SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
serubins

Small bathroom/laundry combination questions

serubins
2 years ago

Hello, all - I am planning a kitchen and bathroom renovation. The bathroom/laundry area is small and challenging. I think we can squeeze an LG laundry tower (27x30") into the space where the dryer is now and have a shower if we create an "L" that will accommodate the new walk-in. To do that, we would be borrowing from a hallway that separates the kitchen from the current 1/2 bath/laundry. (A contractor suggested to me putting the laundry tower in the hall space, but there would be no room for a shower without building out if we were to do that.)

My main goal is to have a 3/4 bath. I would like to avoid putting the laundry in the basement, losing a window in the kitchen, and expanding the house footprint. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

The drawing is of existing conditions, and to do the bathroom change I've just mentioned, it would require moving the entrance from the kitchen to the study down a bit, in line with the entrance from the vestibule. That would allow a back wall for the new shower, and we'd build a side wall. Maybe a pocket door would work for the bathroom. (We plan to flip the alcove in the dining room and give it to the kitchen, too, and get rid of the pantry now in the space where the new opening would be.) I have more thoughts and questions, but will leave it here for now! Thank you.

Comments (51)

• serubins
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Hello, everdebz - I am not sure I understand about a new door. Thanks.

• everdebz
    2 years ago

It's moot, because it would require adding onto the house. If walking in front door, a bathroom might be added on to left, that was all.

• Related Discussions

Would you ever combine two bathrooms?

Q

Comments (7)
    Oddity, at first I was a bit confused with your plan, and now I'm seeing that it is another way to create a convenient space. We have two homes which are primary residences. MINE is in Alabama, and HIS is in Massachusetts. He won't give up his MA citizenship, I won't give up my AL gal status. But that is not a problem. Well, down here, I just created from 3 closets a 3/4 bath. It does not connect to the old bathroom, which had its tub ripped out, and is now waiting for a bumpout about the size of a bay window, in which we will install a clawfoot slipper tub with British phone faucets. Beadboard, etc. And then there is the house in MA. We created a master bedroom with a walkin closet, and the 3/4 bath will be en suite as well. There is a tiny hallway which is the pivotal space from the living room to access the original full bath (tub w/shower) just opposite the basement door. There is a door from the living room to this tiny hall, allowing someone to turn LEFT and go into the bathroom, or turn RIGHT and go into the basement. So we can have access to this bathroom from our bedroom and new bath, without going through the living room and coming around that way, I'm thinking about creating another doorway from that hall (a door on every side then). If we had guests for the upstairs bedrooms, there is a bath up there. If we had visitors NOT spending the night, they could come through the livingroom door and access the "guest" bath, with tub NOT removed. And, we could close the door to our bedroom from the hall and maintain our privacy. We could also, if there are guests upstairs, LOCK the door from the living room, and keep both the "guest" bath and the ensuite bath as our own. Having two toilets with easy access is a big plus, as well as having a large separate shower, and a tub with shower for our daily use. I do not see a problem with blocking off the basement door access to any guests, unless they would like to do their laundry. But only during the daytime when we'd not be wanting to keep our area private as much. So yes, if you can maintain your privacy and not have someone traipsing into your private bath, it could work. Nobody would have access to our ensuite 3/4 bath. If I were you, I'd find a way to keep a shower to create a 3/4 bath somewhere. It would be totally worth it.
    ...See More

Small bathroom, small budget, big irritation, big plea for help

Q

Comments (55)
    I think we're going to have to have an electrician come in and rewire the house or something. The bathroom, the two fan lights in the kitchen, and the lights in the main room in the basement go out all the time. Doesn't matter what kind of bulbs we put in there, they burn out. Yet the light over the sink is on pretty much 24/7 and it's been replaced like once in 16 years. For the last long while, we quit buying the "good" bulbs b/c if we get three months out of them, that's a good length of time for us, but the cost is outlandish to replace that often for bulbs that rarely are used. The cabinet door goes to shelving in the hall. If we didn't have the shelving, we'd lose quite a bit of storage, so we can't take the shelves out to put a hamper in there.
    ...See More

Laundry room bathroom combo?

