Houzz Logo Print
rosecanadian

2022 Seasonal Thread Winter

rosecanadian
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Hey everybody!! Happy New Year!!!

My version of the iconic Celtic prayer:

May your roses rise up to greet you. May the wind be gentle on your back. May the sun shine warm upon your garden; the rains fall softly upon your roses and may God hold you in the palm of His hand.

Love to you all

Comments (1.2K)

• KittyNYz6
    2 years ago

Carol, Thank you for your response. Your terrier was really smart! Wow, he started looking when you pulled out the treat-tgat’s funny-Oops-counterproductive! Oh, well, funny, I tried! 🤪 It worked w/Anastasia, but had to be a really mouth watering treat! Super Dorothy & Nehema are favs bit I have so much…. I may just put on wish list.

rosecanadian thanked KittyNYz6
  • rosecanadian
    Original Author
    2 years ago

You're right...it make work for Teddy...he's not very clever. LOL :) :)

• Related Discussions

Winter Madness, "seasonal thread" Part 3

Q

Comments (155)
    Jim, I'm glad to read that about warmer days coming. That's what it looked like on the rundown of weather predictions in US cities. Here, it is warmish, but will actually be a little colder for the next day or two. Nothing awful, but not springlike. It's still wet for here. This is good because I'm not tempted to do "just a little" cleanup, plus I'm exhausted. No matter how much sleep I get, I'm exhausted. I'm not used to this feeling. Oh, yes, swearing is a hobby of mine. Heh. Thanks, Sheila. I appreciate your interest in my blow by blow sleep problems. How is your husband doing? Well and on the mend, I hope. I know your spring like temps are ahead of us, and I'm sure that bit of snow did no harm. Flowers, you have probably heard that 23 people died (so far) in the little Alabama town struck by the tornado. That's a terrible toll for such a small place--or any place. It's the worst tornado death toll since 2013. Where's Dianela??? I'm sure the town is well south of her, though......It sounds like you are getting into the spring mood with your winter sowing. I throw out gathered poppy seed and hollyhock seed in March if possible. I ordered my other seed just after Christmas. I think I'll use last year's leftover basil seed, since I usually have virtually 100 % germination on new basil seed. I'll just sow the year old stuff heavily. How are your temps doing? Not too bad, I hope. Kristine, thanks for reminding me about the time change. I'm in Never-Neverland right now, and not paying attention very well. Diane
    ...See More

WINTER is here! Seasonal thread part 2

Q

Comments (142)
    Diane, your Augusta Luise is so beautiful! Sure enjoy seeing those pictures. We had probably not more than about two inches of snow. It started Friday night into early yesterday morning. It never got above freezing yesterday, but began rapidly warming up today, the snow has already disappeared. We’re supposed to have mild weather for the next few days. Sometimes I think a big snow that would hang around for awhile would be beneficial, that’s very rare here, I’m not used to it. Thank you, I appreciate those kind words about my roses. I had almost the exact varieties of roses I wanted in the big bed and they did pretty good through about 2015, then a few of them started growing backwards, so I keep replacing them. Most of the ones planted along the front of my house seem to be hanging in there. The roses shown are less than half of the roses I have. Here‘s one that I hope gets with it next year. I’ve seen pictures of this one in full bloom that look so gorgeous! CRAZY LOVE
    ...See More

WINTER is here! Seasonal thread part 3

Q

Comments (219)
    Vertigo finally better today. I did try the Epley maneuver I don't think that I did it long enough this time because it usually works. Deborah, your Hot Cocoa sounds beautiful. I have a friend that absolutely loves that rose ,maybe time to branch out with my colors If anyone of you areare lawyers please don't take offence but good grief! I was just going to go pick up a packet of divorce papers, submit and done Well, the other couple decided to seek out a lawyer. Now we might need a civil lawyer because this could impact social security home loans . Seriously??? Sounds like they are trying to make this in to a huge deal. Come on people, let's get the packet and be done . This is sounding expensive Now back to our previous happy rose discuss . I think that I should call Regans and make sure that my delivery is in February so I can get as much planted as possible before my mid March surgery. I can't believe that I am so close to planting season again
    ...See More

WINTER is here! Seasonal thread part 7

Q

Comments (125)
    I love your photos, sultry, and that one of the live oaks is spoooky. Do ghost froggies live in the scary forest? What different climates we both live in. I can't grow any of the things you just talked about. I would love some bananas for Nana, please. But I'm glad I don't have to dig out those pink jasmine roots. Sara Ann, your Kathleen Harrop is gorgeous. I need to look it up. Oddly it reminds me of Olivia Rose Austin. Do you grow OLA? Jim, I love all those pet photos, especially the ones featuring the feral cat lounging in its comfortable living room. Love the cat/dog food sharing. Your pets get along so well. Right now, the coyotes are hunting in the gully in back, and we haven't been able to let our kitties out even for short supervised times. Finn is the scourge of voles, and I'd like him to be doing the hunting, though I expect that the yotes are a scourge on voles, too. Not very long ago, the neighbors lost their wonderful old cat to yotes. The neighbors were a little lax about letting him out too close to dark--they are from Hawaii originally, and are not totally used to our predators. I felt so badly for them.....I see we must move on to the new thread. Thanks for your loyalty, in keeping these threads going. I hope all is well for you as you continue to forge ahead. Diane
    ...See More
  • KittyNYz6
    2 years ago

