SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
colorblind1961

HELP!! Was This Backsplash Installed Wrong??

colorblind1961
14 years ago

Just got my kitchen backsplash installed yesterday, and the corner seams do not line up. Is this common or are we being too critical?

{{!gwi}}

Should I have the installer take the tile down on the one wall and re-do it? Help Please!!

Comments (65)

• mjsee
    14 years ago

THREAD JACK! Hey, palimpsest...if you've a few spare moments...take a look at my linked thread? You've got a LOT of experience with decorative objects...I'd love to have your opinion.

melanie

Here is a link that might be useful: mjsee's mystery tray and cordials...

• Valerie Noronha
    14 years ago

Yep, that is not at all professional. Looks like the left side minimally will need to be replaced.

• Related Discussions

Help, Oh, Please Help! - Backsplash Installation. (pics)

Q

Comments (11)
    This is a situation I hate. Short of moving the switches (which isn't always possible), there's no real winning solution. I even talked a friend of mine this summer (who just happens to be an electrical contractor) out any backsplash at all, other than the 4" one that came with his countertop, just because of this, and he said those switches couldn't be moved, because of the way the framing fell, without opening up about 20" of the wall and redoing the framing. If it were up to me, and I had no choice but to deal with it, I'd tile that little space from the side of the cabinet to the door trim.
    ...See More

backsplash install help! is this acceptable?

Q

Comments (21)
    Please believe me, I'm not trying to excuse your tile guy, but is it possible that the sheets themselves had defects? Even so, like others above, I agree that the tile guy should have noticed and brought it up at the time. The longer they "cure" the harder they're going to be to remove and/or adjust. When is he coming back? Has he offered any other solution, other than it won't be visible when it's grouted? I hope he resolves this. These tiles are too gorgeous for you not to be happy with the finished product.
    ...See More

Help! Need opinions - Marble Backsplash cut wrong

Q

Comments (8)
    mwrede: Did you make a decision and call them back the next day? I really hope not--it's too stressful to be rushed thinking this through! Let me first say that I've never done a remodel, and I tend to overthink things,even after I've made my decision. This is your personal space; it should look as close to your vision as possible. Your idea for the backsplash is better than their's--ditch the side pieces. Splashback isn't so great that they are needed. They really seem to me to be a waste of marble and $$. I wouldn't think mirrors all the way down would be the best look. The round mirrors will probably be too small for the large vanity, but I like the idea of mixing a round mirror over the shorter vanity and a rectangular over the longer one, but not splitting the longer into 3 pieces--too choppy, not as pleasing visually. (I don't know why, but picturing mirror/sconce/mirror/sconce/mirror makes me think of an old Italian style, maybe in a 70s Vegas hotel.) The photos show a sleeker, calmer bath taking shape--all those elements on the wall don't really fit that. (Oh, and yes--you must get some money cut off the bill. That's a given!)
    ...See More

Help! Where did the tile backsplash go so wrong?

Q

Comments (47)
    I am glad to see you back Frieda. Don"t even worry about deleting the posts or explaining everything again. But I did want to mention something I forgot to say earlier. You may have already addressed it. But, I noticed when you had the other photos posted, there were two very dark brownish black hexagons right next to each other. While he is at fixing all the other crooked tiles, please consider having him replace those 2 tiles. You can get two tiles that are more the grey color to blend with rest from an extra sheet. Those 2 black ones really stood out because the rest were the greyish tones on that whole run. All I kept thinking was that it looked like a big blob of black "mud" (or something else that I would not want in my kitchen) was flung onto the back splash. Maybe put something in front of it? Sorry, if it does not bother you, just ignore me. ;-) Best wishes sent your way and please do a reveal when everything is fixed. It really is a gorgeous tile with your countertop!!! I am dying to see the whole kitchen with all the other finishes you chose with it.
    ...See More
  • terezosa / terriks
    14 years ago

I'm sooo sorry that you are having a bad experience! How disappointing to hire someone who is supposed to be professional and end up with a hack job! I am glad that he is replacing the tile on the one wall to match it up, but I am also concerned about the difference in spacing between the tile and the granite. I'm going to see if we can get Bill Vincent (the resident tile guru around here) to weigh in.

