SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shadara_gw

Want Low Light, High to Low Humidity Plant?

shadara
15 years ago

I've moved into my mother's basement apartment and wanting a plant for my bedroom. With walk out basement, we have full windows in livingroom and bedroom, but it is strictly indirect light for half a day, from under the deck above. We already have a Sansevieria doing well in the livingroom so far, but I wanted something a little more "flashy" in my bedroom.

The miniature rose my mother got me for Valentine's Day shriveled up from how dry it was in my room (we did rescue it, and she now has it back in her care upstairs/outside). And my plant stand sits alone and empty.

Problem is... During the winter, the temp sits at about 68F with only 15% relative humidity (due to electric, ceramic heater). In the summer, the humidity gets much higher with a max temp of 75F.

Aside from the hearty foliage type plants (like Sansevieria, Pothos, or Spaths) is there a colorful plant (either blooms or foliage) that would tolerate these conditions year round? I just want something other than just "green" in my room. Even though "Green is Good", LOL.

Is there such a plant that could survive the dark and arid winters in my room?

Thanks a bunch for your input in advance!

Comments (8)