SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dani_m08

Qs - converting wood burning see-thru FP to gas logs

dani_m08
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

FYI - I added a couple other ”topics” in order to see if I maybe someome would see it who has converted a wood burning fireplace to gas logs - just listing it under

”fireplaces” didn’t generate any comments! @everdebz - thanks for the ”bump!”

My SO really wants to convert our see thru wood burning fireplace between family room and study into gas logs. The biggest reason is because the glass doors have to be closed on both sides when burning wood - otherwise, smoke will come into rooms. The second reason is because of the convenience of using gas vs. wood.

I am now nervous about having gas logs installed after reading some

posts/comments on Houzz. There is conflicting information given about several things. I don’t think that it makes sense to convert it to gas logs if it is only for the convenience aspect. Also, I don’t really like the idea of spending a ton of money on high gas bills.

I am not overly concerned about the cost while using the gas logs - as I don’t think it will be used a ton. However, it does get cold where I live during the winter, and if having the damper permanently fixed open will cause a lot of passive heat loss = furnace running more = $$$, that doesn’t sound like a great idea (or if it will cause my a/c to run more during summer since it can get extremely hot during the summer).

FYI - we will not be doing this as a ”DIY” project - we will engage a professional from a local fireplace and outdoor BBQ specialty store to install the logs. My SO asked someone at the store about my question about the damper yesterday - the answer basically was that it was up to us. That doesn’t seem like a satisfactory answer to me! I’ve called back and asked to speak with someone who does actual installations - I’m waiting for a return call. I also just found out this morning that my SO has scheduled the install for TOMORROW!!??!?!

@Sammy- I read a post where you offered some advice on this issue re: having gas logs. When you had your gas logs, (i) did you have to operate it with glass doors shut, and/or (ii) was your damper permanently opened?

@petlovermarcie - I read your post from about three years ago - when you were considering converting your wood burning FP to gas logs. Did you go ahead with the conversion of your fireplace to gas logs? if yes, would you mind answering the above questions?

Anyone else who has information - please feel free to share. Thanks!

Old photos of the see thru fireplace (not at home currently) - both sides are being updated as part of the ongoing (never ending) renovations for my house.

Unfortunately, I have four fireplace to update - the two other ones are in my master bedroom and kitchen. My biggest issue will be convincing my SO that we should get rid of the brick one below!

Q - why does it seem like most men have an issue with (i) removing brick fireplaces, and (ii) painting stained wood???!!??!

Comments (6)