• colorblind1961
    Original Author
    14 years ago

OK - The installer just left and this is what it looks like now...better?? He is supposed to be back tomorrow to grout.

• cupofkindness
    14 years ago

I'm not so sure about this since I have a full height tile backsplash, but shouldn't there be room along both edges where tile and granite meet for a bead of silicone? Or do you grout this line? Did he leave space for something between the tile and the granite?

I would also have him recut the tile on the left that is crooked from edge to edge, but that's just me.

And I should add that this looks so much better, you won't even notice the little discrepencies when it all comes together.

• graywings123
    14 years ago

Looks great!

• RNmomof2 zone 5
    14 years ago

As someone who has tiled perhaps 30 projects, let me say this. As cjim said we can't complain about this corner without seeing the rest of the layout. Perhaps there is a much more visible area that needed centered or a whole tile versus a fragment. From what we know it is difficult to tell if it is wrong. While the second picture looks better, it may have caused a much bigger mistake elsewhere.

Tile layout is much like wallpapering. One needs to decide what is the predominant area of the room and what is not. Where do I start, center my design, and where do I let the seams (or tiles) fall as they may.

HTH

• karinl
    14 years ago

YES to what MMomof2 said.

The original corner was horrendous and no project should be planned to end up like that. But I'd need to see the big picture to say for sure the job is satisfactory.

KarinL

• holrbak
    14 years ago

I'm sorry but the redo still looks horrible to me. I think it still needs work. Is this person a handy man or a tile contractor? I really think he needs to go back to school and learn the trade some more! I hope he didn't charge you an arm and leg for that unprofessial looking job. JMHI

• iona46
    14 years ago

Glad you were able to get that redone.

I'm not sure what bothers me most about things like that. The bad job, or the fact that they think you will what?.....just live with it? Not notice it? Things like that just leave me purely amazed!

• holrbak
    14 years ago

I meant UNPROFESSIONAL sorry!

• colorblind1961
    Original Author
    14 years ago

OK - Here are pics of the entire backsplash area:
    ...and yes, this was a Professional installer. The Tile Company is giving me a partial refund for my grief.

• maanda
    14 years ago

What strikes me as most obvious is that behind the stove the two square pieces are right beside each other, but on the other wall, there is a tile between.

• 4boys2
    14 years ago

You know it's much better (glad you came to this improvement)But he is still way off the mark .The tiles continue around the corner and remain the same size...I'm not good at explaining so see what I mean with some links..

Here is a link that might be useful:

• 4boys2
    14 years ago

That being said looking at the big picture you will be the only one to notice....

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=13287&stc=1&d=1129601097

• bill_vincent
    14 years ago

As someone who has tiled perhaps 30 projects, let me say this. As cjim said we can't complain about this corner without seeing the rest of the layout.

I'm sorry, but as someone who's done a WHOLE HELLUVA lot more than 30 tile projects, I can't disagree more with that statement. If there's a problem elsewhere in the layout, then that should be addressed before the FIRST wall goes up. This is completely inexcusable no matter what.

What strikes me as most obvious is that behind the stove the two square pieces are right beside each other, but on the other wall, there is a tile between.

I'm sure that was done as an accent over the stove. My problem with it is that it's not centered. This guy started with full and half tiles from the left, and went with it. Being that these two dots were going to be certainly noticeable over the stove with reference to whether or not they were centered. THAT should've been where he started his layout from. But it is what it is. To make that work now, BOTH walls would have to come down and be redone, and for that, it's not really worth it. Looks to me like this guy did no planning whatsoever. Just started with full and half tiles, and whatever comes, comes.

What a maroon.

• User
    14 years ago

I'm sorry you had to go through this. I'm also glad to hear they gave you a partial refund.

The corner is much better than before! It's still not perfect but if you place something in the corner (decorative maybe) it won't be noticeable. The rest looks pretty good except the two square pieces behind the stove. I'm trying to figure out why he didn't notice that when he was fixing his first mistake? You're talking with people on a decorating forum so we're definitely going to notice. The ordinary person may not. The question comes down to if that bothers you.

I really like the tile/counter/cabinet combo!

