SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_694237900

Cabinet paint suggestions please!

M P
2 years ago

We currently have cherrywood cabinets and a travertine tile backsplash against black granite counters with flecks of brown and gray in them. The walls in the main area of the house have been painted with SW Olympus White with bright white trim. We’ll be whitewashing the tile backsplash as well. Not planning on renovating or changing counters just yet.

Was looking at SW Ice Cube, or SW Lazy Gray (at 50% or 75%) for cabinets, but would love some suggestions!

Comments (43)

• loobab
    2 years ago

Uppers - do the same color as the trim in semi-gloss

Lowers - do Olympus White in semi-glass

Consider changing the squiggly knobs over the rangetop

See if you can remove the ornamental woodwork over the rangetop.

• Related Discussions

Mastr Bathroom Paint - Concur or Suggestions Please

Q

Comments (6)
    lukkiirish - Your offer is very nice and certainly a visual would help. I'm attaching the only other two photos I have of the room and presently it is in a state of de-construction so taking a fresh one isn't an option. I've been considering your advise on the ceiling and may just go with white there as I sort of have my heart set on the brown and blue for the other walls. Besides, they're more easily repainted should I be disappointed! This vanity is going to be replaced. Planning for a beveled glass mirror beginning above the outlets and "floating" on the wall. A medicine cabinet will remain where one is seen (but perhaps with a door matching the cabinets, no mirror) but the Linen Closet beyond will contain a cabinet, matching the vanity, going almost to the plant shelf. Going to be late summer getting these as our cabinet maker is booked until then (lucky him). The shower will become frameless glass but the footprint does not change. Our flag is hung, almost summer weather here in northern IL. Unusually warm and I'm using the patio this evening - unheard of for March! Thanks for your encouragement.
    ...See More

Painting kitchen cabinets - need soft white color suggestion please!

Q

Comments (52)
    Thank you, lam and peppy doodle! I have to admit I was a little bit in shock when they first took down the tape because it looked so different, but now I'm loving the change! I'm glad I'm not regretting it. I keep sneaking back into the kitchen to look at it. Seems so much brighter and lighter than before, but still warm enough with the creamy white. I can't wait to see it with the doors back on and new hardware installed. Snookums - thanks for the tip. I'm trying to keep everyone out of the kitchen and the painters are very careful, but good to know. I'd hate to have a can of paint spill all over my slate floor!
    ...See More

White Paint Color for Cabinet and Trim Suggestions Please

Q

Comments (1)
    Fun-C is the Goddess of LRV's here! But.....most of the time, with WHITES, the LRV, imo..... won't change or help much. Your lighting color-temperature, & the amount of outside light & its direction, have by far the most influence on perceived color!! Since this is for cabs & trim, I'd highly recommend a special class of paints for "Cabinets & Trim"! There are a few good brands. Faron
    ...See More

Please help! Need CURRENT cabinet paint suggestions

Q

Comments (19)
    Yes, the cure time was kind of long with the BM advance too. It takes like a month to really harden. In fact, my hubby had to re-paint two of the grey drawers on my island next to my stools. I had used some leather cleaner and conditioner on the stools and, like a dummy, didn't pay attention to overspray. Of course, to my horror I saw all these weird looking drops all over two of the drawers. What did I do? My next mistake was grabbing a dry microfiber cloth to wipe up the spray (after I tried wiping it with a damp paper towel and the spots didn't go away). To my immediate relief, the spots went away... but then I realized I had actual scratches in the paint!!! It had only cured for about two weeks by this time. Fortunately, hubby was still in the process of painting other parts of the kitchen and he had some of the grey paint left over... so I had to lightly sand it down (just a scratch coat) and he was able to put another layer of paint on the fronts of the two drawers. That time I made SURE to let it cure for a month! LOL! The picture above that shows those drawers on my island were taken after that repair was made. ;)
    ...See More
  • loobab
    2 years ago

Now that is an interesting thought.

The wood is pretty and in excellent condition (the part we can see, unless your dog chewed up what we can't see or you splashed clorox all over another part.)

If you don't like your counters and your backsplash and you are going to replace them anyway, would you consider doing that and keeping your cabinets as is?

• M P
    Original Author
    2 years ago

The wood is in great shape, I just don’t like the color against the grays and blues we did throughout the rest of the house. I can get the cabinets painted for under $2k, and I’m going to whitewash the tile backsplash myself (there’s not a lot of it - the kitchen isn’t that big and is open to the main living space). We aren’t looking to renovate this room for a few years, just looking to update the colors a bit for now.

