at some time in their lives in the grocery store.

My father had a jeep that delivered groceries.

• lucillle
    2 years ago

this newfangled tech stuff has been around a while.

It seems to me that there is always newer fangled tech coming down the road, it doesn't seem to be a 'once and done' deal.

2 years ago

It seems to me that there is always newer fangled tech coming down the road, it doesn't seem to be a 'once and done' deal.

That may be so, but I think the basis for using the tech becomes easier, not harder over time. Back in the early 2000s I hired a woman to teach Junior Leaguers how to set up their own personal blogs. This required actual coding and an understanding of some internet protocols. Not many years later, we got Blogger and Wordpress which did all the hard stuff for you. I wish I had thought of those businesses!

Using a smart phone is much easier than using the internet pre WWW, etc. Scanning photographs, setting up family text chats, vlogging, these have all been a round a long time now. It's not quite like an oldster getting his first AOL CD in 1993, wondering what that was all about.

Also, let's not forget, some people cannot see past how the world looked when they were 18. My step father worked for IBM and thought my desire to have a computer in 1982 was ridiculous. Whatever would I do with such a thing? We had a very nice Selectric in the house :-)

• Elizabeth
    2 years ago

" I think it's just a flat reluctance to change. Closed mindedness. For too many, clinging to old practices and not availing of new ways is because of a lack of intellectual capability"

NOT NICE TO SAY.

• Elizabeth
    2 years ago

I think I am pretty good at new ideas as I made a very good living in creating software. You may very well be using portions of it right now.

Thanks.

• arkansas girl
    2 years ago

I would liken the idea of needing the newest tech items to that of "do I need an electric can opener when this manual one works just fine". I just don't need a tiny little phone to browse the web when I have a 17" monitor in my house to do it even better than I can on a small little phone. I have been trying to give browsing the web on the phone, since I have it, my best effort and for the life of me, I cannot see what all the fuss is about. To be quite honest, I believe that people are using their phones because they simply do not know how to use a much more complicated PC! The phone is so simple a 5 year old can use it...a PC, not so much....

2 years ago

Arkansas girl, et al, imagine your great great grandparent saying the same kind of things about electricity or indoor plumbing. Indeed electricity is far more complicated than kerosene lamps, but that is where the world was going and being old means abdicating your place in the new world, which, dare I say, is sad and cause for concern. Being left behind is not good for your mental health. It is a type of disengagement with society that dooms the elderly.

There are nuances, of course. The self check out is an example. I don't tend to use it, though I can. Am I being obstinate and out of date, or demanding value for my money? But as I get older, I can assure you, I will interrogate my preferences and make absolutely sure I am moving forward and not slipping into irrelevance.

• Elizabeth
    2 years ago

I have never understood the preference for a tiny cell phone screen over a big monitor either. But I guess that's just how I roll.

I also did not connect my microwave or dishwasher to a phone app.

• jmm1837
    2 years ago

"I have never understood the preference for a tiny cell phone screen over a big monitor either."

I don't think that's the issue.  Of course a decent sized screen is much easier to work with - if you're sitting in your office or study.  The phone comes into its own if you're lost in an unfamiliar city and need directions, or if you want something to read while you're sitting in your doctor's waiting room, or if you want to fast track your airline check-in by using an electronic boarding pass.  I can whip out my phone and take a photo, enter the date of my next hair appointment into the calendar before leaving the salon (and get reminders of that appointment across all my devices) and of course, these days, produce my Covid vaccination certificate (a requirement here for many venues).

The phone isn’t an alternative to a desk or laptop: its biggest strength is its portability, and that makes it useful for a whole different set of situations.

• Elmer J Fudd
    2 years ago

"The phone comes into its own if you're lost in an unfamiliar city and need directions, or if you want something to read while you're sitting in your doctor's waiting room, or if you want to fast track your airline check-in by using an electronic boarding pass."

I agree. But someone who wants to continue doing tasks in familiar and long practiced ways isn't interested in what you're describing.