• 4boys2
    14 years ago

If anyone here has not heard of "bill vincent" just search his name ....He is the tile guru ...I'm glad you ran across this thread...

• colorblind1961
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I am pretty stressed out over this whole ordeal. I went to a very reputable Tile Co. thinking this would never happen. In person, the tiles over the stove don't look that off center, but in the picture it looks horrible. Should I have the installer move the one accent piece over to the right one tile? Once he grouts tomorrow - it's over. I'm so sad :(

• bill_vincent
    14 years ago

I'd leave them right where they are. If anyone asks, you can dazzle them with your decorating BRILLIANCE by saying it was planned that way, so as to be centered on the CLOCK on the stove!! LOL

Seriously-- it'd still show up as being off center, moving the one piece. let it be.

• 4boys2
    14 years ago

Did he tile behind the stove down to counter height ??

I'm so sorry.... I know this is agonizing...It's not like you picked a paint color you didn't like...I wish you well...
    No matter what be sure in your own heart that what comes to be will satisfy YOU.

• patty_cakes
    14 years ago

Colorblind, no matter *what* he does, there will be no 'center' over the stove cause it just isn't possible unless he starts in the center and works his way out from there~why wouldn't he have done this in the first place if he knew there was a center design?

Honestly, i'm a person who usually lets things roll right off my back, but this type of *workmanship* bugs the heck out of me. I'm sorry to say this, But I feel he needs to remove the whole wall(over the stove)and start from scratch. I don't know how his will affect the corner, but there is a possibility he'll have to do both walls, again.

I find the corner acceptable, for now. What about the smaller tiles on each side of the window? They're both a different distance from the window.

I would put off grouting tomorrow, and tell him you need to do some thinking. You *are* the one paying and should be a satisfied customer. ;o)

• 4boys2
    14 years ago

This reminds me so much of what happened to busybme...I wonder if Sandy got satisfaction...I don't want to turn this into a highjack ...I'll check in with her on another post...Since turning 50 I've slowly learned that there is nothing wrong with not settling for anything less than what I expect,want or paid for.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/decor/msg0115133620207.html

• kitchencommander
    14 years ago

OMGosh Colorblind, I am so sorry you have had to be so stressed out. It really sucks that you hire a company that you think is reputable and then you get a sub-standard installation. Anyway, you certainly made a lovely tile selection.

I am posting a picture of the tile backsplash I did for my neighbor a few weeks ago. I am no way, no how a professional, but just a DIYer. Bill Vincent, Mongoct and Weedyacres from these forums have given me such valuable information along with confidence and inspiration. I am also posting a picture of my backsplash, the corner area. When I look at the picture, it is kind of hard to determine that there is actually a corner there.

BTW....your kitchen looks almost like my neighbor's kitchen.

Wonderful, wacky neighbor's kitchen-not a perfect corner, but at least I tried.

Looks better from far away

My kitchen backsplash

• bill_vincent
    14 years ago

I'm sorry to say this, But I feel he needs to remove the whole wall(over the stove)and start from scratch. I don't know how his will affect the corner, but there is a possibility he'll have to do both walls, again.

It's more than a possibility. It's the only way it can be done.

What about the smaller tiles on each side of the window? They're both a different distance from the window.

Pick one. Over the stove, or either side of the window. Unless there's some incredible luck involved, you won't get both. I promise you that.

• User
    14 years ago

((((Colorblind))))!!! Hugs to you. Let us know how it goes. I know you don't want to be sad everytime you look at your backsplash.

• monicakm_gw
    14 years ago

If the grout blends with the tile (vs contrast) will it help the overall look of the tile job? I'm sorry :((
    Monica

• mary_lu_gw
    14 years ago

Would it be possible to have him add a small square every other tile all the way around? That would move one of the two that are off center above the stove. Still not centered, but would make the look consistent all over? Looks like it would work by adding one before the window, one after the window, moving one over behind the stove and adding one more before the end?

For me the inconsistency above the stove would really bother me. But that's just me. I don't really know anything about installing tile so do not know if my suggestion would be doable or not. Just an idea.