• loobab
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

The wood looks good!

Actually, so does the counter.

It reminds me of mica schist, and how it shimmers and flakes so nicely.

At least from what I remember when I went rock collecting with my brother more years ago than I care to say.

Well, your counter has lovely shades of shimmery gray that work perfectly with your wall paint.

What doesn't work is your backsplash.

Would you think about doing the backsplash (however you want to do them) first before painting the cabinets?

• M P
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Yes, definitely doing the backsplash first since that’s just a small area. I was hoping for a more modern look with a quick paint update, until we live in the house a while longer and decide what we really want for a kitchen redesign down the line (I’m only here a few months so far). If we paint the cabinets, I’d also plan to replace the hardware.

• Mary Elizabeth
    2 years ago

Your picture only shows one area of the kitchen. How many cabinets do you have?

The only way you will get a quality paint job for under $2K, is that you have a VERY small kitchen, or you're doing all the work yourself.

Have you gotten bids from a cabinet refinisher? What products will be used?

• loobab
    2 years ago

Please peruse online, there are lots of modern kitchens with cherry cabinets and your type of counters, too.

They do have different hardware not cup pulls, though, and not the curvaceous wood ornaments.

Although do check out if removing them will damage the cabinets.

Here are contemporary kitchens with cherry wood cabinets, the first three have shaker cabs like yours, the last is slab front.

• Cate
    2 years ago

• millworkman
    2 years ago

"I can get the cabinets painted for under $2k"

Be careful and be sure the proper prep work will be done as that is way to cheap for the correct job hired out.

• M P
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I have a painter I’ve used who is great, and does all the proper prep, so no concerns there. Here’s a better view of the kitchen looking toward the breakfast area. There’s not a ton of cabinets. I’m also getting new light fixtures - the red globes are horrible. I was also thinking of potentially having the island be a different shade than the wall cabinets, just a thought.

• User
    2 years ago

“Painters” should never touch cabinets. You want a *cabinet finisher*. You’re setting yourself up for major tears. Major regrets too. Peeling and chipping and painted hardware.

You need to read the Guides in this Group, that show DIYers how to get almost pro results. Realize that it takes a month for a homeowner to accomplish, and costs almost 2K in materials by the time you practice enough with a sprayer to get good at it. Pros are faster, use better tools, and get better results, with industrial wood coatings like Renner, Milesi, Ilva, Envirolak, Centurion, etc. . You can get the equivalent to better than a factory finish, in a refinish. With the right pro. Or you can get in home vandalism, where they don’t even remove the doors, or clean them. https://www.facebook.com/groups/PaintingKitchenCabinetsforProfit/

The cabinets are not the problem in that kitchen. Grays are over and out. Wood is back as being the most sought after fnish, and those are right in line with that look. Slapping a gawdawful 2K craptastic paint job on them would be criminal.

• dan1888
    2 years ago

It sounds like the paint quote is for interior trim paint done by a painter who does trim. That will look good for a short time. Then it'll chip and everything will look worse than current.

Benjamin Moore Advance or Cabinet Coat are products designed for cabinets. SW has urethane hybrid Emerald. It dries faster for recoat. A painter will want that for easier for him workflow. Two coats in one day. Advance takes longer to dry but dries harder and levels better for a better long-term product for you. Link to comparison. Don't choose a painter who wants to use Emerald. BM can match any SW color.

Color- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fU5ZUjQAkdA

Advance is a cabinet paint for a price point in refinishing cabinets. You can spend a lot more for a somewhat better finished product. Why do that here? If you want high gloss Fine Paints of Europe is in the same price range.

• User
    2 years ago

Advance is NOT a cabinet coating. It is a trim paint. It is an amateur’s choice. Any professional cabinet finisher should be using much higher quality, and more durable, materials than that.

• M P
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Ok so takeaways so far are to do more research on products to be used and decide if it’s worth it. The issue is that I do not like the cherry and want a brighter look.

• njmomma
    2 years ago

I would do it in steps. Backsplash first. Lights, second.

Sometimes, that will be all you need to brighten a room. If it is not enough for you, then take the next step.

• housegal200
    2 years ago

I'm in the same camp of others here in favor of current cabinets but a redo on countertops and backsplash. This kitchen reminds me of yours--same flooring, too.

