SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sgordon871

Help with wall art ideas

Chris
2 years ago

Hi. I’ve been waiting for inspiration for 3 years to find something to fill the empty wall beside the tv. I feel like it can’t be square or rectangular but nothing has caught my eye. Plus I have a real problem putting holes in the wall unless I love what we are hanging. A lot of friends tell us to raise the tv when I’ve sent them pictures, but in person it doesn’t look that weird and it lines up for comfortable viewing. I’ve considered a bit of asymmetrical mid-century shelving, metal wall sculpture, and a giant plant. The furniture under the tv is adjustable, but our pup like to sleep under the open spot( we usually move her bed there when she decides it’s time to nap there:)
Any ideas what might look good there?

Comments (29)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

IMO the TV is all that you need on that wall so move it over to the other side and then let the plants grow if you want something beside the TV BTW the other side is a better size for the TV too,

• loobab
    2 years ago

I think something (or a group of things) that has curves would be a nice addition to the things you already have.

• Related Discussions

Choosing correct size/centering art work help please

Q

Comments (4)
    This is a very rough and quick attempt to illustrate what I think both the previous comments are aiming that -- not the perfect solution, but the point is that the stuff on the dresser is badly arranged. You need two centres of interest, one clustering around the lamp (which shouldn't be so close to the edge) and one on the other side of the dresser. Hang the art between them. In this example, below, we are missing the taller item you need on the right to balance the lamp.
    ...See More

ideas for art work on this wall?

Q

Comments (13)
    IMO you buy art because you love it not because it “goes “ with the decor. I think one of the giant floral wallpapers would be great on that wall. BTW wood slat blinds and that chandelier do not work together
    ...See More

Looking for wall art/art-work suggestions for my living room

Q

Comments (17)
    I think an abstract landscape/water piece, with some color, would look fabulous there … and play into your wonderful views. It would also bring warmth in, while keeping with the very modern style of the room. I’d look on Etsy, on gallery sites, Ebay, and/or visit local places to find a piece that speaks to you. This is a prominent spot — I wouldn’t buy a big piece of generic wall filler. Art here could be the soul of the room. https://magazine.artland.com/top-10-landscape-artists-in-modern-and-contemporary-art/ I do like the idea of three b/w prints you posted — it brings to mind water movement.
    ...See More

How should I hang art work on these walls?

Q

Comments (5)
    I'd put blinds Bamboo blinds, more contemporary, on the windows and open the drapery panels on each side of the windows... only need the drapes pulled when you want a total darkness. I'd put large art in the indented area with a table and lamp Ambient lighting is a must for any room. A tall piece of furniture on that tiled floor that meets the carpet. I'd pull the sectional closer to the tiled edge... away from the window move the ottoman to the far side... and the side chair. ... find a new play room for the kitchen set.
    ...See More
  • Olychick
    2 years ago

I think it's the perfect height. I'd probably try putting that wonderful plant that's to the right of the console up onto it. It will fill that wall space and provide balance (if it still gets enough light from the window. I'd look for something else in place of the 3 plants (or nothing at all). With the 3 wall hangings and the 3 plants...they all look like little soldiers all lined up in a row.

• Chris
    Original Author
    2 years ago

It’s a very long room… that’s the reason it feels off center in the first picture.

• everdebz
    2 years ago

Add item in teal? wondering what this looks like in person.

Round Tree of Life Teal · More Info

• everdebz
    2 years ago

This organic looking piece doesn't 'overwhelm' your arrowheads...

Howard Elliott Open Work Bronze Wall Decor · More Info

• everdebz
    2 years ago

Rounded Brown Fractal Flower, Floral Round Wall Art, 23" · More Info

• Chris
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I do like myself some circles! About how large would it need to be to look good? The arrow head cases are 6 feet tall( for reference).

• everdebz
    2 years ago

Adding a 4th item to tabletop, but with shine -

ya know, I'm thinking that an item that complements your collection is worth waiting for, but don't wait forever kidding.

Water'S Edge - 15.25 Inch Bowl Water'S Edge - 15.25 Inch Bowl - Decor · More Info

Antique Brass Decorative Bowl for Home Decor, Large · More Info

• Jilly
    2 years ago

Awesome arrowhead collection. Good-looking room.

I would do a gallery wall, a monochromatic look of shapes and colors that would not take away from your main display. And not just wall filler, but art that means something to you.

Example of placement (I’m not choosing actual art to show, as that’s a personal thing):

• Chris
    Original Author
    2 years ago

That’s why nothings found it’s way on that spot. I want to want to look at it every day. And putting holes in unblemished walls has been a struggle. My husband hung some gallery wall wire system in the hall so I can continuously move pictures around….

• Jilly
    2 years ago

Meant to say, I like the idea of something with a natural/organic feel like the woven piece Everdebz posted.

Another idea along those lines is finding interesting baskets you like, made by individuals … on Etsy, vintage on Ebay, local places, etc:

ETA: We were posting at the same time … very cool set-up in your hall. I really like your style!

I understand about nail holes — maybe cut some shapes out and tape them up to get ideas first.

• PRO
    User
    2 years ago

The TV placement is great. Glad you didn't listen to your friends.

It's hard for others to suggest art pieces when it is such a personal quest, and it sounds like you understand that deeply, considering the arrowheads. What about finding a topographical map of the lake(s) your grandfather found the arrowheads at? You could get it printed in black/white then frame it to the size you need. Example: Zion National Park

Or tree ring artwork of the trees native to the area your grandfather found the arrowheads at:

This Etsy shop has tons of great pieces!

