SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jillian_mackay

Help! Bad kitchen backsplash install.

jillian mackay
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

We are finishing up a kitchen reno and have had some bumps along the way… the latest issue has been with our backspash getting installed. Our contractor had a tiler come in and they did the whole 70sqft area with centura artisan tile but the grout didnt set properly. To fix this they scraped out all of the grout (which took two full days) and then regrouted with a different brand. When we saw the final results we were very unhappy - 70% of the tiles were chipped from the grout removal process and we felt this was unacceptable. Our contractor agreed and they removed all the tile, redid the drywall and got the tiler to come back and start over from scratch with new tile. We were very pleased he decided to do this and cover the cost of the new tile, but when I came home this afternoon and saw the finished project I was still disappointed.

There are areas in the grout that do not look filled, there is one section that has a much wider grout line where it meets the counters compared to the rest of the kitchen, the grout seems uneven in some parts and he had to make the top tiles narrow in one small section that meets the ceiling because they weren’t spaced properly.

Looking for advice on how to handle this situation. The tiles cost $750 and the install cost $1500. I was really expecting the final result to look professionally done but it does not.

I’ve included some pictures of the final ’finished’ product.

Comment (1)