A friend who's our age always has a nice car and always gets them with 3 year leases so as to regularly renew her wheels. Her car is a very nice mid-range BMW that has an excellent Navigation system that receives up to the minute traffic data and offers re-routing suggestions when conditions warrant. (I'm familiar with it, I have one too but I use the onboard Nav system). When travelling somewhere new, she uses her PC to enter the trip in Google Maps, clicks on turn by turn instructions, and prints them out to follow on the drive. Her iPhone can of course give her turn by turn directions in audio form (through the car's sound system) as can her car's built in system. No, that isn't how she does it. Rinse and repeat similar stories for a significant portion of the population. PS - this person has a PhD but in a non-STEM field. She also prints out plane tickets and her itineraries in paper form (we've travelled together).

• samkarenorkaren
    2 years ago

I like to take naps. I do miss the land line and the answering machine. And of course the caller ID box attached to the phone. .

• Bookwoman
    2 years ago

She also prints out plane tickets and her itineraries in paper form

So do I: Amtrak tickets, plane boarding passes, and itineraries. Phones can run out of battery or otherwise glitch so it's always good to have a paper backup. And I like to annotate my itineraries with a (gasp) pen. I generally find it much faster to make a quick note on a piece of paper than to enter it on my phone.

However, I do use my car's navigation system. I consider GPS one of mankind's greatest inventions, as I have a terrible sense of direction.

• jmm1837
    2 years ago

"I generally find it much faster to make a quick note on a piece of paper than to enter it on my phone.""

We all have different ways of doing things. I put all my appointments into the electronic calendar system because I can't rely on myself to find that piece of paper, or even remember to look for it when the appointment date approaches 😉

All I was really pointing out, though, is that the phone isn't meant to be a replacement for the desk top, but an adjunct to it. Another tool in the tool kit, so to speak. It just seemed to me that the comment about the size of the screen compared to a PC represented a misunderstanding of the features that can make a mobile a very valuable tool in its own right.

• jane__ny
    2 years ago

I'm 73 and can't even imagine living without my iphone. I equally can't imagine living without a computer. I worked most of my life in the medical field. You really didn't have a choice as technology changed. We always kept a landline when we lived in NY due to power outages. The landline always worked. Haven't had one since moving to Florida. My phone has everything I need. My banks, credit cards, calendar, photos, reminders, etc. I truly can't imagine going without it.

Due to my advancing age, I keep it with me when showering, working in the yard, doing anything where I might fall or get hurt. I have my newspaper subscriptions on my phone and spend the morning drinking coffee and reading the NY Times and Washington Post.

What do I do as an 'old lady," would be to hide some money in the house, however I actually started that in my 40's. I had a habit of putting any money left from the last paycheck in a jar or canister to always have extra cash in the house. I still do it. Now I hide it because it was stolen a few times by cleaning people.

I rarely need the cash, but somehow I feel better knowing there is a few hundred laying around in the house. Oddly, last week my garage door broke. I immediately got on my phone and Googled 'Garage Door Repair.' Called the first one in my area who said he could come right away. I was so relieved. He came, replaced some springs, etc. got it working. I pulled out my checkbook and he said he does not accept anything but cash! It was eight o'clock at night. I said I did not have $500.00 on me. He said, 'I'll come back in the morning.'

I remembered my little stash of money and got the $500.00 cash and gave it to him. I also decided I would never call him again and made a note on my phone.

All financial transactions are done online. I have alerts set up with my bank to let me know if my balance gets below a certain point, or any money over a certain amount comes in. Its just so handy and has saved me from overdrawing. All bills are on auto-pay, just about everything I do is done electronically.

I can't understand why some people are so against using the incredible technology we have. It truly makes life so much easier.

Jane

• lily316
    2 years ago

I have the landline because it's in my FIOS package and we have four receivers scattered around the house to answer. My iPhone is rarely looked at when I'm in the house because I have a very large screen h/p desktop with a comfortable chair beside it. We also have two iPhones,a laptop, two iPads, and Apple watches. We pay all the bills we can online and rarely write a check only if necessary. After getting a paper every day for all the decades of our married life, I told him to stop it. It's expensive and I read all the news online and watch local news every day on TV. It's a waste of paper and my time to thumb thru it.

• jmm1837
    2 years ago

@jane__ny I'm your age and share your viewpoint (except about iphones - I'm an android user!) Particularly with financial matters, I find the technology really useful: I get notifications of every card spend over $100 and of course I can access my bank and card statements whenever I want - and they're time accurate. Some of my bills are auto pay, some I make the electronic transfer, but I haven't paid by cheque for anything in a long time.

