SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
missfrench1998

Kitchen Backsplash Install

Shannon Finsand
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

I hired a designer/contractor to work on a variety of projects in my home, everything was going really well, until the kitchen backsplash was installed. I believe that this was due to a lapse in communication, but am curious on your thoughts on how I should proceed. We selected 2X8 handmade tiles from Sonoma Tilemakers Stellar collection. Our home is very traditional, but the goal was to update with clean simple lines since we tend to lean more modern in taste, but in a way that would blend with the existing surroundings.

We did not realize that the handmade tile would not have a uniform appearance, both the examples in the tile showroom, and pictures of the tile online had a uniform appearance. We hired a designer/contractor because we are not experienced with home remodeling. Should the designer/contractor have warned us for the potential of a lack of uniformity in appearance?

Second we assumed the tile would be installed with the traditional 1/2 offset design. I even had paper versions of the tiles in this pattern taped to my wall prior to construction. She went with a 1/3 offset, but did not ask us about it. This was especially surprising to us, because she was so detailed about getting our confirmation via text on much smaller items, such as which side of the sink we wanted the garbage disposal to be installed on.

We met with her over the weekend and she explained that it was installed according to spec, but the tiles are handmade so they won't be uniform. We tagged the tiles that looked the worst and the tile setter is going to come back and see if he can replace them with different tiles.

She would not except any blame, told us she hoped we would "learn to love it", and told us it would cost $5,300 to remove and replace the tile, which would be on our dime.

I included some pictures, it is a little hard to see since the tile is cream, but you can see towards the middle in the lower section where the tiles stick out, and also to the right of the outlet.

Comments (16)