Q

Comments (16)
    When I was younger I owned a townhouse with a stackable set in the master bathroom, the small kind of stackable ones. It was fine. Maybe I was young and happy to not go to the laundrymat. For my current remodel I had considered it but decided against it. But that's just me. As a potential buyer, I would not want to look at a W/D in the bath. Can you put them in some sort of cabinet? I've seen pics where people put them side by side and have foldable doors to cover the front of the W/D, so it looks like a cabinet. Looking out the window when you fold laundry sounds great. Will you have some sort of expandable rack to hang clothes as you put them on hangers? I'm not clear on where the bathroom parts will go if the W/D are under the window, but I'm sure you'll figure it out. Maybe you can consult with a designer or someone skilled to help with the layout, maybe someone at a kitchen and bath design store or ? Maybe a 1 hour consultation would reap some good ideas. (?)
    ...See More

Bathroom/ laundry room/ kitchennett critique

Q

Comments (4)
    I think both walls are loadbearing, but i think we should be able to frame in smaller
    ...See More
  • serubins39
    2 years ago

Thank you - probably not possible off front door, because of clearance to house next door, and I would need a substantial space for the shower, too. However, I am wondering if maybe I can use a new shower in the current powder room where the w/d is now, and put the laundry tower in what has been the hall.

• everdebz
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I meant bathroom to be 'flush with' kitchen wall, where sink and plumbing are... however wide that would be... shower at the end of the room.

• serubins39
    2 years ago

Thank you - that is definitely one of the possibilities. Another is to have a smaller shower more or less where the current w/d is, create a pocket door for the bathroom, and use part of the hall for the stackable.

• Tracey Woods
    2 years ago

I don’t see the entire floor plan in the image you shared.

• serubins
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks for writing - In am attaching a recent drawing that includes the whole first floor and a variation on the option I discussed, and I'm attaching now a rough sketch that I just did which has an alternative - a neo shower that would allow for a larger vanity and more room around the w/d tower, separated in a separate alcove, while not requiring relocating the window or radically moving the toilet - just rotating it. It seems as if it would give enough clearance all around. Excuse my sloppy sketching! On the left, the washer dryer would be enclosed in a closet that would be around 42" x 42", more or less. Note that there is a window that is on the far end of the kitchen, and is shaped like a small box on the drawing. That could be made flush. Thanks for any input!

• Tracey Woods
    2 years ago

I think you are on the right track. What is the study used for today? It seems like some of the space to the left of the exterior door could be given back to the bathroom? I don’t like how you can see the toilet from the kitchen island…

• Tracey Woods
    2 years ago

Can you move the door to the bath to open into the study?

• serubins39
    2 years ago

Thank you, Tracey! Regarding the view of the toilet, maybe we could swing the bathroom door into the corridor, and have a pony wall in front of a shorter toilet, either making the toilet wall hung, which would be a lot shorter, or about five inches less by choosing one that projects about 26 inches, rather than 31.

I have also considered a bigger change - switching the shower and w/d location and putting the sink in the corner on the left side when walking in, with the shower next to it. Please see the sketch.

The idea of taking some inches from the study is a little complicated by the slope of that room’s wall, which is very high near the dining room - about 14 feet - and slopes down to standard height by the sliders. The bathroom and corridor are also standard height.

Finally, your suggestion about moving the door would make sense. The way we use the room, though, means we like having that study wall free, but we do hear you about the view! Thank you.

• mimimomy
    2 years ago

Will you close the kitchen off from the laundry/bath area and add a door through dining room to the study? Or are you trying to maintain access to kitchen from laundry/bath area? I'm not understanding your original hand drawing vs. the layout originally posted. Because where I think you're showing you want W/D there isn't enough space for them without obstructing the kitchen doorway...

• serubins39
    2 years ago

Thank you for your question, and yes, either idea necessitates moving the entryway to the kitchen further down the wall toward the study. There is then space to create either a laundry closet to the left when passing through to the back, or an alcove for a shower with the laundry tower in the far corner of what would be the combined bath/laundry. Right now the sticking points for each option would be the view, and actual possibility given the right dimensions. The laundry tower is about 27x30” but it needs at least an inch clearance all around.