Contemporary Kitchen · More Info

• herbflavor
    2 years ago

just be sure. you have a nice space ,,,, wall color/ countertop in lighter/ are things to re-invigorate the cherry. Cherry never goes out of style in my opinion and handles many revisions in the space very well. Good Luck. Note traditional/ modern/ transitional.

Joni Spear Interior Design · More Info

Larkspur remodel · More Info

Space for kids! · More Info

• Anna (6B/7A in MD)
    2 years ago

I would look at undercabinet lights and improving your lighting scheme in the kitchen overall. To me, it's the backsplash and the scrollwork on the cabinets that are an issue.

First, I would lose the backsplash.

Try to avoid making your kitchen and house look like everyone else's. I understand the pull of IG and HGTV.

Food for thought, light greys, sage greens and creams are recommended complementary colors to cherry.

I know someone who had her lovely wooden cabinets painted white and (god help me) is planning to install travertine tiles because she liked them when she first saw them 15 years ago. And since she doesn't look at design in general, she has no idea or interest in anything that might be a better option. Eek!

• Cate
    2 years ago

imho cherry cabinets are a hard colour to make look good with other finishes and you have a yellow floor red cabi ets yellow gold backsplash and grey walls with white trim so a lot going on and no unity, just paint them to anihilate that colour!

• littlebug zone 5 Missouri
    2 years ago

Agree with verbo. Gray is yesterday and your troubles blending the kitchen are stemming from the ”grays and blues we added throughout the house.” I guess you left the most expensive room for last?

Your cherrywood cabinets are beautiful and the dark countertop goes well with them. The backsplash doesn’t. If I had to have those cabinets painted, though, I’d go with white.

• kempek01
    2 years ago

Have you read this current thread about the person who wants to unpaint her cherry cabinets? : Houzz Link

From everything that I have read, your $2K paint job will be either terrible or the last time your painter paints cabinets (I am giving him/her the benefit of the doubt that she would do a good job for the quoted price even though he/she has terribly underestimated the work to be done).

I think you cabinets are beautiful and that you are right to pause on this process.

• mojavemaria
    2 years ago

Cherry is a beautiful wood with the right colors around it but your cabinets are definitely singing a different song than your walls. I don't think you need to feel guilty about painting them because they don't work with the look you want. Personally I love gray cabinets if they are on the warmer side.

You should make large samples of the possible colors to make sure you like the look with your countertops and walls. Making sure your painter is willing to do all the right prep and use the right paint is great advice.

• Connecticut Yankeeeee
    2 years ago

I think $2k is way, way too low to paint the amount of cabinets you have. I have probably less than half of yours and I was quoted $4-5k - 4 years ago. (This was not from my regular painter.) I think money is better spent towards changing granite (I have similar and understand how dark it is) and the backsplash. It’ll make a bigger difference.

• housegal200
    2 years ago

This is one of those Design Dilemmas where wall paint color chosen before any else now requires a big change on basic features or "givens" that came with the house, in this case cabinets. Sometimes it's flooring, wood trim, brick fireplace, etc. Because the OP chose gray/blue wall paint, cabinets need to be changed to "go with" wall paint. Fine, that's what the OP likes. But wall paint should be chosen last, not first.

I'd like to suggest to new homeowners who might be on a budget but who have "givens" they're not crazy about like wood cabinets, wood flooring color, wood trim, to hire a color consultant before moving in. In this case a color consultant would charge considerably less than-the $2000 this OP is going to pay for painting cabinets that are very attractive, though not to her. Choose furnishings and a palette for pillows, curtains, art also that harmonize with the "givens."

The results of this approach can be a home that looks and feels holistic, that flows, that's integrated, though maybe not the latest trendy color, i.e. gray right now. This approach can save a lot of money up front, result in a lovely home, until the new homeowners has lived there a long time and can make changes. It's different if the givens are in bad shape and would have to be changed to be liveable. But if basics like, flooring, trim, and cabinets are in great shape, it's a budget friendly idea to choose a palette that works with them instead of just going with the latest trendy paint color.

• Kendrah
    2 years ago

The key part that everyone is forgetting is the OP only needs these to last for a few years until a full kitchen remodel. Yes, for $2k it will probably be a pretty crappy job that won't last, but they don't need it to. They just are doing this as an intermediate step.

