SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
zebedest

Paint colors for entry, stairs, upstairs hall

zebedest
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Hello there!

We recently moved from living 18 years in a new build to a house built in 1968. And I have to wrap my head around decorating it.

Not to go into detail, but I have had a very hard time adjusting and have had significant buyer’s remorse (threads on here have been helpful!). At this point I am trying to move forward and start making it ours.

my first priority was painting the kitchen but I realize upstairs hall is the most depressing. White, dirty, dinged walls. My questions are:

Should upstairs hall be same color as stairway and donwstairs entry/hall? that is currently green. I neither love nor hate it.

If same color (or different), any suggestions? I am including photos (paint need not complement dog color ha), specifically to show the entry flooring (slate?). My husband calls it our Flintstone floor. We do like it. Last house was revere pewter and I think I am over gray (live in Michigan, it is cold).

Kitchen will get painted shoji white at some point.

living room (off entry) is currently a creamish/yellow and will update at some point.

carpet will be replaced (with carpet, sorry I know not popular) and hallway light fixtures too. Want something that won’t look dated. Don’t like bare bulbs.

sorry for length and for

the not very good photos - looking for paint color suggestions if anyone is still reading

Comments (13)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    2 years ago

IMO paint color is the last choice you make . You mention the kitchen what exactly were you planning on painting in there ? I always wait in a new to me home before doing much I like to see how the house functions that will tell me if any big renovations are in my future . I for sure want the kitchen to function for how I cook before doing much else. I know thurge to make it yours but really think before choosing paint color . The flooring and in your case the carpet need to be chosen before wall color. . IMO the flooring in the kitchen in no way works with the entry floor so I guess how much money are you planning to spend will aslo be info we need.My advice always is to work on the lighting it IMO should all be LED 4000K that mimics daylight and makes spaces feel better and also keeps colors true at all times of the day.

zebedest thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • zebedest
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you. When we first 'got' the house, we thought we'd get the kitchen done on priority. However, we are realizing that it's not in our budget to do that yet (ever?) for various reasons. So I thought at the least I can paint. If we're not planning on doing any major renovations for years, I am thinking why not at least have some new paint and can always repaint if/when we do the other updates?

The kitchen floor is awful, I really loathe it - but similarly, have been advised not to update the floor until we know what we're doing overall with the kitchen. It's become chicken/egg. Another suggestion was to replace with some alternative inexpensive laminate (like what's there now, not LVP) to tide us over until we do a bigger renovation, but also we are spending so much in general, I'm not sure if that's the right approach either.

I have no aspirations to be in a magazine of beautiful houses, I'm not overly concerned with it being perfect, but I do want some fresh paint and some things that make it feel more like ours.

We recently switched out the main kitchen light from fluorescent box to flush fixture, though it's one with bare bulbs and I don't like it, so we have another switch this weekend. I have 100w LED bulbs for it (3 bulbs), but not the daylight ones. They always feel too 'hospital' to me. I also have dimmers. I like cozy (clearly in a kitchen, lighting is important though).

I do love getting people's thoughts and suggestions on this as I'm not good at it, and this community has a lot of great ideas, so thank you!

p.s. I realize the photos don't really give a great representation of the actual color - the green is more like the photo at the bottom of the stairs - quite light. The living room in this photo makes it look the same color as the hall, but it is more of a yellow/beige.

• Related Discussions

Upstairs hall table or bench? Ideas please

Q

Comments (33)
    I love art on stair ways and landings, it creates curiosity and a sense of mystery about what is unseen in the rest of the home. Original art is compelling and to my thinking well worth the investment, so I think an oil painting would be great in that spot. With art the best way is to buy what "speaks" to you so if you are uncertain and close to a city with an art museum they often have lend/lease programs where for a relatively small fee you can select an original piece to hang for a month or so. These are not pieces from their collection, but from (usually) local artists. If you like the piece the option to buy is available. It gives you a chance to see what you enjoy. From there you can look to similar prints, if that's what the budget allows, or seek out artists at city art walks, open studio days, or even local art schools. Some savvy interior decorators I know even find great stuff at thrift stores. If you decide to go with a mirror and chest, then adding a beautiful lamp and a large vase with fresh flowers, to reflect in the glass, would be lovely as well.
    ...See More

