SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mlusk724

Living and Dining Room both Van Deusen Blue??

Meghan Lusk
2 years ago

Hi all - We are in the process of renovating our house before moving in. I am in the thick of paint selection, and can't seem to find any good guidance online about how to paint rooms on either side of a center hall foyer. I would like to paint the dining room Van Deusen Blue, and I think it will work well since there's wainscoting halfway up the wall and the wall facing the front of the house is mostly windows. I have two head of table dining chairs with a blue plaid that I would like to re-use, and VD Blue plays nicely with those colors. The rest of the chairs are white. Light fixture and curtain rod will be an antiqued brass.

For the "formal" living room on the other side of the foyer, I am struggling. This room is north facing, with a huge bay window, but does not get much light throughout the day. Every warm white or cream that I put up just looks dingy, especially in the corners. At night, it's even worse. So I have been considering using VD Blue in here again, to give it a jewel box look. Overhead light fixture will be antiqued brass. Between the french doors, heavy-ish crown molding, and plantation shutters on the bay window, I think I have enough white to make this work. And hoping that it will give me that cozy library feel.

However, here is my question. Can I use the same color (a very bold color, at that!) on two rooms on either side of the foyer? When you walk in the front door, you can see both rooms. If it helps, all trim will be Simply White. The "overall" house color (foyer, family room, kitchen, halls, etc) will be BM Silver Satin.

Attaching some pics to help visualize, looking forward to hearing thoughts! Thanks in advance :)

Comments (5)