I think what will happen is you will paint the cabinets grey and then realize that the counters are what makes the space look so oppressive and dark, not the cherry cabinets. I be once you do the cabinet painting you will want to redo the entire space even sooner.

• Debbie Downer
    2 years ago

Elsewhere in this forum is a post from someone who is wanting to strip off the paint from the cherry cabinets they put on only a few short years ago. ... because of all the beautiful cherry kitchens they've been seeing lately. Re "change cabinets to go with blue/gray" no this is a false premise. Color schemes that mix up blues and or grays and wood tones are not only possible, but commonly done. The wood becomes in effect a contrasting accent color that livens up what would otherwise be a dreary expanse of gray, gray , and more gray. Due to the red tones in cherry youd want to look closely at the specific blues and grays though to be sure they all worked together in a synergistic kind of way.

• Debbie Downer
    2 years ago

"OP only needs these to last for a few years until a full kitchen remodel" All the more reason to leave them be, and paint kitchen walls instead to create more liveable color relationships. If you donate to Restore (a good idea, esp. if they are good quality) they will be worth more without a budget paint job on them.

• krdpm
    2 years ago

You have a lot of cabinets, really. Even hiring the painting out, it will be a disruptive mess. I have had both painted and wood cabinets, and the painted are significantly more work to keep clean.

You say that you may be considereing a full reno in the future? In that case, I would absolutely not paint those cabinets. You say they are in good shape, and they look great.

The backsplash to me is the biggest issue, and I don't think painting that tile will look good. It would still have the same texture and design. Why not get a few of those stick-on tile backspalsh pieces to experiment with, or some sample tile boards, and hold them up? I would spend money on making that a nice clean modern white backsplash, whatever it took.

I would *maybe* consider painting the cabinets on the island only.

Obviously, new lights, maybe repeat the stainless finish on the ceiling fan.

Try different hardware finishes, and maybe larger bar pulls. A cooler tone would tie in more.

In the close-up photo the countertop looks more cool, but in the big picture it reads more green and I don't love it with the nook wall color. Big bucks to replace countertop, but if I were willing to spend $2K, that's where it would go. (Although seems like a lot for a few years only... I would hold off probably.). What about painting the nook? Small area, way cheaper than painting cabinets!! Just a color adjustment so it is still consistent and flows with the rest of your house, but less clash with countertop/kitchen. Even just a good white.

Then rugs and accessories that kid of tie things together.

Also, I get how it might be kind of frustrating to post asking about paint colors and then get all this unsolicited advice in another direction, so I apologize! :) You have a nice kitchen and great space to work with. Good luck!

.....Just looked at pic and had another budget thought....In addition to above suggestions, maybe just replace island countertop with a clean white quartz. Would want to do similar edge profile to tie together.

• housegal200
    2 years ago

Sometimes the problem Design Dilemma can be solved in other ways than the OP might have thought of. Or other readers of similar Dilemmas can learn alternative ways to fix a problem. Often, the main problem isn't the one the OP is asking about. That's why Commentors sometimes chime in with advice like fixing layout first, then get a rug/table/whatever; swapping living room/dining room; or changing out countertop instead of painting cabinets, or changing wall color instead of cabinet finish; or even changing to better lightbulbs before doing anything else.

It's important for any OP to show well-lit photos from all four corners of a room and adjacent spaces. Many a Commentor has found extra storage or countertops by seeing a sideboard off in a corner of some other room.

• Cynthia Drury
    2 years ago

They look beautiful, it would be a shame to turn them into something drab IMHO the floor is clashing with everything however.

• Debbie Downer
    2 years ago

Since this is intended to be only a temporary fix, why not just do your same white on the walls thats everywhere else in the house (per your original post) and the whitewash of the back splash and call it a day. White + black + woodtones + metallic is a simple, easy, and very neutral combination for a kitchen That's what you stated your plan was in your original post, minus the painting of the cabinetry. If there's blue and gray elsewhere in the house thats fine, it doesnt have to be adjacent to the red-brown cabs. Switching the pulls to the bar type as seen in some of the posts above will give you all the updating you need.