Ha, Ha, Teddy! Try liver or a fabulous treat! That is what trainers used. I use hot dogs.

Enjoy!

And I love the idea that your snow is just ”cold rain,” & spring will be here in no time.

• Diane Brakefield
    2 years ago

Trish, just now seeing your post from several days ago (finally getting notifications on these oldies), plus some others' posts. That was pretty interesting what the Polish guy said about Russian equipment. I'm reading similar stuff on my favorite political website. I didn't realize so many of you had read On the Beach in high school. I've never read the book, it was the movie that was a shocker. But even before that, I was a believer in a coming nuclear holocaust. I was reading and watching the news in grade school. If you have the time, read Jessica Mitford's Hons and Rebels. I hope the rain stays away for you, but we still haven't had any. It's cold here, too, and I'm not getting anything done. I hope you're feeling better. Diane

rosecanadian thanked Diane Brakefield
  • Mischievous Magpie (CO 5b)
    2 years ago

@rosecanadian Hmm, seems lots of posts from the last few days are only showing up for me now. I understand your desire to keep taking Teddy out, it's not an easy decision either way but no matter what I am always wishing you the best and I'm here to listen and talk if you need it. Good luck!

rosecanadian thanked Mischievous Magpie (CO 5b)
  • DDinSB (Z10b Coastal CA)
    2 years ago

Thanks all for your pronunciation guides! The only problem with the emphasis on the first syllable is that it sounds like a sexually transmitted disease... Diane -- I did learn how to say huechera -- but I can't fathom Nepeta with emphasis on first syllable. I say NuhPEETEuh. Do you say NEPuhtu? I don't know what Brunnera is, but I'd probably say BrooNERuh.

@Mischievous Magpie (CO 5b) - I can't wait to see what your arch looks like in a few months! This will be gorgeous. Is that a neighbor's yard on the other side of your fence, or more of your yard? And is that a little bird house? Re your advice to Carol re dogs - I'm so glad you found a way to keep everyone safe AND keep the dog. These days I think most people would either behave foolishly or just get rid of the dog. :-( My dog thinks he has to guard me from my husband. So if my husband hugs me in the presence of the dog, he starts racing around and whining nervously, which makes my husband very upset. I think both of them are over-reacting. I've tried having husband hug me and I tell dog to sit quietly, and if he does, I give him a treat. Same thing with vacuum cleaner. But if I don't have a treat in my hand, he still gets stupid. Sigh. Thankfully, my dog is only 25 pounds, so his anxiety doesn't really endanger anyone. He likes my husband just fine when I'm not home...

@rosecanadian - we got a tiny bit of rain on Saturday -- sprinkled enough to wet the pavement and give me about 3 inches in my rain barrel, but not enough to really soak the plants, and no water in my rain gauge -- not even a drop.

@Diane Brakefield - thanks for the book recommendations. Probably summer. A friend gave me Nice Dragons Finish First (?) I think. Sounds "light" enough to enjoy when I'm too stressed! But I think I won't start anymore fiction until semester ends. Yes -- the drought. Ugh. When we first moved to my house in Santa Barbara (1999) we had some very wet winters and then dry summers/fall. But every year the rains seem to get more scarce, the wind a lot worse. I'm not sure how I'll keep things watered. I forgot when I planted new roses that I had a new washing machine that wont' give me all the graywater I had before...and of course I thought I'd fill my rain barrels at least one more time...still holding out hope for that. Probably will have to stop showering so I can use that water! I do like sedum voodoo -- I think that would look pretty under roses...I think I read the American Way of Death (or excerpts of it) in grad school...or maybe an ethnographer also did something on the funeral industry. It was fascinating.

Wow @KittyNYz6 - dating! That's something I haven't had to do in so very long. I wouldn't know how to go about it. I'm impressed with your bravery! Let us know if you want us to host a Dating Game for you. I'll provide the wacky music, and I'm sure @rosecanadian and @Diane Brakefield could provide some risque questions... ;-)

@Kristine LeGault 8a pnw - she's adorable! How wonderful she's getting to the "fun" age. How soon until she can help you prune roses? ;-)

Just pruned my climbing High Hopes on Saturday, and hoping to get some lovely laterals. I waited a long time this year because it did a big bloom in January, so I waited for that to end. I went kind of hard core on anything that wasn't a main cane I was training. Last year was the first year I tried to "train" the rose at all (and it's been in the ground 20 years). It looked lovely last year. So I was more confident this time around...