• colorblind1961
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oh, thanks soooo much everyone for all your support! I feel like I have a bunch of really good friends in my corner and that to me is so reassuring. We have decided to have the installer grout and finish the job. I'm the type of person who never sweats the small stuff and always sees the glass half full, but I have lost faith in this Company and really don't want their involvement any longer. I have a consult with another Contractor this afternoon. For the record, I did "map out" my design when the installer first came out to my home. I even gave him a Photoshop of the stove area to show him exactly what I wanted. I put my faith in him and his Company and this is what I got. I know I keep saying this, but this forum and everyone on it is the best. Thank you from the bottom of my heart! I'll keep you posted.

• annzgw
    14 years ago

Once it's grouted and you have your accessories back on the counter, I don't think you'll notice any of this.
    One would have to sit and stare at your backsplash to notice what we're all seeing. If things look fine IRL, then that's all that matters.

I've noticed some errors done in my house, but didn't find them until 6 years after living here!

If you're not happy with it, then have them redo the wall behind the stove before he grouts. I've found it costs more to have another contractor repair the first one's mistake.

• dilly_dally
    14 years ago

It does look much better after the redo. You say you do not 'sweat the small stuff' but I would live with this before grouting, just to be sure since this is so permanent.

I would space the decorative tiles all away around the whole area adding more since none of them are going to be centered on anything. I am not understanding why the guy used 4x4 tiles on the ends instead of 2x6(or what ever the narrow ones are) which is the way it is usually done.

• yborgal
    14 years ago

I'm sure once you have things on the counter you won't notice that something isn't quite right.

But I can't figure out why one of your tiles looks smaller than the others and why there isn't a "closing point" between the lower tiles in that corner.

As far as the decorative inserts over the stove, it looks as though they're centered with the microwave. I'm thinking your stove is what's a little off-center from the microwave.

• IdaClaire
    14 years ago

Once it's grouted and you have your accessories back on the counter, I don't think you'll notice any of this.

I wholeheartedly agree! I don't think things have to be absolutely precision-perfect to be beautiful. Enjoy your "new" kitchen. It's lovely!

• karinl
    14 years ago

"For the record, I did "map out" my design when the installer first came out to my home."

Just to belabour the point (sorry! but I think for lurkers who are learning from this it's important), I'm wondering whether your original design specified how the tiles should meet in the corner.

Mentally measuring how the original installation with the bad corner might have placed the accent tiles over the stove, which would have pretty much been centered, I wonder if the original problem occurred BECAUSE he was following your instructions? If I'm wrong I apologize, but it strikes me as the kind of thing that could happen with, as I said, an uncertain division of decision-making. Photoshop, in particular, may not be as accurate as drafting it out on the wall.

Of course, what he should have done if that were the case is contacted you when he noticed the problem and discussed what to do from there, before just making a bad corner. What happens all too often is that people who are excellent at doing something are lousy communicators and thus their work never really reaches its potential. But I think also, clients often do have unrealistic expectations and then aren't there to talk it through when problems become evident.

The question of course arises now what another contractor could do differently, because the space and the tile are not going to change. Looking at the job overall again this morning, I am struck by how PERFECT the layout over the sink is in pretty much all respects, so that doesn't strike me as needing any change.

The only thing that could change would be to wrap the tile around the corner as shown in Kitchen Commander's first example above, rather than make it a mirror image at the corner, and that would probably push your accent tiles toward the centre of your stove. But how would your outlets then be placed on the pattern, and how would the right end look? Maybe put on your outlet covers to fully assess the effect before you make a change. And then decide which would bug you more, the accent not quite centered, or the outlets perhaps seeming to be more randomly placed?

I really like your approach of not sweating the small stuff. With the original mistake corrected, the overall beauty of the space already makes its statement. The tile itself is gorgeous, the design is creative yet elegant, the match with the counter just the perfect blend of harmony and contrast, just a great kitchen overall. I think the point at which you can forget the details and enjoy the whole is the point where it's "good enough."

KarinL

• 4boys2
    14 years ago

Karinl...When I hire someone to tile my backsplash I don't expect to have to tell him how to do it !Is there not a standard for how the tiles should meet at the corner ? You said it well when you said that it should have that wrap around not mirror image.I disagree that the "original mistake was CORRECTED" it was just improved .

