SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kathleen_smith6227819

Getting frustrated with the local library

Kathsgrdn
2 years ago

Most of the books I've tried to reserve aren't available, are out or are only available on audio. I have three on reserve now since I'm about to finish the last of the three books I have now from the library. The earliest the new ones may be available is a week away. A few of the books I really want to read aren't even available.

I'm trying to lessen the amount of books I buy. I may just take my list when I got to Half Price Books to sell the ones I have in my trunk, and see if they have any of them. But not planning on going to Lexington for a couple weeks. Covid cases are super high there right now.

Or I could try the audio books. I used to get them and listen to them on my drive in to work. I now usually only read at night before I go to sleep. I was up till almost 7 am this morning reading. Bad decision, but it was getting really good.

Comments (33)

• Kathsgrdn
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I just put an audio book on reserve and the wait time is even longer than the books.

• Zalco/bring back Sophie!
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I hope you find a solution. Many people like audio books.

I cannot relate to this post, though. I love being surrounded by books I have read and books I may yet read. I like revisiting books, sometimes snippets, sometimes a whole reread. I like pressing my favorite books into the hands of my children, or good friends slipping a note into them about why I chose the book. Plus I like writing in my books.

Kathsgrdn thanked Zalco/bring back Sophie!
  • Related Discussions

Garden DVDs at Your Local Library

Q

Comments (1)
    I work at my local library, and it really is amazing what one can get there. So many people are not aware of what a library offers nowadays, still thinking only of books. My library itself doesn't have a large selection of gardening DVDs (although we do have some Chihuly DVDs!) but we have a large selection of books and magazines, and also, as Mindy says, we can request items from other libraries. However, we can only request from libraries in-state. We can't get items from out-of-state libraries. But everyone should definitely look into her/his local library. Lots of good stuff! :) Dee
    ...See More

sigh getting so frustrated trying to get hardwood for the bedroom

Q

Comments (3)
    If the installer isn't comfortable with doing what you want, they're not likely to change their mind. Find another contractor and tell them you won't hold them responsible for adhesion failure. I've been told to be wary of Gypcrete but an old client of mine bought a house with engineered plank glued directly to Gypcrete. When he wanted to add wood in the bedrooms, I duplicated what was there with no problem. I did inform him that it wasn't recommended and that I couldn't assume the risk if it failed. Engineered flooring shouldn't move enough to pull the Gypcrete apart but it would be a good idea to do a bond test. That said, I see no reason why floating cork wouldn't work. It would be better to use the squares than the rolls. I also see no reason why you couldn't glue down the cork and float the wood except that it may not provide the same relief from stress at the joints as a foam underlayment, if the subfloor is a little uneven. It might not be a bad idea to roll on a coat of something like contact cement or flat trowel a layer of adhesive as a primer. I'm pretty risk averse but I'd have little reservation about doing this.
    ...See More

Plan on shopping locally, but I'm getting frustrated..

Q

Comments (7)
    I figure that as long as most of the items I purchase are made somewhere in the USA by some type of US based store, whether it's online or not, that's good enough. I consider "local" to be my tiny town, but there are NO appliance stores within its boundaries. I don't care about supporting the suburb fifteen miles away any more than I care about supporting the economy in California, which is where I purchased my appliances (I live in Michigan). Put another way, I don't see the difference about helping people who live a little bit closer to me than those who live farther away. However, if I could buy a particular item in my hometown for a good price, I would. What I do care about is trying to buy American in America. That's local enough for me, I guess.
    ...See More

I'm a frustrated idiot! Getting my Amazon music onto ipod ?

