SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
paul_williamson76

Home Automation

Paul Williamson
2 years ago

I am starting the design of a new house of about 2,200 sqft. One of the requests by my wife is that all outlets have the potential to be controlled by an app. She does not like the idea of using external "dongles" on the outlets. Would it be possible to simply "route" the wiring for each outlet - not intended to be controlled by a switch in the room - but through a switch coming right out of the breaker box? This would essentially mean having a huge bank of 40 or so switches in the same room where my ethernet switch and other power stuff is. Essentially the intent is for all the switches to have split wiring, and the top outlet be controlled by a remote switch and the bottom be hot all the time. There will be local light/fan switches to control the main lighting in the home, but also the hope is these "stealth" switches to occasionally control other things like seasonal lighting.

If it matters, I plan on using Lutron Caseta. I have 51 switches in my current home split between 3 bridges (2 in the house and 1 in the exterior garage) connected by wired ethernet. From what I understand, each bridge can support 50 devices, so I should be okay.

Am I crazy for trying something like this?

Comments (2)