SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
segarner8

which is the most cost effective roof style???

Sarah S
2 years ago

Hi everyone! I’m really hopeful that I can get some help! My husband and I have been in the preliminary phase of building our house for the last six months. We originally wanted a hipped style roof. However, because of various reasons, one including building material inflation, we were recommended to go with a gabled roof. Which now I have come to like. The style of the home that we are building is traditional colonial and Cape Cod. We have had some poor luck with our architect. Recently the roof he designed would not allow for a gutter on the front elevation of the home which will lead to water and foundation problems. Not being a professional/being an amateur I noticed “This could be a problem” and then our builder/contractor confirmed my suspicions by bringing it to our attention. I’ve been working on ways to re-design our floor plan and roof style. I recently discovered I have a love of architecture, and home design.

again, because of building material inflation, we have went with a gabled roof. I am wanting to cut costs where I can so that I can maintain my square footage. I’m wanting to choose a rough style/plan that will save me the most money. My questions are the following:

1. Is it more cost effective i.e. cheaper, to construct your roof line as a cross cable or gabled roof with a reverse gable? See attached photo.

The pitch is 8:12, The deck is 10 foot wide, a house is 40‘8“. For a total girth of 50‘8“.

1. Is it more cost-effective i.e. cheaper to extend the trash service and roof line to cover a deck or use a shed roof over the deck to cover. See photo

Comments (10)