SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hanzliks_hanzlik

Why do you think some people are reluctant to take vaccine?

sal 60 Hanzlik
3 years ago

I just don't understand why. With all the deaths why would they take a chance?

Comments (55)

• nickel_kg
    3 years ago

Some people are contrarians: if "the man" says to do something, they do the opposite -- without critical thought.

Some people are distrustful: if "the establishment" says something, they think there's a coverup.

Some people blindly follow whatever they are told.

All of "those" people are intellectually lazy -- they could work themselves out of ignorance (on any subject, not just vaccinations) but won't take the time or trouble. That's stupid.

A very few people have real medical issues to consider, and consult medical professionals before taking or declining actions.

Many of us are trying our best to keep up with valid courses of action, and understand recommendations change as more becomes known and situations change.

• Related Discussions

Debbie Downers,.. why do some people see

Q

Comments (24)
    My late MIL was like that, all the time, ALL THE TIME. I honestly think part of it is mental illness. She actually complained to me about being left with money, when her husband died. That she would have been better off if she'd been destitute. HUH? I came to the realization that complaining made her "happy". Her sick version of happy, anyway. Poor thing ripped thru about 2 million dollars in just under 15 years, I guess she was trying to get to that destitute level on her own. I have to distance myself from downer-types as they will try to drag you down with them and I refuse to go. And not only was she negative, she was needy, too. She needed to be entertained all the time and needed to go someplace every day. She wasn't happy just "being".
    ...See More

Why Do People Call Active Elderly People...

Q

Comments (52)
    I truly don't understand how or why anyone is offended at ma'am. It is a sign of respect to others. Weren't you raised to say yes/no ma'am and yes/no sir to others in response to questions? I was taught to say it to any command, reprimand from an adult, I.e. no running in the school as well as general questions from anyone I didn't know, I.e. waitress asking, are you done with that plate? Age has never been a factor. If the cashier who is clearly younger than I am in the store asks if their is anything else I need, I reply with, "no ma'am", if I need help from that clearly younger man in the store I don't say, "excuse me young man (to me, THAT is patronizing) I say, excuse me sir" Maybe it is regional? I've only ever had a few people get upset and say something to the effect of I'm no ma'am/sir!!! Which just makes me think, obviously or you wouldn't act that way.
    ...See More

Why Do Some Kordes Roses Not Bloom or Take More Time to Do So?

Q

Comments (2)
    I am not sure why roses take a while before full bloom, but you can definitely tell the difference between the bloom of an immature rose vs a fully grown rose. The immature rose blooms seem to have fewer petals and are smaller. In addition to the flowers, the stems are also thinner. I think it's just a matter of The roots being able to handle the job.
    ...See More

Will you take the vaccine?

Q

Comments (38)
    My infant/toddler brother was one of the first people vaccinated for measles back circa 1960. He lucked out because we then lived in NYC, where much of the first batches were sent to. He also lucked out because *I* (obviously living in the same apartment) had a terribly serious case of measles, that lasted a couple weeks or so). I am glad it worked out for him. I wish the vaccine had been around sooner. At any rate, I'm not going to be first in line for this coronavirus vaccine. I'm going to remain careful until actual data are in, and I think with my immunological training, if I have access to some source data and journals, I'll decide for myself if ready for the vaccine. I also hope other types of treatments are properly vetted - various drugs and what-not - that will cure or mitigate the disease. I don't necessarily expect cures from that source, but it is very likely that the disease can be mitigated following proper research. PS. I don't take the flu shot every year - but I did for about six years after having the flu so severely I went to a walk in clinic and they supplied me with a high oxygen humid air treatment for an hour or so. Before I'd gone there, the only time I didn't cough was when I was in the shower, steam coursing all through me. AS SOON AS I stepped out, I was coughing again.
    ...See More
  • nickel_kg
    3 years ago

Good points, yeonassky. I appreciate your compassion.

I was thinking of my Dad's dementia, it's luck that he tends to be trustful, because there's no way to get him to learn anything new any more. I hadn't thought of people who simply don't care to be scoffed at. That's a real issue too, not to be discounted.

• yeonassky
    3 years ago

Thank you nickel. I was about to erase it as I had thought I had spoken out of turn again. Proof of the whole lack of comprehension skills abilities.

• chloebud
    3 years ago

amylou's response is pretty much what I've heard.