I would like some ideas for paint colours for my entry, hall and door

Q

Comments (9)
    houssaon, yes she is a mix of an art deco and Mediterranean style house with almost everything in it original to 1938. She is a beautiful home with character. While none of the features of this house would be anything i would have personally chosen for my self if i had a blank canvass, I am keeping her in her original glory for as long as I can. I like your suggestions. Thank you.
    ...See More

foyer and upstairs hallway help

Q

Comments (1)
    it's a lot. If you are not going to paint, I would start with the flooring. if you are not going to match the hardwood, I'd choose a tile you love to compliment the hardwood throughout the home. The floor will set the tone for the rest of the decor, one thing depends on the other...
    ...See More

I need advice on what color to do my stairs/upstairs hallway.

Q

Comments (3)
    I see you’re not getting much response here so I’ll jump in. I feel that the gray/black vinyl floor trend is out of favor now, but obviously since you already have it (and like it) you should choose something to blend with those colors. Is there another option you might consider, besides more vinyl plank? A deep gray carpet maybe?
    ...See More
  • apple_pie_order
    2 years ago

If you are getting new carpet soon, wait until you get it to pick the wall colors. However, if it is aways off, go ahead and prime the hallway with white primer and change the lighting there. Then try the Shoji White you picked for the kitchen on the hallway. You can sample other classic whites there, too. Use "bright white" bulbs, not "daylight" or "soft white".

zebedest thanked apple_pie_order
  • P Banos
    2 years ago

Post some more photos of the house, including the kitchen and baths. Kitchen and bath updates can become very expensive. But if everything is in good physical condition you may be able to make some inexpensive diy changes that will make you happier. For example, new hardware, new faucets, painting walls, framing mirrors, new light fixtures. You may discover you can make less expensive updates and still be able to afford new flooring.

As far as hallway paint, I think at least the foyer, stairs and upstairs hall should all be the same. I'd suggest a light color that works well with the carpet. I'd stay away from cool and grey colors. Off whites are always a good starting place. The ceiling in the hall almost looks glossy - I much prefer flat paint on walls and especially ceilings.

The light fixture in the upstairs hall could use an update. It's not a difficult DIY.

Doorknobs are also an easy update. I went from 'builder grade' hollow brass with little round rosettes to an Emtek lever with a rectangular backplate. It made such a difference! Choosing an antique brass finish allowed keeping the existing hinges.

• Anna (6B/7A in MD)
    2 years ago

I think the easiest way to make a home begin to feel yours (especially when cost is a factor) is via paint, changing the light fixtures and weirdly enough, the light switch plates.

I bet that slate is great for those snowy, icy days.

You know, I really like berber carpet. My husband convinced me 15 years ago that we should NOT get it but I think this next time around, I'm going with berber. I love the way it looks and feels (we have carpet in the basement). I understand carpet would be very welcome in your cold climate but light-colored carpet would need good maintenance!

If you are okay with repainting if needed, maybe paint it all one color. The trim and doors can be the same color with a different sheen.

Are you looking for white or did you want COLOR on the walls? Furniture, rugs, all of that plays a role in the color you pick.

• zebedest
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you, thank you!! I will post some more photos later.

Yes, exactly I'm trying to do some of the smaller items. We're replacing the kitchen faucet this weekend and some light fixtures.

For the upstairs hallway, I already bought fixtures but again I'm not sure if they're the best - they are the drum kind (I got flush and semi flush to compare).

We are also absolutely replacing outlets/covers - we did one in the kitchen so far when we installed the light fixture and it's amazing how much better it looks. And when I say 'we', I mean our friend because we are useless at this!

For the kitchen, I'd love hardwood (we had it in our last house) - I just really always liked how it felt. However, of course again cost + we have a dog who was not kind on the last one so we'll see. I have to balance my anxiety over spending money with what's really important - I won't do this as quickly as I first envisioned.

We were considering replacing all the doors upstairs (they previous owners recently redid one bathroom there and so it has a different door already).

As far as paint color, I've typically always had 'color' but I'm open. If I'm doing the kitchen shoji white, I would probably prefer something a little more colorful elsewhere so the house doesn't look like one big off white place. I'm not skilled enough to make things pop with furnishings and etc...(plus don't want to have to buy more).

At some point I will repaint all the bedrooms too, but down the line. One bedroom is currently named the Pepto Bismol room for its shade of paint. I try not to go in there :)

• bluemarble
    2 years ago

If anyone is still reading LOL. I feel ya, we were in a similar boat many years ago. Thought we would tackle the kitchen first, but that didn't happen until 15 years after we moved in. Flooring and raising three kids took priority! You will have to find the right balance for carpeting with affordability, durability, pet friendly, etc. for high traffic areas.

BM Classic Gray is a soft, neutral and versatile color. I like the look of your slate flooring with dark painted trim instead of stark white, but painting it the same as the wall would be lovely as well. I would paint the entry, stairwell and upstairs hall in the same color. Investing in paint samples is super helpful, because you really need to see the colors in your lighting. As previously stated, getting your lighting set first is key to enjoying your paint color selection. What direction does your entry face?

zebedest thanked bluemarble
  • kandrewspa
    2 years ago

I think Shoji White would be a good choice to eradicate the green which is awful. They clearly were trying to match the slate in the foyer, which they did, but it's just too dark. If you already know you like it, give it a try at least. I totally sympathize with your desire to do something, anything, to change and improve the feeling of the house, and a light color will do that. I lived in Michigan nine years myself and I know there are a lot of overcast days. :-)

zebedest thanked kandrewspa
  • Cynthia
    2 years ago

@zebedest I've seen at least one of your other threads on this house. If you don't mind me asking (and I apologize if I missed it in the other comments) why did you purchase this home? Please don't take this as any criticism or judgement. I'm just genuinely curious because you keep saying buyers remorse and you just seem so frustrated - I feel sorry for you! I know this house seems like a lot of work and it would overwhelm me too. Best of luck!

PS- your dog is adorable!!

zebedest thanked Cynthia
  • zebedest
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you for the suggestions and mock up - it is helpful!

Cynthia - you must have seen the only other post I’ve ever made on here :) and actually buried somewhere in the post I gave some

background on the purchase. Mainly I struggle with change and we were at our last place for 18 years so had a lot of memories. This house is very different and it all happened so fast that it’s caused me to find it even more difficult. I am really trying though and each day is a new day :) Thank you for your gentle way of asking, I know I must sound crazy.

Dog is cute (thanks!) - a handful too, so it is a good thing he’s cute. I say we bought the house for him so he has room to run (8 acres omg) and I am only partially kidding haha

- the house faces west

• zebedest
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Kandrewspa - I am wondering if I have shoji white in the upstairs hall, stairs, entry and kitchen whether that will be a bit too bland? I have the paint as I was going to start the kitchen and still have my sticky paint sample of it on my kitchen wall - just not sure if having it in so many places would work or not.

• Connie Stackhouse
    2 years ago

I would wait a while and live in the house to see what your priorities are. Assuming that budget is always a consideration, come up with a whole house plan/color scheme, and then tackle it in stages in order of priorities. . Choose a neutral wall color and flooring that can flow from room to room and complement your furnishings. i agree that the foyer and kitchen floors do not work well together.; they do not have to be exactly the same (although that would be preferable,) but they need to be complementary. above all, DO NOT mix real hardwood and fake on the same floor. Good luck!

zebedest thanked Connie Stackhouse