• serubins39
    2 years ago

I realize I didn’t answer one of your questions - we are not planning to open the dining room wall. The most dramatic and potentially expensive change we have thought about is squaring off the envelope of the house so that the wall where the w/d is now (and would be in any plan) would go back about 3 feet and be around 8 feet long, but doing that means losing a window and nice view from the kitchen to the backyard.

• mimimomy
    2 years ago

Thanks. Could you put a stackable washer/dryer in the kitchen to the left of the frig? Not all of the stackables are huge. Also, some are undercounter. I personally like the euro-style of having W/D in kitchen. Seems like then you could reconfigure existing laundry/powder room into a 3/4 bath a bit easier. Just some thoughts :)

• serubins39
    2 years ago

Thanks, Mimiomy - I am not sure that space, now designated for a pantry, is deep enough, though it would be wide enough. It is true that this is a bit of a challenge, and I appreciate the help!

• Lyndee Lee
    2 years ago

Have you checked the pumbing underneath the bathroom to see where the toilet plumbing can be moved without excessive costs? Depending on the floor joists layout, moving the toilet might be easy or you might find a joist between or directly under your proposed location.  Moving the toilet might be a major effort so check it out before getting your heart set on a specific plan.

• serubins
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks very much, Lyndee Lee. The toilet can be swiveled without undue expense or difficulty. It is currently in the same space, but parallel to the door. I am posting another plan, below, with the space expanded, and the toilet and sink where they are now. I see a possible tweak on that one that could enlarge the shower, or make it one L shape with no wall between shower and laundry area, just having the laundry in the corner. If I could make do without the expansion, however, that would probably be better budget-wise. (In the newest version of the kitchen space, the range is on the wall that backs up to the laundry area, and the sink is where you see the corner of the range indicated - what we would lose with this plan is the view of our backyard, and the light.)

Thanks!

• Lyndee Lee
    2 years ago

I would hate that laundry area because there isn't any space for baskets, folding,  hanging shirts straight from the dryer etc. Where would you put items that didn't fit in the current load or you notice need stain treatment before the washer? It just seems like a waste of space to have the little cubbyhole laundry room.

• mimimomy
    2 years ago

Do you have a closet or area upstairs where you could move the laundry to? Many people prefer the laundry on the second floor. Just trying to come up with ideas...

• suzanne_m
    2 years ago

I have been painting all day and resting now ... but too lazy to read this pots ... Sorry. This might have been suggested already. If not and if it is a possibility, can you tell e how big would the white square be? Note that I suggest a pocket door to access the study from the dining room:

• serubins39
    2 years ago

Thank you - the study has built in bookshelves along that wall, and the dining room has a built in as well as a radiator, so unfortunately that would be problematic. I appreciate the suggestion!

• suzanne_m
    2 years ago

Do you think this can work?

• serubins39
    2 years ago

I like that, and it would work. It is a good use of space, and the toilet is out of view. It would be more expensive than not expanding and because the toilet and other fixtures would move, there would be even more expense, but I think this is nice. The only thing we lose with it is the window to the back. Thank you!

• suzanne_m
    2 years ago

You need 22" clearance in front of the toilet. I think you have it but I would recommend a round seat toilet as it would give you more space when you get out of the shower. I allowed for a 5'0" deep bathroom but if you can make it bigger, it would be better. As for the window, maybe just a low cabinet would allow you to keep the window?

• serubins39
    2 years ago

The window I mean is the one from the kitchen to the back, which would be obscured by the bathroom. If you have a chance, could you please look at my rough ballpoint sketch that does not require expanding out to see whether you think it’s possible? The worst aspect may be seeing the toilet when the door is opened, and it is quite small, but the laundry area would have some breathing room. Your measurements are probably more accurate than what I scribbled in, though. It would mean a smaller shower and vanity, too, but it is a guest/secondary space. Thank you!

• suzanne_m
    2 years ago

I see what you mean by the window in the kitchen. I am a little confused with the layout. The place where I drew the two dotted red lines, is it a counter top? How do you access the area where I drew the green circle?

• serubins39
    2 years ago

Thanks, Suzanne - that is a strange box-like window projection from the kitchen, but it can be flush with the area of the range, so it presents no problem. With the rest of your solution, I have two questions: could/should a pony wall be placed right in front of the toilet to screen it? And second, any feedback about why this might be preferable to what is in the blue sketch, which has the laundry tower behind doors where the shower in your drawing is now, and the sink opposite from its current placement, with a shower about 32x42 in the corner with the length on the far wall? Thank you!

