SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
annieg79

Full Basement Finish - a few questions...

Annie Garland
2 years ago

We're about to finish a 1400 sq ft unfinished basement. The house is a 1400 sq ft ranch so this will nearly double our liveable space. It's a long, narrow space with the stairs and furnace in the middle to work around. There is rough in plumbing which sets the bathroom where it is. We're stuck on a few design details. Would love advice!

1) We have white faux wood shutters on the main level and love them. Should we do the same in the basement or go with a less expensive black out roller shade?

2) I am a personal trainer and do a lot of sessions on Zoom. One room will be a gym where I'll be working. It's off the new TV room. Do we use a solid wood door like all the others or create more light in this room by having a door with glass?

3) We currently do not have a closet in the design for the gym. Wondering if we should? If so, it would create a "bump out" design going into the living room as I can't afford to lose space in the gym.

4) We don't want to walk down the stairs and have a solid wall on the left. This seems as though it will make the basement feel smaller. We are considering framing out a small doorway to the left into the laundry/storage room and a larger entry into the livingroom. Thoughts on this design?

5) Do we pay $800 more to add a sink by the laundry?

6) What else?? Thank you!

Comments (7)