Q

Comments (28)
    A bit late to this, but did you try calling the iPod tech support number yet? I did that when I got my new iPod (shuffle) & the young man was very nice & helpful; did a shared desktop screen while on the phone as well, where he showed me w/ pointers what to do & what to click. (side note: I believe new devices from Mac are just not as intuitive as they once were. I never had to get help w/ my old iPod) Do you know how to make a screenshot? Showing what your screen looks can be helpful for stuff like this. You should be able to do a search of your computer for the iTunes folder, shouldn't you? When I've purchased Amazon MP3s, I simply dragged them into the iTunes icon on the desktop(dock) & then drag those files into the iPod - which shows up in the sidebar of the iTunes screen. I'm on iMac, tho - no experience how the Windows version of this works... FWIW, HTH
    ...See More
  • Elmer J Fudd
    2 years ago

Have you used Kindle editions from Library online Overdrive accounts? Are you able to also borrow online from libraries in other towns?

Kathsgrdn thanked Elmer J Fudd
  • sephia_wa
    2 years ago

Libraries are more popular than ever with more and more people reading more to occupy themselves. It's been like that in my area for the past 2 years. Books take longer to check out because they're so much in demand. I've just found alternate sources of books to borrow.

Kathsgrdn thanked sephia_wa
    2 years ago

Also, I have a trrible memory for stories, so there is that reason I accumulate books ;-)

• Kathsgrdn
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Elmer, I don't have a Kindle. I thought our library had the option to borrow from other libraries, but I didn't notice one on-line. I may have to call or go in to speak to someone in person to do that.

I have too many books right now. I gave some away to a friend at Christmas time and let my daughter find some from my stash for her friends. There are still too many. I need to go through the ones on my shrunk too and box up for Half Price books.

• Olychick
    2 years ago

Every time I hear of a book I want to read, I put in a reserve for it at the library. Sometimes I'm 152 in line (but they usually have quite a few copies of books which are that popular, so the line moves quickly), sometimes I'm 2nd in line. I then go in and suspend the hold. I can suspend for up to a year. I still move up the line, I just won't be notified when I'm #1, unless I cancel the suspension. I still keep my #1 position when I get there, but they bypass me and go to the next person in line.

When I am getting low on reading material, I look at my list and see which books I am #1 in line for and I will cancel the suspension. That means I will be next to receive the book - either from the shelves if there is one available, or when a copy is returned. For really popular books that have many copies, the wait is seldom more than a couple of days. If I plan ahead a little bit, I am never out of books.

It's also a really easy way to keep track of the books I want to read. They also have a way to create lists of books I want to read, but don't want to reserve right now. I put books there that I may want to select for my book club or I may want to purchase from the book store as gifts for people.

Kathsgrdn thanked Olychick
  • Elmer J Fudd
    2 years ago

As sephia said, I agree that the "library business" IS booming. The online business too but not just that and not just in the last two years.

I've noticed over the last 5-10 years in travels around my state that new as well as extensively remodeled or rebuilt libraries seem to be everywhere. I don't know if what I've seen regionally is a function of enhanced state funding, the passage of bond measures (which I always vote Yes for but don't pay much attention to afterwards), or the boom years of sustained GDP growth we've had over the past 10+ years filling state and local governmental coffers. Or some combination. A lot of money has visibly gone into libraries facilities and services, and that's a good thing.

• bpath
    2 years ago

Our library is part of a system. If my library doesn’t have something, usually one of the other libraries does. I can go to those, or have the book sent over to my library for pick-up. And there’s another nearby library that’s part of a different system, but I can use my card there, too!

I like audiobooks, but only in the car or when doing something where I’ll be in one place for a long time, without having to ”think” about something else, like painting a room. (Not while sorting/organizing, that takes ”thinking”)

Kathsgrdn thanked bpath
  • clt3
    2 years ago

We have the best library system in the country. i continually look to see upcoming books from various sites and i am able to request them before they’re actually released. i may not be number one, but it doesn’t usually take that long. I think I have about 30 on reserve.

Kathsgrdn thanked clt3
  • Rose Pekelnicky
    2 years ago

I don't go out many places with the covid and the winter weather where I live. I read a lot of Kindle books (from the library) on my Samsung tablet with a Kindle app . My eyes have been bothering me lately though so I've been re-reading some of the actual books I own. I have a lot of books. I've got a row of bookshelves 4 ft high and about 10 ft long in one room of my house.