• aok27502
    3 years ago

My in-laws (82 and 76) are refusing. I think because they get most of their information from Facebook. Early on she whined that she didn't WANT to be microchipped.🙄 I'm not sure what their current excuse is.

Oddly, as the rest of us have been able to start the vaccination process, she thinks it's great that we're able.

• sjerin
    3 years ago

Well said, Yeonassky! It’s a good reminder to me too.

• patriciae_gw
    3 years ago

Perhaps have a more traditional vaccine will help. Pfizer and Moderna are very new types of vaccine. some people might find that scary but J&J is the standard old fashioned sort that people get every year for flu. Hopefully the reluctant will feel more comfortable with that. With the compelling evidence of just under 550,000 deaths in one year and multiples of that for people living with long term consequences people should be afraid to do nothing but of course many people will choose that. The sad to me are not the scared and reluctant, it is the ones making it political.

• Sammy
    3 years ago

My letter carrier‘s reason for not getting vaccinated is she believes that God will protect her.

• User
    3 years ago

My main reason for getting the vaccine (if it ever becomes available in my state for my group) is so that the restrictions can end. I want to see people back to work and children/ young adults back in school. If I was younger and had a longer lifespan ahead of me I would be more cautious about taking a vaccine.

• User
    3 years ago

I'm just in no rush. I'm not working anymore, so mostly sit at home. We only leave the house if we have to and the only people allowed inside our home is our youngest son and our grandson. We don't visit anyone and avoid crowds when we do run to a store. We do most of our shopping in the morning. I managed to avoid Covid for a full year working retail, when three co-workers did get it (not from each other). So, I'll wait a few more weeks to make sure those who really really need it, get theirs first. With social distancing and masks still mandatory here even after the vaccine, there's no rush.

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    3 years ago

These are my thoughts about the reasons given for not taking one of the COVID-19 vaccines available to us.

It is too new/not tested enough

I am so glad that people didn’t hesitate to receive the polio vaccine or the smallpox vaccination.

No idea what the long-term consequences could be from it

As for the smallpox vaccine, I am not aware there was any resistance to it, and today the world seems to be free of the dreaded disease. As far as I have been able to determine, no one knew what the long-term consequences would be to that vaccine.

If you get the disease, odds are high (99%) you'll survive it

Odds may be high that one will survive COVID-19, however, the long term effects of the disease on peoples’ bodies is something to be feared: kidney problems, mental health problems, lung issues, etc.

It doesn't stop you from getting the virus

It lessens your chances from 100% to less than 6%.

You still have to wear a mask and social distance, so why bother?

Because when/if everyone takes the vaccine, we will no longer have to wear a mask and social distance. Also, wearing the mask and practicing social distancing certainly is not a terrible, reprehensible responsibility. Can doing so be frustrating, absolutely; but it is not truly burdensome.

Risk of side effects

I have studied the side effects and collected data regarding side effects. So far, the data has indicated sore arm, fever, occasionally chills, fatigue and all only for a maximum of three-four days. That is certainly much better than getting the disease.

They have medical conditions that might make side effects more of an issue

That is one area I have not studied. I will say though, that with all of the health care people I know, I don’t recall any of them mentioning/naming medical conditions that would be a reason not to take the vaccine.

healthy lifestyle will keep her safe from getting sick

Many years ago Adelle Davis was an nutritionist/author who was famous and well respected for her belief that one would live a very long life and stay healthy by eating only healthy foods. She was absolutely stunned when she was diagnosed with cancer and died from it in 1974.

God will protect her

I have no doubt there is a God. I also have no doubt that God gave our scientists the brains and wherewithal to develop this vaccine for COVID-19.

• sleeperblues
    3 years ago

Someone I worked with said she had done credible research and she didn't want to be microchipped. Mind you, she attends a fundamentalist church where they writhe on the floor and speak in tongues. You'd never know it from looking at her or talking to her though. My sister and I'm assuming her husband refuse to get it. It's political for them, although she said she never gets the flu shot either. They both smoke, he's had two heart attacks. sigh

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Everyone we know who is eligible has jumped at the chance. A friend of mine did tell me that a couple of his employees are hesitant and he is working on them, encouraging them. Just having had an appointment to receive his first shot himself.

One holdout: my accountant has been stalling, and I've only gently suggested. She is diabetic, has had a heart valve replacement, is age eligible, and so crazy busy this time of year she's telling me she doesn't have a day or two to not feel well from the shots side effects. I'm walking softly, not trying to sound critical.

