SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
emilymch

Bathroom vanity - Ikea Sektion cabinet hack - installed!

emilymch
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

I thought I would share the Sektion bathroom vanity hack that I came up with for our recently finished bathroom! Finished pic here:

Details:

- 2 36x24x30 Ikea Sektion base cabinets

- 36x14 medium Ikea Maximera drawers

- Classic walnut drawer fronts from Semihandmade

- walnut table legs - Wegner style, 16" but cut down a few inches.

- Duravit 2nd Floor undermount sink

- Duravit space saving siphon

- Rejuvenation boomerang pulls

I started with 2 36x 30x24" Sektion base cabinets, and cut 10" off the sides and back to make them them 20" tall.

Because the base cabinets have an open top, the only holes that have to be re-drilled are the holes for the metal mounting brackets.

The legs are attached with metal mounting plates to the bottom of the cabinets. The cabinets are also attached to the wall with the Ikea rail, so the legs are more supplemental support:

I chose the Duravit sinks because they are shallow and allowed for a useable top drawer in the cabinet. Here it is with the cabinet and countertop installed. You can see that the space saving siphon keeps all the plumbing to the back of the cabinet.

Here's a side view inside the cabinet. You can see the drawer glides on the sides - these drawers have plenty of storage and leave the back of the cabinet open for the plumbing.

I did have to do a bit of surgery on the backs of the drawer boxes, though! I could have had them push the sinks back further from the front edge, but decided that I'd rather alter the drawers than have the sinks back too far.

I used a jigsaw to cut a notch out of the metal back of the drawer. I could have done a neater job, but whatever! I should note - I have noticed NO effect at all to the structure of the drawer. It doesn't feel wobbly or any different, even though it seems like it should!

Kind of blurry, but this shows the clearance:

I was pleased to find that I'm able to use the full drawer for storage. The drawer closes easily even with that bin directly in the area where the notch is:

Hopefully this is useful to someone! I'm really pleased with how this came out - it was a very cost-effective way to get a functional, custom-looking vanity for a very reasonable price!

Comments (7)