• serubins39
    2 years ago

In either case, maybe the door to the bathroom should swing out

• Lyndee Lee
    2 years ago

Your blue sketch is good use of space without expanding the footprint. I would not attempt to have any sort of pony wall as there just isn't enough room. Instead, I would consider switching the door to swing into the bathroom with the hinges on the toilet side. The door woud partially obscure the toilet when opening and would be convenient to push open to wash dirty hands at the sink when coming in from the outside. 
    Self closing hinges and a public toilet type vacant/occupied indicator or a light switch that is activated by a sliding latch would encourage users to lock the door. With a normally closed door as a privacy screen,  seeing the toilet from the kitchen wouldn't be an issue

• serubins39
    2 years ago

Lynda Lee, thank you and I take your point about the door acting as a visual barrier in and of itself - and maybe I could consider a plant or some hanging greenery in front of - but at least 21” away - from where knees would go! Interesting idea about an automatic light. I am reassured that this seems to work. It may be possible to make it feel slightly roomier - but with a smaller sink - if we installed a 36” neo shower in the corner, rather than the longer shower - not sure which I would prefer. The vanity gets to be a bit bigger with the rectangle. I am very reassured to hear the sketch seems viable! Expanding I. An old house and moving fixtures around can be tricky, I’ve heard, ans this place is 121 years old.

• suzanne_m
    2 years ago

In any of the plans you are going to choose, I would not put a pony wall even if the toilet is in full view. You don't have that much space to walk around in the bathroom and it would make it only worst if you add a pony wall.

When I drew my layout, I did not fully understand the layout when you were talking about a window in the kitchen window, extension etc.) and I just thought I would give a shower that is elongated (a personal preference) but I think square is fine too.

Also in your blue layout and mine too, I find that if the W/D has not its own room then I would not make it more than 36" x 42" otherwise it is a waste of space BUT in any case, you have to make sure that the W/D can be pulled in a space big enough to get service if needed AND that you can open the W/D door completely (no door frame in the way). I agree with Lyndee Lee that your blue sketch is good use of space but I will take a look at it a little more just to see if I can come up with something different.

• serubins39
    2 years ago

Thank you! I am so appreciative of these comments and the help.

• Lyndee Lee
    2 years ago

An old house has to be a labor of love otherwise you will hate it! My current house was built in 1933 so I am well aware of the challenges of old houses. Newer houses in my price range just don't have the character and charm I like.  I have never owned a house that wasn't older than I am and I have worked on several. The quirkiness is part of my love for older homes. 
    One good aspect of an old house remodel...I can take credit for everything good and blame original builder and previous owners for every compromise I have to make to get the work done.

• Lyndee Lee
    2 years ago

My previous house had light switches in the door jamb in all the closets,  like a refrigerator light.  Those were awesome as I never fumbled for the switch and never had to worry about anyone leaving a closet door open or a light left on. Now motion sensor lights do the same but the mechanical approach was such a neat solution

• serubins39
    2 years ago

Lynxes Lee, I love your perspective!

• serubins39
    2 years ago

Lynda Lee - I do my k ow if that was autocorrect, but oops!

• serubins39
    2 years ago

And it’s Lyndee, not Linda! So sorry…

• Lyndee Lee
    2 years ago

No worries. I respond to most anything over four letters…except Grandma. Nope! Good thing my kids aren't ready either.

You mentioned radiators in one comment.  What is your plan for heating the bathroom? That side wall in front of the toilet would make a great spot for a towel warmer style of radiator if you have hot water not steam heat.

• serubins
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I love that idea! As of now, the space is poorly insulated, which might be corrected by the remodeling, but a towel warmer sounds swell. Thank you!

• serubins
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Suzanne and Lynda Lee - I think I have another plan that might work, and will take into account something I had not considered. The area where I put the new laundry tower behind a closet door is wide enough for some shelves, but how about if we instead limited the width to about 30" (the tower itself is 27") and the depth to 34", enough for the tower and a little breathing room, and gave the rest of that space to a pony wall for the shower and tower supply lines, with the shower starting in the alcove, and continuing into the rest of the space? The shape of the bathroom would change into an "L." That would decrease the risk of freeing pipes, and we would have a nook for shower controls and a little alcove for things like shampoo, while extending the shower so that it is about 32-34" wide, and 40" long - with more space at the end for either shelves, or just space. (That little space might be enough for the toilet, which could be screened, but it would then mean the toilet waste line being moved. It could take the sink - but then its supply lines would be exposed to the exterior walls.)