And Colorblind please make sure that he tiled behind the stove to counter height...Many stoves nowadays have a lower profile .If you decide to change out someday (not that there is anything wrong with the one you have now)that will be of use...

• Arapaho-Rd
    14 years ago

I can empathize with your situation. I remodeled my kitchen 5 years ago and had an unbelievable situation with a contractor who worked for a big box store - he was fired after the work he did for me. The store minimally settled with me but I regret not going after what was right because now I am stuck with the workmanship or lack of it and will have to pay for several things to be re-done. We all have to live with imperfections but if you paid top dollar for a professional job and didn't get it then I wouldn't let them get away with it. My heart goes out to you.

• colorblind1961
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Here are pictures of the final product after grouting. We will live with it for a little and then re-group. Forboystoo - he did tile to counter height behind the stove. Karinl - I am an average DIY'er, but tiling is so far out of my ability, I brought in what I thought was a professional to execute my design. I relied on this person to do the job correctly, without any direction from me, as I would with any other contractor who does work in my home. I have definitely learned my lesson and will thoroughly research the how-to part of each and every project I tackle from here on out. Thanks again for all of your input - it means the world to me.

• karinl
    14 years ago

Forboystoo, I agree the mistake was improved vs fully corrected, though I think it's pretty good and it may be the best option possible. I was trying to expand on what I think was Bill Vincent's point that sometimes you can't have it all. With that tile laid in that space in that pattern, it may simply not be possible to centre the pattern over the stove AND make a perfect corner.

I was also trying to point out that if you specify one detail, you can force the contractor's hand on some other details that you did not think to specify because some things are mutually exclusive. I don't know if that was the situation in this case or not, but even if it wasn't, again I'm just trying to pull a point from this that might help others avoid such a situation. Obviously, it's quite a distressing experience.

KarinL

• susie100
    14 years ago

It looks great!

• kitchencommander
    14 years ago

Hey Colorblind-I think your backsplash looks really pretty. I think after a while, you won't notice the boo boos. Looks nice since you added your special touches.

• patty_cakes
    14 years ago

Ya know what, I think it's gonna work!! Adding accessories can hide a multitude of sins. If you don't point out the *snafus* no one will even notice. ;o)

• jlj48
    14 years ago

I think it all looks fantastic. I wouldn't sweat it. I would just chalk it up to wisdom gained for future endeavors. You really have a beautiful kitchen.

• bill_vincent
    14 years ago

I get a kick out of how close that clock on the stove is to really being centered-- almost as if it really WAS planned! LOL

I agree with the others. I think once you get used to it, you won't even notice it. The one big problem has been alleviated, and frankly, it doesn't look bad.

A little off topic, but I'm seeing alot of names I haven't seen in a while, and I just wanted to say hi to everyone. One in particular, though (AuntJen), I haven't seen literally in YEARS! Hey lady!! *waving*

• 4boys2
    14 years ago

It does look good...Great choice in colors...I'm just glad that many here may have learned to "put on their big girl pants" and say I'm not going to take it.

Colorblind I'm so glad that you brought it to the attention of everyone here to reaffirm what you knew all along and that you where not being "Too critical"..

Now Enjoy

PS Love the choice in plate covers.........

• colorblind1961
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks again everyone for your kind words of reassurance. I got up this morning and it's not as bad as it was yesterday. I guess a good nights sleep can really help clear the mind. Onto the next project!

• Valerie Noronha
    14 years ago

colorblind: I think you handled this situation perfectly. You made them fix the most glaring problems and accepted a partial refund, then decorated around it so the imperfections are barely noticeable except to the most critical of eyes. Kuddos to you! Now, take those savings and spend it on something totally frivolous and induldge yourself. You deserve it. It's a very pretty kitchen and I'm sure you are happy to be able to use it again.

• hoosiergirl
    14 years ago

I think it's gorgeous! Enjoy your new backsplash and try to forget the bad feelings you had about it!

• fluffybutt
    14 years ago

Another here saying I like it. Even if it may not be absolutely perfect, the average person isn't going to notice.

• elle3
    14 years ago

LOVE your switchplates!