• M P
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Wow, haven’t looked back at this in a few days. Thanks for all the feedback. Background info, we’ve only lived here for a few months. We have painted the whole house (very much needed), refinished the floors - and chose that color, and addressed some other things that had to get done. We wanted to live in it before doing any major renovation to see how we use the space and decide what we really want to invest in, as this will be our home for many years. Now back to the design dilemma…

The issue with painting just the kitchen, is that we have an open living space attached to it, so the Olympus White (gray) walls carry throughout the entire main part of the house (living room, foyer, kitchen, and hallways). The dining room off the other side of the kitchen is 2 shades down on the same paint palette (SW morning fog). We love the way those colors look in the space with the white trim, and we also love the floor color we chose.

We really had no intention of keeping cherry cabinets long term, since I just don’t care for the red tones at all. I do like the look of wood cabinets, but definitely want a different color entirely, and not sure it would be possible or worth it to refinish these in a different color. We will eventually do a larger kitchen remodel down the line, so I was looking for an easy cosmetic fix to make the space look more cohesive in the meantime. I was initially thinking white cabinets but wasn’t 100% sure about that either.

For now, we decided to try our hand at whitewashing the backsplash, since the beige is killing me (this whole house was beige and brown when we bought it). Next is to change the lighting. After that we’ll see what we have to work with and I’ll get some more quotes and ideas on the cabinets before taking the plunge.

Here’s pics of the dining room just to give a better idea of what’s on the other side of the kitchen, and the entry way adjacent to that so you can see the colors without the distractions in the kitchen.

• herbflavor
    2 years ago

moving away from the gloomy grays would be the best thing for your home. the cherry is perfectly appropriate. Your home is traditional. embellishing/furnishing each area will/and should be a project for a long time frame. Beautiful warm traditional rooms...no grays. At least Get an interior decorator so your grays dont turn the home into a funeral parlor .

Gibson Project 7 · More Info

Boerum Hill Townhouse · More Info

Dining Room Built-Ins with Cherry Cabinets and Countertops · More Info

St. Francisville modern classic · More Info

• Debbie Downer
    2 years ago

Those are beautiful Herb and I would add if someone likes grays these can be easily incorporated into a cohesive color scheme, using the 60-30-10 rule to determine proportions of ea. color. One of my favs is golds, grays + whites. Its the gray upon gray upon gray that starts to look a bit funereal. Monochromatic schemes can look good, but they need to make up for lack of color variation with a good mix of different lights and darks, tones, textures, etc. Dont see that in so many of these gray gray and more gray threads. In the case of OP Ive seen blue gray + red-orange + white done in an intentional way that looked great (Ikea used to have a lot of that in fabrics etc. not sure what they have now) Maybe just apply that color scheme to the kitchen and call it a day?

• herbflavor
    2 years ago

if desired.....GRAY... with some warmth: in kitchen with WOOD..in living spaces with warmer textiles/furnishings. GRAY needs care and restricted doses.

Kitchen Portfolio · More Info

solid cherry cabinets, marble subway tile backsplash, stainless steel appliances · More Info

Transitional Kitchen Remodel - Cheat Lake 2015 · More Info

Boswell Kitchen 1 · More Info

New Traditional Living Room · More Info

Modern Dining Room · More Info

Traditional Dining Room Refresh: Before & After · More Info

• M P
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Well just figured I’d share an update if anyone is interested. I whitewashed the backsplash, and it makes a huge difference. I still need to paint over the little red and yellow tiles over the stove (black like the others), and next I’ll change the light fixtures. Aside from that I’m holding off on the cabinets for now and will wait until we decide on a more long-term plan for the space. Thanks for taking a look!

• Anna (6B/7A in MD)
    2 years ago

Goodness, that's kind of impressive. Makes your cabinets look even better....damn.

So what did you use to whitewash the tile?

• M P
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks! And I agree - the cabinets look way better with the brighter white for sure! I used Heirloom Traditiona All-in-one paint in the color Cashmere. I made a 75% paint 25% water mix, and used an oval paint brush to get in the grout and give the tile a good coat, then a foam roller to make sure there were no streaks. I did it section by section and took my time, then went back with a tiny brush to do touch ups on the grout around the prep area where it was taped. I still have to seal it (even though the paint company says you don’t have to), but then I’m done!

• M P
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Heirloom Traditions* I meant.

• Debbie Downer
    2 years ago

Amazing how such a little thing makes a big difference! I like how the black dots relate to the counter top adding further to a more cohesive look.

• herbflavor
    2 years ago

your good work and patience was worth it. you could almost leave the colored squares considering the unique colored pendants. and I'm not trying to be cute...indeed, seriously.

• krdpm
    2 years ago

Love it!