When discussing it with two nephews who are 30ish, they both sounded hesitant to have a shot so quickly developed. I get that, and wouldn't have been in a rush myself if circumstances were different than this pandemic has been. This last year is hardly normal times. I'm hoping by the time they are age eligible, they will be more open to the shot, both have babies at home.

• Rusty again
    3 years ago

And then there are the 'antivaxers', who have been fighting to keep their children from getting the normal 'shots' that schools require. I can't help but wonder what they think this world would be like if no one had ever discovered/invented the polio vaccine, or the small pox vaccine, or any of the other vaccines that have all but wiped out so many diseases. And some of those diseases are beginning to come back now that people are refusing to 'endanger' their children with those 'poisonous' and 'unnecessary chemicals'.

Rusty

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    3 years ago

"she had done credible research and she didn't want to be microchipped"

I'd love to know what that "credible research" was and who authored it!! What total nonsense!!

• maifleur03
    3 years ago

There may also be another reason beyond what is posted above. They may not be able to receive the vaccine. I posted a couple of weeks ago about being turned away because I had problems swelling after taking a medicine. I decided to just lie so signed up through the state registration hoping the shots would be given at a hospital or clinic. None were listed and none of the sites that I have found although connected to medical sources are at a medical site. While I accept the risk other will not.

Unlike the information at the earlier registration the ones I have been looking at now include swelling from allergies or medicines of any type just as originally written needing an EPI pen.

• arcy_gw
    3 years ago

That's easy it is an as yet not totally recommended by the AMA, medicine. It got emergency approval but it has not completed all it's trials or testing. I have always remembered the advise the Doc gave me when pregnant for the first time. We were discussing my once a day diet coke/caffeine/no caffeine/artificial sweeteners. She said caffeine has been in diets for generations. Artificial sweeteners are another animal. They are NEW and medical science cannot guarantee what that chemical is doing to future generations. This vaccine appears to be a lot of positive things--but fact is it's in its infancy. #2 Some bodies are SUPER sensitive to chemicals and many people have has very adverse affects to 'common' medicines.

• nickel_kg
    3 years ago

If you have internet access, it's easy to google "why was covid vaccine developed so fast" and get many articles. It's not that difficult to pick and choose a couple articles from sites that look to be scientifically valid; click and skim a few, and see if there is a consensus. IF you can do that, but CHOOSE not to put even that small time and effort in, instead CHOOSING to remain in ignorance on an important question, that's a shame.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    3 years ago

I've heard that microchip argument before...it's that bill gates was involved in the funding and they are inserting microchips in to people with each vaccine so the government can track you.

I've also heard about the more general anti-vaxx movement where they are lying about the covid numbers, it isn't as deadly as they say so there's no need to get a vaccine.

And there's the libertarian argument that anything the govt wants you to do must be bad so don't do it...don't get a vaccine, don't wear a mask, go anywhere you want and do what you want and stick it to the government.

• socks
    3 years ago

She researched on that highly-esteemed scientific website, "Facebook."

• LoneJack Zn 6a, KC
    3 years ago

The process for getting an animal microchipped is similar to a vaccine but with a larger needle.

At least I will never have to worry about getting lost in the woods when mushroom hunting, never to be found!

Maybe that is why there is a current world wide chip shortage needed for manufacturing cars and such. Maybe Orwell was right!

• jewelisfabulous
    3 years ago

Sleeperblues -- You could really mess with your co-worker by telling her that they decided not to put a microchip in the vaccine as they know where most everyone is at all times anyway because of their cell phones. :)

• Jasdip
    3 years ago

With the blood clotting in Europe, people are definitely reluctant to take the Astra Zenneca one (sp). That's the one that my age group 60-64 will get when my turn comes. I'm going to get it.

But yes, there are people who believes their immune system is top-notch, and that it protects them better than a mask does.

• User
    3 years ago

People are more willing to believe a YouTuber who does all his research while in his underwear living in his grandmothers basement, than an actual scientist. BTW, do you know what size gage would have to be used for a microchip? hahahahahahaa

• jrb451
    3 years ago

I used to think why should I get a shot if everyone else does and we have herd immunity. That was up until 1998, then I got the Flu. I haven't missed a vaccination since.

• Tim Wood
    3 years ago

I was happy to take the vaccine, but I can understand why some people might wish to wait, especially those in the low risk category. It's called the law of unintended consequences.

