SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mcauly

Bathroom Vanity Lighting

mcauly
2 years ago

Hi! id love some help with figuring out lighting in this space to balance out the scale of mirrors/sinks. the mirrors will be darkened as well. thanks thanks!

Comments (54)

• mcauly
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you!

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    2 years ago

Not sure any of these are good choices. Your electrical is just not in the right location for two mirrors.

mcauly thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • Related Discussions

Can i use a bathroom vanity light as a kitchen sconce?

Q

Comments (7)
    Without seeing size and location of windows or your kitchen’s style, can’t really provide input on your choice. My only thought is that this type is often seen in bathrooms. Maybe if you search double sconces and not include “kitchen”, you may see others that you like better.
    ...See More

Help please. Bathroom vanity lights question.

Q

Comments (7)
    Hi Jackowskib - thanks for the photo. I really like the look. I do have two recessed lights in the room as well. What is the width of your vanity lights. The two light fixture is 13.5 inches wide. The three light fixture is 23.5 inches wide. I wasn’t sure which would look better with the mirror that spans across the width of the vanity. I do like your two rectangular mirrors though. But I’m worried that would make my space look smaller.
    ...See More

Best Bathroom Vanity Lighting with LED Mirrors

Q

Comments (6)
    I don't think LED mirrors work in this context, given your other design choices. They're too modern. And why would you double the lighting at the vanity with regular sconces AND LED mirrors? Get regular framed mirrors and use the sconces only.
    ...See More

Bathroom vanity light problem

Q

Comments (3)
    wall fixture with a wider back panel It will allow him to cover the outlet box and centre the fixture. Sconces would have to be fed by wires drilled through studs and into newly mounted electrical boxes. Not a big deal for electricians used to retrofitting older homes without smashing walls. One I used had drill bits up to five feet long for just such work.
    ...See More
  • PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Is this a guest bathroom? Is there recessed lighting? As it stands right now you will have very poor light quality and each mirror will only have half it's face lit. Side mount sconces may not work here as they will really also light just one side of the face from a different angle.

Can we move the electircal?

mcauly thanked RL Relocation LLC
  • mcauly
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Yes looks like I’ll have to move the electrical - are you suggesting locations similar to Beverlys illustration (thanks for those Beverly). I also think my mirrors are probably too wide

• everdebz
    2 years ago

Vibe desired - more traditional cottage like vanity/mirrors -- or a transitional direction which seems an option ?

mcauly thanked everdebz
  • mcauly
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Traditional/shabby chic cottage preferred

• mcauly
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@everdebz do you think one two light smack in the middle of the two mirrors? i can find brighter gold mirrors maybe slightly longer but with a slightly skinnier profile. these seem a tad too wide - something felt off with the scale.

i thought to go darker because the finish was off seemed easier to paint darker but bow that i want them slimmer, will just get a lighter gold. thanks thanks!

• mcauly
    Original Author
    2 years ago

• mcauly
    Original Author
    2 years ago

The second can flip upside down and i can add shades to the first

• mcauly
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Not crazy about lampshades but its an option

• everdebz
    2 years ago

Checking in -- how do the vessel sinks fit the picture? Because they 'stick up' I think that changes the scale --height of sink vs. width of mirror?!

Simply cottage sanded/ lightly dry brushed? Seems I read of Beth doing that.... [hi]

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    2 years ago

.I would not make them darker, I would actually paint them white. and NO one light in the middle is no good for shaving or makeup. But this is why I asked about the use of the is room, is it the main use or master?

If you consider changing the mirror I would move to one mirror to cover the whole space and mirror mound the light fixture.

mcauly thanked RL Relocation LLC
  • mcauly
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@RL Relocation LLC there’s 1 recessed light light. this is the master and yes shaving and makeup would be part of the desired functions for the space.

• everdebz
    2 years ago

You're committed because of the vanity, so I'd show to eclectic a bit... get a vintage wall item and vintage towel.

mcauly thanked everdebz
  • mcauly
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks so much @Beth H. : one of these options will definitely work. Leaning towards the solo with pendants or the two white mirrors. where are they from? thank you!!!

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

you mean the mirrors? where are they from? or the lights?

I've done a few of those vintage mirrors. what you do is look for the size you need, like that solo one, and paint it out.

you could prob do two of these size mirrors:,,,I found this on craigslist for $30 I think. painted it and gold rub and buffed it.

would you want to keep the gilded look or paint it to match your dresser? something this big and too gold might be too much above that vanity.

so look for those vintage mirrors at flea marts, salvage stores, online, etc.

mcauly thanked Beth H. :
  • everdebz
    2 years ago

You could buy a good led mirror and plug in. Magnifying.

mcauly thanked everdebz
  • everdebz
    2 years ago

A good shape - W 16" / D 8" / H 13"

8033 Victoria Collection Wall Sconce, Royal Cut · More Info

mcauly thanked everdebz
  • everdebz
    2 years ago

Trying to tie in - is floor tile black? etc... W 12.5" / D 5" / H 18" / the electric box is high.

