SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
taconichills

Smart home automation

taconichills
6 years ago

Wow, there is an ever growing number of option in this area. I am trying to figure out all the audio and video, z-wave lighting controls, and security cameras and many other available things before the sheetrock goes up. It really makes me dizzy.

I met with a guy today who hooks everything up through a network called Elan. It ties together all the audio, lights, garage doors, tv's, climate controls, driveway gate, lawn irrigation, retractable screens, and whatever else you could possibly want. It is overwhelming to figure out what is useful, what is trendy, what will be obsolete in 45 minutes, and what will just drive you crazy because its too complicated. I get along just fine now with zero home automation with the exception of our thermostat, but I figure it would be foolish not to enjoy some of the latest offerings in the world of home automation.

What have some of you who have recently built a home done with this world of home automation?

Clap on clap off, when life was so fancy...

Comments (18)

• User
    6 years ago

Here today gone tomorrow. Give me a device that has an iOS app and I am good. Tech changes so rapidly you'll be chasing the latest and greatest for ever. Friends have invested 10's of thousands of dollars in systems only to tear them out 18 months later due to compatibility issues etc. Good luck and you'll need deep pockets.

• Related Discussions

Home Automation - Ube

Q

Comments (4)
    buzzyng - I started looking tinto zwave as well, and jumped ship for this project. I am backing my entire system with an HAI panel and integrating these switches - along with all of my other sensors - doors, windows, etc. I am probably then going to throw in some zigbee locks. I am going to look to use haikuhelper or even the Ube app itself to put everything together. With Ube being so new, I figured it will take some effort. As I said in my old post from the Electronic boards, I had a chance to talk to Utz, the Ube CEO and talk about their goals and pick his brain. They have a much larger picture in mind than just these switches - he actually offered to call me after I had a bunch of questions for him via KickStarter.
    ...See More

Smart home / home automation with ductless a/c?

Q

Comments (3)
    Finding a ductless split that doesnÂt use wireless infrared communication with a remote stat or DDC type communication with a wall stat, is just about impossible. The major reason for this is most are manufactured or was at least designed overseas, thus the technology. I can think of one company, EMI by ECR Int. with some US roots, located in central NY that has AC/HP wall units that can still use a remote wired wall stat that should give you the contacts/points to control operation with a main control interface. Here is a link that might be useful: EMI
    ...See More

Home Automation

Q

Comments (7)
    a. No it will not make your home more valuable. The only advantage would be that it might help your home sell more quickly than one priced the same with the same level of other finishes that doesn't have the tech stuff. b. If you want to sell the house, you sell it for the going rate. See a. If you don't want to sell it, then you remove it before selling as sushi said. I had some expensive chandeliers and light fixtures in the condo I just sold. I removed them and replaced them with cheaper fixtures before putting my home on the market. I knew I couldn't charge more for the expensive fixtures but could use them in my new build. Lastly, in 5-7 years everything that you installed in your home will be dated so it definitely will not be worth more.
    ...See More

How to reduce multiple dimmers

Q

Comments (2)
    Ones marked for incandescent only (halogen is just a variation on incandescent) may not work with LED (or low voltage or fluorescent for that matter) fixtures. I've seen LED bulbs just flicker disturbingly when connected to such. No, I'm not aware of any LED-compatible multidimmers either. One option is that you could install some of the smart home automation dimmers elsewhere and then you can use a more compact "remote" installed in your backsplash to control it.
    ...See More
  • rockybird
    6 years ago

I spoke with someone the other day who sets up this stuff professionally. He also does automated blinds. I have an older house, but I think I will be using him to at least get all the ac units, motorized blinds, alarm system, a couple lights and temp control on an ap. I think it's several hundred dollars to set up, including equipment.

• User
    6 years ago

I regret not doing a bit more than I did. At least I should have wired for exterior cameras. We're gone a lot.

As for the other stuff, yeah, I visited a new build with a prospective contractor. They were wiring it like they wired our trading floor. Now, of course, you can get 50 mbps WiFi in the toilet if you want, so all those wires...pretty much useless.

I'm not 100% sold on Bluetooth sound so I wired the main living area. As for garage, lights, etc...I'm not sure having access from an app is very secure.

Good luck!

• User
    6 years ago

The widest range of compatible system is either Bluetooth enabled or runs on a home wireless network.

BEWARE of any system that has you sending through their "servers" and storing your settings on their servers ... because when (not if) they decide to force an upgrade you are truly screwed. Or when the ISP goes down.

Remember NEST thermostats ... suddenly they were no longer supported.

ALSO: don't install anything that doesn't have an easily accessible fully manual control as a backup.

