SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
some_homebody

Kitchen design - check my work? (photos and mock-ups included!)

some_homebody
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

I have been reading these helpful forums while spending quality time with new best friend, the IKEA Planner, and have finally arrived (I think!) at the layout for our kitchen. We are leaving the footprint of the current kitchen, most of which is original circa 1954, in place.

Kitchen now:

Proposed layout:

You'll see in the current kitchen the bump-up on where the electrical is (pic with spindles holding the uppers) - this is not a half wall. The cabinets were built in place and the bump-up is a dummy wall to hold electrical. I know people wire and plumb islands; does this mean we can we put the new cabinets in place and have them wired/plumbed like an island, even though it goes wall-to-wall? We are on a raised foundation, if that makes a difference. We also are hoping to move the sink/dw a bit closer to the door so I have a larger, uninterrupted counter area for prep/serving. I assume this isn't a huge deal but please let me know if I'm wrong!

Also, the reason the cabinets are only partly double-facing is because the other side of the kitchen is a giant rock fireplace with a huge seating hearth. You can see a bit of the rock on the kitchen side.

I appreciate your design feedback as well as any kitchen remodel advice/horror stories/tales of triumph you'd like to share!

Comments (5)