This one is a Florida cypress tree:

• Chris
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I’m really enjoying all these ideas! I’m loving the circles, basket and meaningful print ideas …..and It helps me get out of my own head. The area is about 7’x6’ overall( from the console to the ceiling x the tv to the wall edge). Sizing it out will be tough for me.
    Thank you guys!!!!!

• turtlexings24
    2 years ago

I agree with Patricia. You have a great balance of decor already going on in that space (love your arrow head collection!). The negative space looks good. Anything else added there will just be cluttering.

• everdebz
    2 years ago

I get why a map because I think of that too [especially when people decorate a guest room]. As said, small item over the tv, and 1 to right of tv creates a pleasing wavy line.

Just one to the right has the slope down toward the right. Is that what has been missing - that missing piece? ;)

• Chris
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Very fun art! Thanks for posting. I’ll check it out.

• Connecticut Yankeeeee
    2 years ago

Hi Chris- I offer no help but I want to say I love the arrowhead collection! What a great personal memory and very well displayed. I’m more of a minimalist and I’d let those be the star. I agree with Patricia about moving the TV. Agree with olychick that TV is proper level.

• loobab
    2 years ago

hris-

I love the arrowheads of your grandfather's and you did a great job framing them.

On the other side of the TV, you should have something that is you or your husband, or the both of you, or that is your family, in a curvilinear form that somehow expresses you, your interests, hobbies, profession, emotions, collections, vocations, anything that is you.

Rather than some randomly chosen piece of art.

It could be art done by someone else, but it should have a special meaning to you.

For example, do you or did you dance?

Then I would paint on the wall or on a canvas mural or purchase a reproduction of something like this:

or

Do you like geometry? Do you remember the spirograph where you could draw all kinds of neat things based on circles?

They make very large ones and you can make a marvelous work of art on the wall that is an original in any color you like.

Do you collect things like fossils or shells or butterflies?

Do you make pottery?

You could buy simple black brackets and display them.

Are you a chemist?

Find (or create) some tongue in cheek art or 3-D art with a hexane ring or whatever you can find that strikes a chord. (I am mixing my metaphors!)

Some sort of 3-D collage would look marvelous.

Whatever you put up in that space has to be dramatic and special and large.

Either a single large thing, or if it is a grouping, the group together needs to be large.

And the items need to be special, not prosaic, not baskets anyone can pick up at World Market.

Most important, whatever you do, it needs to be about you, or you and your family.

As marvelous as the arrowheads are, and they are magnificent, the house isn't a shrine to your grandfather.

Let it shine with who YOU are just as much.

You can keep the TV where it is, you are human after all!

• kcooz07
    2 years ago

Another thought since you are hesitant about hanging more items, would be to try different things on your console. I would move it a drop to the left so it's under the TV completely. Take everything off the top and try different things. Maybe a tall vase or the 3 plants to the right of the TV. Or try raising the big plant higher. I don't think the 3 plants under the TV are ideal and that along with the TV is making everything look heavy on the left. Same with the coffee table. JMO.

• Chris
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you, kcooz07. Great suggestions. I’m glad I posted. I’ve got to be more experimental. We have some fun things that we have made and our kids have some funky things. I’ve been inspired. Thank you!

• sunshine_31
    2 years ago

I think the height of the TV is perfect. I don't think the wall needs more art, as what is there works very well. I love that you are thoughtful in what is hung and that your pieces are special. This is what I want to do too, but it does lead to a sort of paralysis with what to hang. I'm in the same boat in a few spots in my home, so I get it! In this room, I would consider moving the TV to the right, and then moving the furthest left picture to the right of the others, creating more empty space between the door and the artwork, to balance the wall a bit. Then either get a plant with more height, or raise the current one in a tall planter, or a floor lamp to give a little height on the right side. I don't think the 3 potted plants in front of the TV are in the best spot either. Maybe move them to the coffee table, or move over to the right, so they don't block the TV. A stack of books, a low bowl might work there. Another option would be a larger, wider TV ;)

• loobab
    2 years ago

You know what, if you can't think of anything else, you and your family can go hunting for some interesting found objects that are connected to each other.

Maybe things on the beach like different types of shells, drifthood, a seahorse.

Or different shaped leaves, acorns, pinecones, interesting shaped branches.

Practice arranging the things in different combinations.

Then find yourself a fledging but talented, creative photographer.

Have her or him take monochrome shots of these things, black and white and gray scale and play with shadow, or sepia if you prefer.

Remember less is more.

And then have it blown up at a print shop, you can have it plaqued or framed.

Call your local 4 year and 2 year colleges for names of students.

Be sure to emphasize that your budget is limited.

First start collecting objects that interest you, unless you already have them.

Look at the works of the great photographers, particularly those that worked in black and white.

You will get a feel for what you like and you can learn some of the vocabulary so you can communicate what you are looking for and you can better judge the work of the people you will be interviewing.

It will also help you put together a better composition of your own objects, or even better position one object within a shot.

• Chris
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks again for the responses all the great ideas! I’m inspired to look at things anew and find some meaningful additions and make adjustments.

• Jilly
    2 years ago

Hope you’ll update us! :)

• blueskysunnyday
    6 months ago

I’d love to see a photo of the finished result!

• Jilly
    6 months ago

Me, too!

Rereading this, I miss seeing Everdebz around. She‘s always been so helpful and kind on the boards.

• ilikefriday
    6 months ago

I think this room is beautiful as is.