SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ptpatrick

relocate 3rd upstairs bedroom to basement for a master bath

PJ
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Hello...so a slightly weird dilemma here. We are childless and live in an old home. it has 3 BR and 1 BA upstairs, no bath on the main, and 1 bath in the basement. We would love a master bath as the current upstairs bath is not an amazing set up...again, older houses, not to mention sharing when people visit.

all of our upstairs beds are nice sized, but an architect has proposed creating a master bath from the smallest of the 3 bedrooms. he would then adjust basement layout, add egress and hopefully make it nicer to create a 3rd guest bed down there. the pro there is that is becomes a sort of suite down there, albeit small, because you would walk through the bed room to get to that bath. its finished now but would get refinished in this renovation project as we are doing some other things with the media and laundry down there.

I would never remove a 3rd bed if I couldn't place it elsewhere and keep it legal as I know that's a resale issue. but in this case its just that we'd be moving it to a basement. we do plan to stay and its truly for us though so I am leaning toward doing it. one real estate agent thinks it would be a wash. and if we dig the basement to add head room and make it super nice it could even increase value quite a bit.

I will add, its rare in Denver to find a 3 bed on one floor in this size range (<2500 sqf). many of these older homes have 2 on the main and 1 or 2 in the basement. we are just a rare non bungalow where all the bed rooms are currently upstairs.

We are not exactly a "family neighborhood" though so the utility of trying to keep this a nice family house for resale may be non-existent in this day and age. Its a great hood but mostly retired or childless professionals as the homes just aren't that large enough on our block to accommodate today's families. I'm not sure we have a kid living on this entire block actually. Not to say it could never happen, but we bought it from the last family with children to vacate the block, because even with the 3 beds up it wasn't a great setup for them. I have also seen set ups in other homes we looked at in the past year that are similar...2/2's above ground and fetched some hefty prices...but those were mostly 2/2 up and then 1 on the main.

Which configuration would you prefer?

Comments (5)