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    6 years ago

Do you just adore expensive home repairs, not because of wear and tear but because it broke? If so, then go for LOTS of technology in your house and you will be sure to have a repairman at your house on retainer. KEEP IT SIMPLE! Technology changes so fast that you will blink and it will be obsolete, the company that supported it has gone out of business, parts are not available.

I want an automatic garage door opener - controlled by HomeLInk in my car. I want a security system that I set when I go out and deactivate when I return home. If I had a gate, I would want to be able to open it from my house - I don't live on that kind of property.

If you're dying for something extra, install a natural or propane gas (depending on what's available in your area) whole house generator. Now THAT you will find useful and they last a long time.

• Jim1405
    6 years ago

I've struggled with how much I want to do in the new house and have decided to keep it pretty simple. Will wire for and probably install exterior cameras and will more than likely do some interior lighting also. Plus I'm probably going to have them wire for power blinds on some select windows. Beyond that just the normal AV/network wiring that is pretty std in modern homes.

Down the road I will probably install a Wi-Fi enabled thermostat but that is a simple job that can be done later.

My current home is about as dumb and they come and I get by fine. The one thing I have installed that I absolutely love are a couple of Insteon (X10 like) controls for the lights in the living room. I've gotten so used the turning the lights on/off from my chair it would be like going back to a TV without remote control without them. So I know this is something I want in the new house. Not whole house but just the great room/kitchen areas.

As far a the generator suggestion it would depend on the area in which you live IMHO. Where I currently live it would be an enormous waste of money since the power very rarely goes out. Maybe once ever year or two for a couple of hours. There are a lot of other things that would rather put my money towards. But in a cold climate where the power goes out a lot it would be pretty nice to have.

• mrspete
    6 years ago

My current home is about as dumb and they come and I get by fine.

Me too. I currently have motion sensored lights in my walk-in pantry /laundry -- love that, but it's not "smart" technology. The only other thing I intend to include in my new build is a keyless door lock on the garage-house door. I have no desire for a security system or to control anything with my phone.

• taconichills
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I am doing a backup generator because we are in the country and outages are not uncommon. I never thought of this as being part of the smart home world though.

Its the lighting that I was interested in controlling in a "smart" fashion. I wanted to be able to flood the exterior with all the perimeter lights with one button, then also turn them off with one button. This also would come in handy when leaving to make sure you turned off all the lights. You could also have all the exterior lights on to sync up with the seasonal sunsets.

But I do agree that there will be lots of programming issues, lots of tech visits and repairs, and lots of wasted money. Some of the options for a smart home are just for impressing people, and some truly are useful and make life easier and more energy efficient. And some provide comfort in the world of safety. Motion inside would send an alert with live video feeds, fire alarms would send help and alert you, water in the basement would send an alert. Cold temps would send a freeze alert.

• PRO
    Columbus Custom Design
    6 years ago

I've been using the Iris system from Lowe's for almost three years and it's pretty impressive for a low cost, easy to install DIY home automation / home security system. You plug in a Hub, sync it with your Wifi, put the app on your phone and place the wireless plugs, sensors, etc. throughout your home.

You can make it as easy or as complex as you'd like. You can start out small and add to it over time. I have 4 outlets, two motion detectors, two door or window sensors, a thermostat, and an alarm keypad.

You can choose to self monitor the security system or pay a monthly monitoring fee. Using the app you can have lights turn off and on at certain times of the day or if motion is detected. You can monitor the temperature throughout your home and everything can be controlled remotely.

There are mixed reviews online for it but I've been nothing but impressed with it. I'm happy to answer any questions about it.

• wishiwereintheup
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I've been in the computer/tech industry for over 30 years. I was enamored with these sort of concepts when I was in my 20's, but no longer (just an old frump now). The most "automation" I have in my home is a remote control garage door and exterior lights on astronomic timers. My house is also about as dumb as they come and my new build will be as well.

But that's me. IMO, if you like the concepts and convenience and can afford it, go for it. Don't worry about obsolescence. Granted, anything you install will be obsolete in 10 years and not have all the latest features in as short as 6 months. That doesn't mean the convenience stops. Wealthy folks paid $85,000 in today's dollars (and up depending on the size of the custom install, in the late 1930's - still the Depression!) to wire their mansions for sound with a Capehart 500, including remote speakers and control panels. Stone age technology, but if kept in repair, provides the same function and convenience as 80 years ago.

The only problem obsolescence poses is for those whose enjoyment derives from having the 'latest and greatest'. If you are that sort of person, you might be better to limit yourself to items that are easily (and more cost-effectively) replaced.