Anyway, with this scenario, we would have a smaller laundry cavity, but as one of you mentioned, it's perhaps no great shakes now, and wasted space.

Thank you for any advice if you see this - and I think I will start another question in case this one is now dormant.

• Lyndee Lee
    2 years ago

I am having a little trouble getting the dimensions straight. Would you draw this plan out and show the measurements? The idea sounds practical but just not sure about the clearances 

Sink supply lines can be brought through the floor instead of inside the wall to avoid the exterior wall risk. Or, ask around about possibly using PEX which is not supposed to suffer the same type of damage as copper. I don't know much about it as it isn't permissible in my location. 

What is the depth required for your W/D? Don't be too close with dimensions as laundry equipment has been getting taller and deeper in recent years. I am dreading the day when my compact units die and I have to buy big new ones. I have the space but the room will seem crowded with monster sized units.

• serubins
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you for the response! I may have yet more possibilities this week, but in the meantime, here is the not-quite-to-scale sketch, on its side. The shaded area on one side of the shower is meant to be for the supply lines and perhaps a niche. I did not redraw what is on the original existing conditions plan, but you can see that the entry to the bathroom space is more or less opposite to the bathroom's entry, which moves down slightly. The necessary clearance for the machine is minimal, and I have allowed more, considering also that some machines would be bigger. (This one is 27x30".) There would be about 8" to the side that could perhaps contain laundry supplies. Thanks for taking a look!

• serubins39
    2 years ago

A second view - the first was a bit cut off

• scottie mom
    2 years ago

Measure every inch. in fact, measure every 1/8” when fitting laundry into a space like that. Speaking from experience here. And do think about the space you need for laundry-related items. Are you planning a vented dryer? Your plan is evolving well! You may want to see the specific machines in person before building. I’m not sure you are accounting enough for wall thickness.

• serubins39
    2 years ago

Thank you, Scottie mom! I will definitely do as you say, and before finalizing the plan will have to be drawn up with exactness for a permit. I have had many variations in my mind, and each has its pros and cons, but after having a laundry pipe freeze I am quite concerned that it shouldn’t happen again.

• Lyndee Lee
    2 years ago

One of the issues with this plan is the shower door. You might be able to swing a shower door hinged on the side closest to the door but the current version doesn't leave any space for standing while opening the door. If you put the valves toward the exterior end you could open the door to turn on the shower before entering. This space will be tight and I suggest using a curtain which you could leave open to make the space feel larger. I have a combined 3/4 bath and laundry room and find the shower handy to hang wet coats, spot for mop bucket and wet boots and handy spot to drip dry hand washed clothes or fabric.

• serubins
    Original Author
    2 years ago

That is a good catch with the shower door! Thanks, Lyndee Lee. I have thought that maybe the space at the end opposite the toilet could also have some hooks or a drying rack and maybe even room for a bucket under a surface, unobtrusive when guests use the space, but helpful for us. (Our cat might want an upgraded bathroom of her own, of course - her spot is upstairs.)

• Lyndee Lee
    2 years ago

This is my laundry room shower which is 33.5 x 37.5 inside dimensions at the floor, 42.5 to outside of curb. This is only slightly larger than your proposed shower and it is large enough for semi permanent home of the donation box and the mop bucket. I can't comment on its size for showering as we have never used it for that purpose. We have a tub/shower in the main bath and a separate shower in the master suite so doubtful this will ever be used for showering except for perhaps the dog. The shower was already there so we just rebuilt it when we were doing everything else.  One of my favorite features of the room is adequate lighting with three surface mount LEDs and a three light fixture over the vanity. Good lighting and light colors keep the space from looking gloomy or cramped

• serubins39
    2 years ago

Thank you! That is helpful. We could add a skylight to ours, perhaps, or enlarge a window, and I am glad you mention the ability to use it for something like a bucket - or drying rack..,