Kathsgrdn thanked Rose Pekelnicky
  • colleenoz
    2 years ago

How many books is ”too many”? We own hundreds and are constantly buying more. We also have a Kindle each but prefer real books. We keep them because we do reread them.

Kathsgrdn thanked colleenoz
  • Toronto Veterinarian
    2 years ago

It's tough to be frustrated with a "store" for being too busy, but I guess that's a Covid thing, like being frustrated that building supplies have gotten so much more expensive. I'm a huge audiobook consumer (about 50 a year) - some I buy, and some I get from the library. I started listening when I was travelling for work and had long (4-8 hour) drives; I liked them so much, I started listening to them in the house too (while doing laundry, or cooking, etc), and also while I go to sleep. If it's not available on audio (or if the performer is really bad), I'll buy or borrow the paper book, because I can't stand e-readers. I don't even like reading the "newspapers" on my computer, although I understand all the benefits. I gave up most of my paper books in my house 2 moves ago.

Kathsgrdn thanked Toronto Veterinarian
  • roxanna
    2 years ago

Our library (small town) is part of a statewide consortium where any book in the system can be borrowed. It is terrific! I actually prefer browsing in person, which was verboten for most of the past two years (understandable, but GRRRRR!). It finally opened a few months ago for pick-up only, which was wonderful -- as long as you knew which book you wanted. My librarians know me well enough that they would also choose books they thought I might enjoy (I usually did). So happy to have the system available again, even tho entering the main building was still forbidden...

Then the Covid numbers here spiked, recently, and the library is now once again off limits. le sigh. Fortunately, my TBR pile is still well-stocked for the winter, and I have begun dipping into it. Yay!

However, I am with those folk who own books and reread them. Being a bibliophile, I own so many books as hard copies that I fully intend to have a mausoleum built using them for the walls. I would be very happy there. Only query is -- book spines facing inward, or outward? Hmmmmm.... [WHY do decorators DO that?????!]

Kathsgrdn thanked roxanna
  • blfenton
    2 years ago

Has anyone read The Library Book by Susan Orlean. It is about the Los Angeles library fire in 1986 but the author also delves into the history of libraries right from historic times. She traces the development of them and the destruction of them. And then using the Los Angeles library fire talks about the historical value that libraries have for research.

Elmers comment reminded me of the book as she also talks about libraries having to become more than just a book lending institution and having to reinvent themselves into a community resource with book clubs, speakers, offering space to people with similar interests such has local history or local politics. With the advent of e-books, kindle, etc they have had to find ways to remain relevant.

Kathsgrdn thanked blfenton
    2 years ago

My town's libraries have 3-d printers for children who do not have them at home. Yes Yes, a very SV concern ;-)

Kathsgrdn thanked Zalco/bring back Sophie!
  • Rho Dodendron
    2 years ago

"Our library (small town) is part of a statewide consortium where any book in the system can be borrowed. It is terrific!"

That's what I was planning on advising.

Waiting for a book on 'hold' is like waiting in line at a store.

I've never heard of a book not being available somehow someway. Be patient and ask lots of questions next time you are at your library. I once put a hold on a certain book club book in every form it was available. Started with audio and finished with large print.

Kathsgrdn thanked Rho Dodendron
  • Elmer J Fudd
    2 years ago

"Elmers comment reminded me of the book"

I'll return the credit - your comment reminds me of the downtown library building itself. As a kid, mostly during Jr High years (early to mid-60s), I'd sometimes take a bus ride to downtown LA to use the resources of the central library. I was a dumb kid then who hadn't seen much but even so, I liked my visits there, it was an impressive place. Before leaving, I would walk around to see the different rooms and around the building on the outside too to see the different perspectives. Downtown LA at the time wasn't much to write home about but the library was one of maybe a handful of notable structures that were there and had been for a while.