I have no idea what happened to upset some of our community members -- I guess I'm glad I don't -- but I wouldn't want anyone to leave. Disagreement is normal and natural. Being mean is not helpful. I hope none of us have been mean to each other??

Okay. I guess time to go to the other thread. Thanks, Carol, for starting a new one! Maybe I can keep up with that one!

rosecanadian thanked DDinSB (Z10b Coastal CA)
  • Diane Brakefield
    2 years ago

Trish, your post has disappeared again. i was just going to check on some of those things the Polish man told you, and Shazam! You're gone again (just the one post). Houzz hates Australia.

Deborah, I have some time right now, and I want to comment on your post above before it disappears, too. I originally pronounced nepeta as you have been doing. So don't feel bad. Brunnera (below) is also known as false forget me not, heartleaf, and Siberian Bugloss (what is that??). My Brunnera plants are antique, passalong, and I love them and have passed its offspring along to others. There are new hybrids out like Jack Frost and others that are similar. As the season progresses, the leaves grow larger into giant heart shapes. Mentally, I still say

Bruh NAIR a, but that is incorrect. I like light books mixed with the heavy or serious. I love them all. Try reading, Devil in the White City. It's a blast to read, non fiction, but fairly heavy. Reading all this stuff about dogs misbehaving, I've come to the conclusion that you all need female dogs. The male dogs are possessive male chauvinists. I won't say more--ha. I have not heard of High Hopes, so now I must look it up. I hope the report I read on our droughts is way off, but I don't think it is. Good luck with your watering. I'm feeling guilty growing roses, even though my collection is not as large as most. Diane

• Diane Brakefield
    2 years ago

Brunnera

2 years ago

Oh that's gorgeous. Thanks, Diane! Supposedly male dogs are more affectionate, though. I don't know, as I've only had 3 dogs -- 1) Danny Boy - my lab/samoyed mix in high school (and had to give him up far too soon -- broke my teenager's heart); 2) then Traveler, my first Sheltie/Shetland Sheepdog (a blue merle - gone far too soon of cancer @ 7); and now 3) Summer Nights (or SumSum or BooBoo or Weirdo Galleerdo or DoodleBug or Goober Boy or Silly Pants or Sneezy McSneezy or Grunter McGrunty or....). All three males, all three total loves. All three very good dogs. Except Summer's need to keep my husband from kissing/hugging me! :-/

2 years ago

@Diane Brakefield Our passed away problem pooch was a female 🙃 You just never know what you're gonna get with a pet, especially a rescue.

2 years ago

@DDinSB (Z10b Coastal CA) I had an Australian Shepherd, my first dog, that did not like my husband hugging me either. And the day we brought our first baby home I walked into my bedroom with baby, my dog (Mojo) followed, sat in the doorway, and growled at my husband to prevent him from following me in. My husband didn't like that but I thought it was sweet. Mojo got over that part quickly but never really got over his dislike of my hubby hugging me. It just made him anxious. He was a ball of anxiety since puppyhood, my current dog Noelle is much calmer. I've posted pictures of Noelle before but here's one more just cause:

• KittyNYz6
    2 years ago

Deborah, ha, ha! Yes, a dating game! Risky questions, great! Thank you! Waiting for votes from you all? Do you vote for the:

1. Gentleman chemist-cook-rose gardener

or

2. Gentleman Financial adocate/art enthusiast?

Ha, Ha, ha!!!!!!!!!

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    2 years ago

I would go with which ever man treated you the best.

rosecanadian thanked Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
  • KittyNYz6
    2 years ago

Thank you, Sheila! Need to date them first, he, he! We will see. That’s really true. Interests may seem inportant at first but in the end , can you flourish and feel you can be your best self w/support from them. Do they treat you well? The real question. How lovely!

2 years ago

Kitty - I like your idea to date them both -- which gives you time to find out who treats you well (agree with @Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR there), and who you really ENJOY being with, and who seems to both challenge and comfort and "get" you -- and can get along well with the other people you love best in life. The financial guy might give you the money you need to support your rose habit. :-)

Magpie - what a gorgeous dog in a gorgeous setting in a gorgeous photo!!! :-)

2 years ago

Just realized I've said gorgeous way too much today. Need a new vocabulary.

2 years ago

@DDinSB (Z10b Coastal CA) Oops, forgot to answer: the area beyond the solid wooden fence is a neighbor's yard. Beyond the fence that you can see through is what we call "the green space" which is really just the area where street water runoff drains into. A million weeds grow happily undisturbed there, and their seeds blow right into my yard lol. But still, I'm glad its there, I prefer weeds to more neighbor's. Plus, milkweed also grows there and so each summer I get to see the monarchs dance around the flowers.

