SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dinichillibeanie

Kitchen remodel: Galley or "Open Concept"?

Dina
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Hi again, and Happy New Year! My BIL (who flips condos) suggests I make this an "open concept" kitchen. Is that a trendy style that will be outdated in a few years, or is it a design that's here to stay? What are the pros and cons?

The photos show the side view of the old galley kitchen. (All the furniture is from the real estate staging.) The kitchen is accessed from the dining area on one end and the hallway on the other end. The stove is on the wall separating the kitchen from the living room. If I do an open kitchen, I'd remove the wall and install a large island with the stove built in and a hood vent. It would be the first thing you see when coming in the front door. Is that a good thing??

Thank you in advance for your comments. (PS yes the linoleum and old laminate flooring will be replaced, probably with vinyl throughout the whole house but I'm open to suggestions...)

There are two large pantries at the far end. I'm thinking of moving the fridge to the right of the sink (although I'd lose the open shelves in the corner).

In place of the fridge I'd add more counter space in an L shape to the left of the dishwasher.

If I remove the wall that separates the kitchen from the living room I'd lose a broom closet but I could convert one of the pantries into a broom/cleaning closet...

Here's the view from the front door; the kitchen would be prominent as soon as you walk in:

I sketched what it would look like if an open kitchen is the first thing you see when you walk in the front door.

Also sketched the current floor plan to the best of my ability. Currently when you walk in you see the living room on the left, the dining in the far left corner, and the wall of the kitchen. I thought it would be a great place to feature artwork. My BIL suggested removing the wall and opening the kitchen. He thinks it's would have better resale value, more modern.

Here's the current floor plan with floor-to-ceiling/ upper and lower cabinets for the cooking area:

Here (below) is the proposed open concept kitchen. This is what you'd see when walking in the front door:

Comments (12)