• Kathsgrdn
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Colleen, not hundreds, maybe one hundred but my house is small. My son has a huge bin of books in his old room. My daughter and I tried to take as much of his stuff to him as we could get in my car before he left for England so it would all get shipped with him. I don't want more stuff packed in boxes or bins in my house. I've always wanted a library in my house, but I've changed my mind as I've gotten older. I don't want my kids to have to clean out too much stuff when I'm gone.

Rho Dodendron, not every library has every book. Ours is pretty small.

• lily316
    2 years ago

We have been going to our local library every Wednesday for 50 years. As a child, I went to the library every week and when I got married as soon as we bought a house I would find the local library. My husband and I read voraciously. I have six books out now and we'll be going tomorrow night. I am 45th in line for the new Jodi Picoult book but I don't care because I have a gazillion other ones to read and I get them right off the shelf.

Kathsgrdn thanked lily316
  • faftris
    2 years ago

I think many libraries have experienced major budget cuts in the last few years and have had to adjust their buying accordingly. I appreciate the free books I get from the library, because I would be bankrupt or illiterate otherwise. It's been a lifeline in the last two years. My library even delivers the books to people who cannot come in person, because of medical or mobility issues. I send money to them each year, so that they can keep such programs going. I love seeing the toddlers there at storytime. It takes me back to Miss Martin at the Jerome Park branch in the Bronx!

Kathsgrdn thanked faftris
  • eld6161
    2 years ago

I reserve books, but don’t count on them for immediate use. I didn’t think I would like my Kindle as much as I do. There is a way to use Libby as well, which I haven’t done as I am fine with reserving books and finding books that are readily available.

I stopped buying books years ago. I never intentially read a book twice and we dont have space to collect them.

Rho makes a good point of reserving large print if you absolutely need a book. Personally I don’t enjoy large print but if I need it for book club I make an exception.

Kathsgrdn thanked eld6161
  • Rose Pekelnicky
    2 years ago

My library has book club kits, a bag with 10 copies of a book and a sheet with discussion points. I belong the book club at a senior center and that is what is used.

The main branch also has 3d printers and sewing machines for patrons to use.

Kathsgrdn thanked Rose Pekelnicky
  • Kathsgrdn
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Our library has a book sale on some Saturday during the month or used to. I always forget about it until I drive in the parking lot and see the signs out back at the little building.

• woodrose
    2 years ago

Kathsgrdn You can download the Kindle app for your phone. There's a Kindle app for every device : phones, PC's/laptops, and tablets. I recommend downloading the Libby app by Overdrive to borrow books. I find it easier to use than Overdrive. You can borrow books to read on your phone from your local library, and other libraries if you have a library card. I'm sure the Lexington Library has many more e-books available than our smaller local libraries. You can apply for a card for the Lexington Library online, but unfortunately you have to go to a library in Lexington to get the card.

There's nothing like holding an actual book in your hands, but I do enjoy reading on my Kindle and my phone as well. It's nice to have the book you're reading on your phone when you find yourself having a long wait somewhere, like a doctors office, etc.

Kathsgrdn thanked woodrose
  • Elmer J Fudd
    2 years ago

Busy career years and family obligations left me little to no time for reading books, which was why I turned to audiobooks. I got hooked. A pioneer in the area was a SoCal company named Books on Tape, the founder of which was a guy my father knew. In the early years, BOT's audiobooks were provided on cassette tapes, were subject to a rental agreement that required their return and arrived all together by mail in a sturdy box for which a postage paid return label was inside. One book required 8-15 cassettes, depending on its length of course. The only added requirement for me was to always have a car with a tape player. Book rentals were expensive at the time when i started (1980s) at $10-$25 per book. I limited my activity to one every other month or so.

My reading of physical books was limited to plane flights (of which I had lots) and beachy vacations. I mostly got out of the habit because of the inconvenience - size and weight- of lugging several books around. I'd guess fewer than 50 of the hundreds and hundreds of books I've read during my adult years have been in physical book form. It's especially true now, I can carry 10 or more audiobooks on an MP3 player no larger than a thick credit card, which is very convenient for travelling. Kindles offer comparatively easy portability too, though with at a larger size.