• share_oh
    3 years ago

My parents both got covid last Nov. My dad died from it in Dec. My mom (83) is refusing to get the vaccine so far! I get beyond frustrated with her. I told her that her immunity won't last forever. She is one of those who thinks she's healthy enough to not need any type of vaccine... like the shingles vaccine and of course she got a very bad case of shingles and was miserable for months.

Last I talked to her, she was considering getting the J&J since it's only one shot but she won't act on that for a while, if ever. Right now here you can't choose which one you get.

I have a couple friends who are also trying to decide if they want the vaccine or not. I don't honestly know how our friendships will fare if they decide not to. : (

• sabrinatx
    3 years ago

I actually had to make an agreement with my mother (70) to get the shot. She lives alone and is afraid of the reaction she may have to the shots. I completely understand where she is coming from. I promised her I'd stay with her to make sure she was ok. So that helped. She is wanting the J&J vac, why because it's only one shot.

For me I'm afraid of needles, like really afraid of them. It takes every fiber of my being to have blood drawn and I'm 46. Mentally I know my fear is so stupid but I can't control it. I'm also waiting for the J&J vaccine and I promised my mother that I would get that shot with her. I have us on a couple of pharmacy waiting list for the J&J vaccine. I just hope we can get it soon. Fingers crossed!

• sprtphntc7a
    3 years ago

littlespaces hit most of my reasons i have heard.

reality to the 'newness' of the vaccine is just false. this is the same type of vaccine used for SARS & MERS. they just needed the genetic makeup/code of COVID-19. all are respiratory viruses. this as been here for about 15 years or so.

it the lack of messaging getting out to the public that makes it seem like its new.

i know quite a few doctors, one research doctor in particular, who had no hestitation in receiving the vaccine, she is in her late 60's with many years of experience. she created a drug that is widely used today, knows people on Biden's covid team and has an 'inside track' if you will. if she is taking it, so am I!!!

again, so much of vaccine hesitation and overall COVID -19 virus understanding is because of mixed messaging, bad messaging, lack of understanding, false information, political messaging etc...

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    3 years ago

jrb, we felt somewhat similar about flu vaccines right up until about a decade before you. Only sometimes got a flu shot. In the mid 80's, DH had the flu and missed some work for the first time in his life. Worse, he missed his fathers birthday party since had a fever, his father was still living then. The morning DH returned to work, I couldn't raise my head from the pillow. I had it. We have not missed a single years flu shot since. We've never had flu again either.

• Elizabeth
    3 years ago

How about younger and middle aged people who say that they are young and healthy and if they do get Covid it would be no worse than the flu. Why risk a vaccination that is just too new?

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    3 years ago

You are not getting vaccinated just for your own sake. Saying you’re unlikely to get sick so you won’t do it is immensely selfish.

And re ’bloodclots in Europe’, 17 million people have received theAstra Zeneca vaccine and there have been no more blood clots than would normally occur in that number of people. The EU has got itself in a right tizzy over chopping and changing. Consequently, people are not receiving protection and are getting increasingly confused. As they go into a third wave. Meanwhile in the UK, we’ve just got on with it and now more than half the adult population has been vaccinated with no untoward side effects.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    3 years ago

"if they do get Covid it would be no worse than the flu."

Because that is simply not true! People of all ages - including very active, fit and healthy ones - have died as a result of the virus. And many others have debilitating long term side effects even when surviving.

• lucillle
    3 years ago

no worse than the flu

It's all about risk taking. On one side of the scale, you have many people who are infected with Covid but do not suffer serious effects. As pointed out below, the full extent of the effects are unknown. On the same side of the scale you have many people who get infected with Covid and die.

Traveling to the other side of the scale, there are vaccines which have not been used long and could and do have some side effects. As pointed out below, the full extent of the side effects are unknown. VERY few have caused serious damage or death. And there is a difference in effectiveness between the different brands.

So there you have it, there is some risk on both sides of the scale.

It seems to me that one side has a much greater chance of death. Personally, I'm not choosing that side, and I don't think any rational person would.

• OutsidePlaying
    3 years ago

I will preface my comment by saying that I have had both shots and DH has now had his. He was one of the reluctant ones at first and I will tell you why.

When he was ‘drafted’ he got every shot in the book (kept getting draft notices in the 60’s even though he was in classified 1s and in college, he just decided to get it over with and reported to the draft board). This was when everybody was lined up and given whatever shots the Army (in his case) decided they needed without asking questions about allergies. He saw a lot of guys with immediate side effects, so yeah, he has always had a concern about any vaccine, especially those that may have unforeseen side effects or seem ‘unproven’. We talked a lot about it, and he finally saw that the side effects were minimal and he decided to go for it. I asked him if he would rather chance feeling a little ill for a couple of days or be in a hospital for weeks on a ventilator. Plus not be able for us to see family again for a long time.