A concern that has not been voiced here that would concern me with remote control phone apps is tracking and hacking.

• bry911
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I was an early adopter of home automation and picked Elan. At the time they offered the most comprehensive system available and the most programmable, which is what I wanted (I traveled a lot at the time and wanted remote access to my home for various reasons).

However, Elan has fallen significantly in popularity mostly because they didn't want to alienate the legacy systems and so they were so focused on compatibility that they failed to innovate. Today fewer than 20% of installers will use Elan. The most popular today, which could mean longevity, is Control4, were I to install a new system I would have a slight preference for Control4.

However, automation is really about the setup and programming so my real advice is to go with the company that you feel is the best rather than the system that you feel is the best. Great installation and support will beat a great system every day of the week for functionality.

As for dependability, my Elan system was running for 10 years without any real problems. Today most automation is in wiring, switches and components. Wiring for automation goes bad at about the same rate as other wires, which is to say very slowly. The switches (e.g. automated light switches) probably have about the same life as old actuated dimmer switches, and components go obsolete at the rate of all technology, if you are an early adopter of technology you will feel the limits of the system fairly fast, if you just want light control and video distribution you will probably be happy for quite a while.

• Laurie Schrader
    6 years ago

In our latest build, I concentrated on:

1. Wiring, for now and the future. Upgraded as far as we could go-CAT6 (alas, residential fiber not yet affordable, 2 years ago) and made sure that we planned for things we wanted as well as what, perhaps, a future buyer might want. We are with Google Fiber, currently, but all fiber networks can work with this wiring.

We'd lived through the "intercom" stage (early 80s) and wanted nothing like that. Control panels swerve all systems, are out of the way and except for an additional alarm system panel (panic room? :) ), none is in the master, nor is any of it visible. The whole house could be run by apps, for those who have the appetite for apps. I don't...

Most importantly, we did the planning before the walls went in.

2. Concentrated on not putting in anything that might become obsolete, fast. At one point, our low voltage guy recommended a built-in iPad, to run the house. Lol- NO!

3. Put 240V in the car area. Electric cars are becoming more and more something people want, and are common in my city. HAH! We decided to test the technology, soon after move-in. Got an EV. Our public utility paid for half the costs of the station/install. We're having a blast with the car, and Federal credits made it stupidly affordable. Now- the Utility told us that if we sell too soon OR go solar, they "might" ask for their money back. Understandable because...

4. Made sure that solar is a reasonable option, without tearing our house apart. Go back to #1- it all matters, works. We're have a great rating for solar (because of design) and can easily do it. Didn't do it with the initial build, because that technology is rapidly changing.

5. Nest Thermostats- we have them. Took a minute for me to understand the programming, but it works great.

6. Made sure that our HVAC system had the best, cleanest and easiest to operate technology available. Without an app, it works with our windows, even, to prevent the "fogging" that happens when it's 100 degrees outside and 72 inside. Also works to control humidity in our really humid climate.

6. Not what you'd think of as "technology", but we have a very natural possibility of a third story rooftop deck. We don't want it (I HATE holes in roofs- problems abound, even in the best of cases), but somebody else might. So while the walls were open, we took the time to have a tiny bit of engineering, a bit of steel reinforcement installed, and presto! That space is ready to go, for anybody who wants to do it.

All of this was done at really affordable prices, since it was planned for, installed in the beginning. All of it wrapped up in a really nice, long-term Builder's Warranty. Not nearly as affordable if you don't do it and then discover you want "more". That, then, becomes a type of a remodel remodel- hell on earth, for me!

The only thing we installed that could become obsolete are ceiling speakers. We love music, and it plays through our home a lot. Can hook to the TV, so a football game (or movie) sounds like a home theater, without all the mess. Eh- the speakers could become out-of-date, but they're there, so a quick switch out and off you go.

• mrspete
    6 years ago

I never thought of this as being part of the smart home world though.

I don't think a generator is "smart" either.

Its the lighting that I was interested in controlling in a "smart"
    fashion. I wanted to be able to flood the exterior with all the
    perimeter lights with one button, then also turn them off with one
    button.

I have one switch in my utility room that turns on ALL the flood lights in one fell swoop (I have other switches by the exterior doors that turn them on individually). I don't think I've ever used the master-switch.

Wealthy folks paid $85,000 in today's dollars (and up depending on the
    size of the custom install, in the late 1930's - still the Depression!)
    to wire their mansions for sound with a Capehart 500, including remote
    speakers and control panels. Stone age technology, but if kept in
    repair, provides the same function and convenience as 80 years ago.