I can format and print off the tax-year stuff whenever I need to. I've never encountered an issue with electronic payments for income tax, property tax, utilities, books, wine or Netflix. To name but a few. For security, it definitely beats putting a cheque in the mail. And I don't have to stand in line to make the payment.

We have about $100 in cash at any one time, mostly to pay the lawn mower people plus some of our market stall people still want cash. Most, though, prefer electronic - the Square is ubiquitous here.

Particularly since Covid, there's been a big move to cards or electronic funds transfers: lots of shops where I live simply won't take actual cash. I think the virus is pushing us into the adoption of tech, whether we want it or not. I was impressed the other day with an elderly lady doing her QR check-in at the supermarket: she mentioned to someone that she was 91. Good for her!

• salonva
    2 years ago

I straddle between embracing technology and not embracing it. I manage fine but as I mentioned before, I just find the itty bitty screen and buttons not conducive to a lot of research or entertainment. I can't read a book on it but usually will make sure to have my kindle with me if I anticipate a wait somewhere.

Regarding the directions and tickets to places, I do use the phone navigation BUT I have had instances where for whatever reason, the phone or satellite or heavens knows what does not cooperate and I am just out of luck. I have had it happen driving somewhere relatively local and thankfully in a lovely area but totally unfamiliar to me -so it was less of a major problem. I had to pull off the road, turn off the phone, wait for it to reboot and get me back on track. So I definitely understand those who print out directions or tickets as backup.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    2 years ago

FWIW, although it may seem like it, reliable internet service isn't available everywhere.

And I refrain from judging people for their personal choices, as long as they're not harming others. We can never know for certain what each person's reasons are for their behavior.

Rather than judging, I sometimes feel a little bit sorry for people who seem to have trouble adapting. We are not all the same, after all.

• Elizabeth
    2 years ago

I recently spoke to an officer at my bank. She mentioned that she pays all her bills by check and mails them out. I was surprised but, of course, said nothing. To each their own. It works for her.

2 years ago

^^^^^^^ It is retail banking ;-)

• Judi
    2 years ago

I do miss the land line and the answering machine. And of course the caller ID box attached to the phone.

Still have one. I don't want to be tied to my smart phone. I rarely use it. It's sitting in my purse and probably needs to be charged. I hate that everything on it is so small. Dh uses his all the time.

I prefer my MacBook. I should say dh's. Mine died last year and I've yet to replace it. Guess it's past time for a trip to the Apple store.

• Elizabeth
    2 years ago

I have no cell signal at home but I can use it via my Wi-Fi. I have no need for another phone in the house so it is my "travel phone". Great to have in the car and I use the Waze app all the time.

• Indigo Rose
    2 years ago

"A mini cell tower for your home". I wonder how much radiation that emits. People seem very unconcerned over this, but all wireless devices emit radiation.

• Elmer J Fudd
    2 years ago

"People seem very unconcerned over this, but all wireless devices emit radiation".

That's true, they do. As do many other things, like microwave ovens, TV sets, power lines, etc. Is your comment a way of saying that you don't have a cell phone, portable phone, nor have or use Wifi in your house? Have you thought about the radiation when using a laptop computer or tablet connected to Wifi? How about when you leave your house? Many public places, like shopping locations, schools, airports, sports and other venues, town squares, etc., have the full-strength type of transmitters and strong Wifi signals in and on the structures. Cell signals are strong and antenna are rather dense in some places. As along all highways. The ones in public are much stronger and each antenna site usually has 3 or more broadcasting systems, one for each different carrier. Signals can carry several miles without obstructions. Are you cognizant of such locations and avoid them?

I cite all of these things because electromagnetic radiation from many sources is a reality of the modern world. There is no evidence that any amount of normal exposure from any of these things is dangerous and much of it has been studied extensively. Not impossible if some is later found to be dangerous but not yet so demonstrated.

The mini cell site's transmit signal strength is adjustable and I have both turned down from 100% to a level necessary to provide an adequate signal where we want to use them but not higher. It's relatively weak - outside beyond about 25 feet from the structure's wall on the closest side, the signal isn't strong enough to connect to. Someone whose home is close to a public site probably experiences much stronger radiation of this type indoors and out.