His arm wasn’t even sore. We are in excellent physical condition and always wear a mask and haven’t taken extraordinary precautions, beyond going out for our usual groceries and supplies and the occasional pickup meal. Our nurses/practitioners in the family also helped convince him I think too.

• maifleur03
    3 years ago

At this time it is not known what side effects people will have. Doctors may be aware of the short term ones. Doctors who are disease specific are probably aware of health problems that can develop that will not affect people until later in life. Expect to see a lot of breathing problems along with muscular difficulty as people age. Scar tissue will either stretch or build with repetitive damage such as breathing.

• terezosa / terriks
    3 years ago

I want to tell everyone who never gets flu shots and has never had the flu "you're welcome" on behalf of myself and all of the others who do get flu shots and thus create the herd immunity that they benefit from.

I want to get the Covid vaccine not just for myself, but for the rest of the population so that we can return to "normal."

• Elizabeth
    3 years ago

I think some younger people think they are 10 foot tall and bulletproof ( as the country song says ) Even if you point out younger people who have died, they dismiss it as a rarity.

• gale_t
    3 years ago

The only long term bad effects are from having Covid, not the vaccine. Get the vaccine for all of us

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    3 years ago

Surely they’re predictions for long covid, not for vaccination?

• PRO
    MDLN
    3 years ago

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    3 years ago

According to the CDC, there are a bunch of side effects - possibly long term - that are associated with recovery from the Covid virus. Even a mild case. And some of them are downright scary!!

Late Sequelae of Covid 19

• Richard (Vero Beach, Florida)
    3 years ago

I'd asked a snowbird neighbor and he said he wasn't getting it. Said he'd heard of too many people having bad reactions. From other things he'd previously said, I suspect he gets news from Facebook, Fox, maybe worse.

He works when he comes down. Physical work, mostly outside. I told him he might be healthy, getting lots of exercise and sunshine and he might fight Covid off and hardly know he even had it. But I mentioned his wife in there in the house that's overweight (I didn't actually say that), walks with a walker, has COPD, and what hardly slows him down might kill her. Before he left he said he hadn't really made up his mind yet, he might get it when he gets back to Pennsylvania. I hope he does.

• lucillle
    3 years ago

Good for you, Richard, in presenting the choice in such a rational and unthreatening way, giving him the opportunity to rethink his outlook.

• Jasdip
    3 years ago

"Expect to see a lot of breathing problems

It's exactly because I'm prone to bronchitis that I asked my doctor if I should get it. She said Absolutely. I also asked my pharmacist, and I hope that he'll be able to administer it; and he said that I should definitely get it.

• yeonassky
    3 years ago

I was told to get the covid vaccine as well and will do so as will the rest of my family. I am allergic on a sliding scale to the flu vaccine but got it last time and had no problems although they monitor me carefully. I'm always a little afraid. They are recommending that my sister who is also allergic to albumin but on a much more dangerous level to not get it. I will get it on her behalf. So will her husband and children.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    3 years ago

I've heard minorities have a great distrust of government it's the reason for the lack of vaccination. Please be reminded, I'm in medical research. So take it with a grain of salt. Either I'm being fed information, or it's the real information.

My very elderly parents are both vaccinated. They were happy to get vaccinated. Though, they both say that they are not worried about dying at this point. Both have breathing issues as it is.

• Elmer J Fudd
    3 years ago

"That's easy it is an as yet not totally recommended by the AMA, medicine."

This is a bit of a non-sequitur. As far as any individual is concerned, the experts that matter are those who are now unmuzzled at the CDC and NIH and able to speak the truth. Listen to their recommendations and follow them, they're all like-minded in recommending the immunizations for everyone. If in doubt, ask your doctor, you'll hear the same story. .

I have a number of healthcare providers in my family and all were very glad to be in the first tier for the vaccine so that they could feel more comfortable providing care to their patients among the general public. As the old saying goes, people vote with their feet. If physicians were happy to be given priority (and rightfully so), what more is there to know?

• User
    3 years ago

I do know a couple that had three of their elderly friends all in the same week end up in the emergency room with serious reactions to the vaccine. So they are unwilling to be vaccinated.