Yeah, the same is true of 1980s intercoms, etc. Thing is, I'm not sure that the same is true of "smart" stuff today. Why? Because many of these things are controlled with a phone or tablet ... and it's quite possible that the controlling items will update to the point that they no longer work with what's built into the house.

It's kind of like why I'm buying my game-obsessed daughter a new X-Box for Christmas. Her old one still works perfectly well (and I know she won't get rid of it), but the company no longer creates new games for what is now "old technology" ... and she wants to continue buying new games.

Concentrated on not putting in anything that might become
    obsolete, fast. At one point, our low voltage guy recommended a built-in
    iPad, to run the house. Lol- NO!

Yeah, that's the equivalent of the 80s intercom.
    Put 240V in the car area. Electric cars are becoming more and more
    something people want, and are common in my city.

Yes, we are planning to run such an outlet in our garage. We don't have an electric car now (though my parents do), but I do think it's a possibility in the future. We figure it'll be cheap to install while the electricians are building ... expensive to add on later.

The only thing we installed that could become obsolete are ceiling speakers.

Yes, when we were first married my husband had half a dozen oversized speakers (I think all young engineers /other tech-y guys were required to own such things); now we have three small speakers hooked to our TV /stereo. I think things like that make us less interested in spending on "smart" items; we've seen today's must-haves become flash-in-the-pans.

Just for the record, my engineer husband shares my thoughts on "smart" home items. He's all about putting money into a solid frame, good windows, top-notch electrical and plumbing, nice finishes ... but he also sees "smart" technology as akin to party tricks.

• Laurie Schrader
    6 years ago

Just for the record, my engineer husband shares my thoughts on "smart" home items. He's all about putting money into a solid frame, good windows, top-notch electrical and plumbing, nice finishes ... but he also sees "smart" technology as akin to party tricks.

This, I love. People forget that, although there isn't "an app, for that", that all the guts/infrastructure have come a long way, baby! And that being diligent, as a homeowner, right along side your builder, as it all goes in is more important than any "whoo-hoo" feature you can add, within the "bling". That's the stuff that allows you to weather the worst that Harvey could throw at you, and shrug. Whatever. We can take MORE- and please, let's not do that!

• bry911
    6 years ago

To each their own... Of all the things I have gotten in the last 10 years my media server is the smartest purchase I have made. If we buy a movie, we pop it in the server and then it is available on any one of 5 televisions or any computer, or up to 5 at once. Not only does it record television programs, it removes the commercials. While that may not seem a big deal, it makes my workouts a lot more enjoyable, now I don't have to hear all about products that I am not interested in if I choose not to. I can pause the television in the living room, then get on my work computer and start the program right where I paused.

This has also resulted in fewer cable company costs, I just get their card and they can keep their expensive equipment.

I used to travel extensively and I could manage many of the things in my home from the airport if need be. In the winter, I kept the house cool and only heated it up when we were on the way home. We had monitoring of fire alarms, CO2 alarms, cameras, etc.

I don't do whole house music, so I am not sure about that.

As for lighting, we sleep with our bedroom door open, yet my kids can't seem to turn off a light...So at midnight our switches become timers, non-bathroom lights are slowly dimmed after 10 minutes. This has saved me from getting out of bed to turn off an annoying light. Also after midnight hall and bathroom lights are dimmed to preserve night vision and save you from bright light problem. They can be easily increased with a slider but start dimmer.

While these aren't needed features they have improved my quality of life noticeably. I have to admit, I was a late adopter of smart phones because I didn't see the benefit of them. Now I can't imagine the inconvenience of finding a phone book.

• cpartist
    6 years ago

I used to travel extensively and I could manage many of the things in my home from the airport if need be. In the winter, I kept the house cool and only heated it up when we were on the way home. We had monitoring of fire alarms, CO2 alarms, cameras, etc.

And for those reasons we are doing a smart home. We travel and summer in NY. I want to know who is coming to my door, etc. If there's a problem, then I can get notice and get the problem fixed, even when not there.

I could care less about watching the same movie in different rooms because if I'm watching a movie, it's with DH.

However I have a switch by the bed going in so I can turn off all the lights I forgot to turn off without having to walk through the house or up the stairs. Same with the flood lights.

• freeoscar
    6 years ago

For the most part, what we call home automation is about saving you from button presses. Whether that's a lighting scene that saves you from walking around and turning/dimming lights on and off, or a TV remote that automatically sets up the AV system without having to navigate various systems, or not having to get up and adjust the t-state b/c it is already programmed, an alarm that makes sure your doors are locked, etc. Whether and how much value that has is completely dependent the individual. There is no right answer.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!