Crystorama Derby 2 Light Wall Mount DER-401-BF - Black Forged · More Info

mcauly thanked everdebz
  • everdebz
    2 years ago

I looked at Beth's some more and wow... and similar to yours.

2 new flat mirrors, this type? W 32.5" / D 8.5" / H 7.75"

Zilo 4 Light Bath Bar, Graphite Finish, 7" Italian Marble Glass · More Info

Back Chipped Frameless Oval Mirror, 20" X 30" · More Info

mcauly thanked everdebz
  • everdebz
    2 years ago

How tall are your mirrors? a frameless like the last one could reduce "busy visual" of a few different materials and shapes.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

turn those down. light is horrible w/those turned up toward the ceiling.

• mcauly
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you both so much! @Beth H. : do you use a clear coat over your painted dressers? Thanks!

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

I think w/that one, since it was a chalk paint, I waxed it. (I sand between coats so I get a buttery smooth finish)

but I have used Gen,Finishes Urethane wipe on clear coat on others. for a bathroom I'd go w/that one. satin finish.

mcauly thanked Beth H. :
  • mcauly
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Awesome, thank you! @Beth H. :

• everdebz
    2 years ago

I don't want to interefere, but I'll add that the polished brass 2-light can install up or down... do you have news about ones you posted a few days ago?

• mcauly
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I found two mirrors that seem to work - leaning towards the right. Mirrors arent aligned - just leaning on the faucet right now.

if the sconce doesnt work then ill move the lights. may also do two recessed one each side vs the one.

• everdebz
    2 years ago

Imo left mirror's frame is too wide. Another photo of the right might be clearer.

Posts 6 days ago of your sconces in shabby chic soft finishes - what about with oval mirrors you showed initially, but whitened?

or as Beth showed champagne gold lighting...

• everdebz
    2 years ago

Now can see tub's gold feet. What about your initial mirrors? can you show them in daylight to see how dark they are...

mcauly thanked everdebz
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

sorry, but the two diff mirrors don't work.

and the frames do appear overly large.

were you planning on painting them?

just do some simple gold frame mirrors

Just copy this look

I think you need to paint the wall (or at least that back wall) a diff color. next to the vanity and gold, it's just meh.

And consider spraying your hardware the same gold. Right now they just look tarnished against the sinks.

• mcauly
    Original Author
    2 years ago

The frame of the original mirrors seem large and i think the mirrors are misshapen on closer look. @everdebz

• mcauly
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Beth H. : i wasnt planning on using two different mirrors lols just put one of each up to compare looks

waiting on the champagne spray to arrive - thanks for the info.

its not as easy finding oval mirrors about 23inches wide but will keep searching. Is the first pic after the mirrors a houzz photo? i do like those mirrors. thanks!

• olychick
    2 years ago

Are the original mirrors returnable? Sorrry if I missed that. If you own them why not just paint them? I think the size would work if they were lighter.

• mcauly
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Yes i can return then @olychick

• everdebz
    2 years ago

What's width of sink and width of initial mirrors? they had a nice shape...

• mcauly
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@everdebz sink is 15.75w mirror - 25

• everdebz
    2 years ago

My eyes were 'off'. I'd like to make sure I understand, that one mirror was 10" wider than a sink ?

• mcauly
    Original Author
    2 years ago

lols yup - i still don't see it either but thats what the numbers say @everdebz

• everdebz
    2 years ago

From where I sit, the mirror seems hard-boiled egg, and sink below is the holder/ the egg cup.... something ok about the entire shape and scale. Can't be there in person though to really see.

• everdebz
    2 years ago

I came upon a room reminding me of yours -- different of course, but nice to see it?

What about a frameless mirror for yours? I thought you might experiment with your first frame by placing white tape/ fabric over it.

Beverlywood Residence · More Info

• mcauly
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I took the plunge and painted a mirror yesterday and so far so good. I will finish up tomorrow and post the pic - thanks for sharing this @everdebz

• everdebz
    2 years ago

Yeah! will take a look, congrats on that.

• mcauly
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I didnt get to the second yet… wondered about trying the light gold on the othee when that arrives before committing to white. @everdebz

• everdebz
    2 years ago

Question - are the handles to be changed at all?

If not, there's quite detail already, and sinks are a bit shiny --

to keep it 'together' I'd reduce the heavier gold finish.

But white seems nice!

mcauly thanked everdebz
  • everdebz
    2 years ago

Just realized that Idk if the sinks are brass... ?

mcauly thanked everdebz
  • olychick
    2 years ago

You could also try a TINY bit of rub n' buff on the details with the white - in one of the gold or brass tones. Too much and it will end up gold like where you started! I really like the white better than the gold mirror.

mcauly thanked olychick
  • mcauly
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks! will try the rub n buff. @olychick

@everdebz thanks! handles will be spray painted a champagne gold to match the sinks.

• everdebz
    2 years ago

oh... !

• PRO
    Axius Americas
    2 years ago

Polished brass will not only blend with the rest but will also create a stunning backdrop. You can give them a thought.