I understand for many there's an enjoyable tactile sensation from holding and reading hardcover books, that's something I don't experience.

Fortunately, there are many alternative formats to choose from, to find what one likes best.

• lily316
    2 years ago

I am totally the opposite. I love the feel of holding a book and have never read electronically. As I recall we have never bought a fiction book . My husband even worked for The Book of the Month (is that even a thing now?) when he retired from state government. Even then we never bought fiction even though the days he worked he was allowed to purchase three books for a very nominal fee. BUT we have a ton of decorating, gardening and craft books filling up an upstairs library room. Some are huge coffee table books then selling for $50 for which he paid $1.

Kathsgrdn thanked lily316
  • raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    2 years ago

I'm one who still prefers a physical book, but I have an ereader (Kindle) and have used it to get books more quickly sometimes, or books not available in my system. I use Overdrive, Libby, and Hoopla (through my library) and sometimes take advantage of free or 99cent Amazon offerings. My suburb is in partnership with the Columbus Metropolitan libraries, so as others have mentioned, I can get books from any of the participating suburbs/branches.

I can get digital movies as well. I don't bother with audiobooks, my mind drifts instead of staying focused.

I was able to get a Cleveland Public Library card as well, since I am an Ohio resident, and did so in order to take advantage of some online resources that aren't available in my local system. I applied online & they mailed the card to me.

• Kathsgrdn, I looked at the Lexington website & they do say that 1) they will issue a digital account number that you can use immediately to access e-books, and 2) If current circumstances prohibit you from applying in person, please email us to let us know your application has been submitted. We will follow up with you as quickly as possible with account login credentials and details about delivery of your card.
    Kathsgrdn thanked raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
  • Toronto Veterinarian
    2 years ago

I was thinking about this thread today while listening to a podcast about advertising - this week was on marketing by libraries. Learned some interesting things about the Toronto Public Library system: It has consistently the most materials borrowed, and the most (in person and online) visits, in North America. Also interestingly, they are the largest consumer of e- content in the world. That's kinda wild.

Kathsgrdn thanked Toronto Veterinarian
  • Kathsgrdn
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I may try the digital account. I can download it on my computer too, can't I? I'd prefer to read on a larger screen. I'm hesitant to get a Kindle or other digital type reader since I spend so much of my time working on the computer. I worry about eye strain, although, I am finding reading at night, laying in bed, in dim light from my little lamp is getting harder to do as I get older.

I am a little grossed out by some library books, which is one reason I started buying books again. You never know what that stain is on a book, or other things that you find. I also liked having the book for as long as I needed without having to worry about finishing before it has to go back to be renewed. Sometimes I'm just too tired to read at bedtime and that seems to be the only time I read books anymore. I may start spending time in my livingroom again so I can sit up on the couch and read in a comfortable place. It's freezing cold in there, though, so I'd have to bundle up.

• amylou321
    2 years ago

I love reading on my kindle. Its a 10 in kindle fire and you can adjust the type size. I used to really enjoy having real books but they just take up space and get in the way. With a kindle you can buy a book and keep in in your digital library and reread whenever you want. Or you can subscribe to kindle unlimited, pay a monthly fee and choose from a huge digital library. No waiting lists, no one waiting on you to get done so they can read it. I know its not for everyone but I recommend people give it a try before deciding they do not like it.

Kathsgrdn thanked amylou321
  • Elmer J Fudd
    2 years ago

NY City has a much larger population than Toronto and it has several different public library systems, divided by geography. Both the NY Public Library and the Brooklyn Public Library each have more books available online though Overdrive than the Toronto library does. What that phrase "consuming e-content" means I don't know but the total of the electronic "books" available in NYC (no doubt with a good deal of duplication but still the raw number) is more than double Toronto's and that doesn't count the separate collection of the library for the borough of Queens.

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm