SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_163894226

High humidity in two bedrooms that are exposed to exterior walls

abhish Ban
2 years ago

I recently bought a home San Jose, CA and started noticing execessive humidity when temperatures are really low and couple of days after rain (still I'm not sure because it has rained only once after we moved in). RH on hygrometer shows in between 80%-90%. There is no central HVAC installed and we are using ductless mini-splits. This is a flat roof construction built around ~1950, and hence there is no attic insulation, also one of the contractors noticied there is no wall insulation. We suspected few possibilities - roof leaks, plumbing leaks and window leaks. We had roof repair just after we moved-in and replaced all the perimeters of the roof and contractor confirmed it should be fine for couple of years and didn't notice any visible leaks, so ruled out roof leaks, For plumbing, we did meter test and found no leaks. Regarding window leaks, there are no visible leaks and moreover if there is minor crack, it shouldn't be this worse. So, I'm clueless of whom to contact in this case, called in water damage restoration person, he used his thermal camera and said there is moisture in dry wall (and this wall is on the perimeter of the house, and our exterior walls are stucco). Due to condensation, the whole floor seems somewhat misty and currently running a portable humidifier, to minimize the effect. The other thing, we noticed is, the ground adjoining this perimeter is not perfectly gradient and I'm not sure if the moisture from ground could crawl up the exterior stucco and then dry wall. Any suggesion is really helpful or please recommend which technician to contact. I'm more willing to find the root cause and then involve damage resstoration folks. Many thanks!

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz