SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
susan_iwertz

70's Ranch Renovation Questions: Remove Walls & Peninsula? Island?

2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Our 70's style Ranch needs lightening and brightening. We can add hat lights, but there isn't anywhere we could add any windows. I am planning on changing the kitchen cabinets to white, shaker style, removing the peninsula, and possibly adding an island. There is also a very dated built-in buffet that I plan on removing. The wall behind it is load bearing, but not too long, so I think we could add a beam for support. If we are able to remove it, the formal dining room would be open to the kitchen and the family room.

If I do that, I am uncertain about how to use the space. Cabinets with pull out desk? A chair with foot stool and side lamp for reading? We do have a pub table with Barley Twist Legs which is currently being stored at a friends house. The expanding table could come in handy when the family comes over.

New Question: If I add an island to the kitchen, will it look strange to have it in the center going perpendicular to the current peninsula? The house is already longer than wide...will it just emphasis that? I also worry that I will hate having to walk around it after having such an open kitchen. Perhaps I should remove the peninsula and live without an island for a while to see how I like that. Hmmm, decisions!

Other reno plans include:

Removing pony wall, and wall above it.

Either scraping popcorn ceiling, or covering it with wood look vinyl.

Replace Flooring with really light wood.

Move rolling canned goods to laundry room (behind the door in picture 3)

Putting my mother's china back in a cupboard. Pretty sure they are from the 70's as well!

*The hideous black curtain is to provide some privacy to some family members who are staying in the front room for a couple more months.

So, here are some photos:

Some photos from before we moved in:

Front Room:

Front Room from entryway:

Family room: (Plan to Paint Cabinets and fireplace)

Comments (23)