• rosecanadian
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Magpie - thanks for your sweet support! :) :) A ball of anxiety since puppyhood. What a shame. But your Noelle is a lovely, lovely girl! What a relief to get a calm/relaxed dog.

Deborah - LOL sexually transmitted disease...I never thought of that. :) That's so true about what we can accept from a little dog versus a 100 lb dog. BIG difference. LOL I wonder if your dog thinks that he's your partner...husband doesn't belong. Thankfully he just whines and gets a bit wonky...that's not too bad. Here's a funny solution...not sure if it would work...but you could feed your husband little tidbits in front of the dog and tell your husband what a good boy he is while you're ignoring the dog (not even reprimands...total ignoring). I bed that after a while this may work. Especially if you stop giving your dog very much affection. :) :) Well...that's not enough rain! That's just cloud spit. :) Dang. Oh my goodness...I let out a bray of laughter!!! Diane and I will (you know we will) provide the risque questions. LOL Female dogs are very "I rule the roost..you puny males will adore me." in my opinion. :) :) Yes, dog lives are too short. I bet your blue merle was gorgeous!! Seven is way too young. I bet that part of SumSum's (stunning dog!) problem is that he's a herding dog. When your husband and you are together hugging...you're a herd. :) Maybe he needs to do some actual herding to tire him out. That could be fun!

Diane - yes drought is hitting a lot of places. You're okay (guilt-wise) as you use drip emitters. Yes, my female poodle was wonderful. Females rule! How tall does your lovely Brunnera grow? 6 inches?

Kitty - Deborah is right. The financial guy can help you afford your rose spending. !!!

• rosecanadian
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Magpie - oh how poetically beautiful to see monarchs dancing around the flowers!!

• Diane Brakefield
    2 years ago

Carol, the financial guy might be a stuffed shirt, though. Kitty's got to check out both of these men..... Now I'm behind on two threads. Thought I could catch up here and swing over to the new thread. I can't win. The sweetest kitty I ever had was a female, red (orange) Persian. My Peanut Butter. We have three dude/eunuch cats, but the sweetest one is also orange, and he's chosen me as his Mom. I've read, and don't know if this is true, that orange/dark gold cats do have the sweetest natures, but live a shorter life. PB did live to be nearly 17, though, so I don't agree with that. It seems like large dogs do have the shortest lives of all. I remember you mentioning your female dog and how smart she was and boss dog. I love that.....The Brunnera starts about a foot tall, and then gets a little taller as the leaves grow big and heart shaped (a big nice mounded plant shape). It slowly spreads, but this is what I want. It's not a problem. It's very cold hardy. If it originated in Siberia, it's got to be, and I'll bet you could grow it. It's a perennial, and only needs part sun. Diane

• Diane Brakefield
    2 years ago

Carol, Brunnera is hardy down to zone 3. Diane

• KittyNYz6
    2 years ago

Deborah, Magpie, Beautiful pooches! Your A Shephatd, oh so gorgeous photo-stunning sweetie! And Magpie-Wow-Your darling Noelle-perfect photo! Heart warming photos!!!!!

Deborah, Carol, Ha, ha, Financial guy can help me afford my roses! Laughing rolling over on the floor! Date tham both! Maybe!

Diane, Stuffed shirt, maybe, Yikes,, ha ha!

Oh, My, what to do!

Think I am focusing on the house this month & the rose guy & I are chatting. No dating until April when I finish painting & rose beds finished. Wanting to take my time…… Hmmmmm……

• titian1 10b Sydney
    2 years ago

Magpie, Noelle looks a sweetheart.

Diane, I'm going to stubbornly keep saying nePEETah: CLEMuthis I can cope with better. I have no problem with Brunnera, as I've not heard of it before! Yours looks pretty and very well-behaved to boot.

I'm pretty sure I read Hons and Rebels decades ago, but can't remember anything

Polish guy said the Russians weaponry and clothing was from 30 years ago, and that tins of food found next to them (bodies presumably :(), had a use by date of 2015. He also said the Ukrainians had destroyed large Russian convoys.

Kitty, I'm with the dating them both crowd. I think I'd pick the one who made me laugh the most. (And, shallowly, the one I was most attracted to.)

Completely off topic, but yesterday I came across the four body language guys, and I'm hooked.

It's actually stopped raining for an hour, so I think I'd better prise myself out of bed (lunchtime!), and take Rosie out.

rosecanadian thanked titian1 10b Sydney
  • Diane Brakefield
    2 years ago

Trish, what the heck are the four body language guys? The central part of Hons and Rebels is an incredible love story, so I thought you'd like it. I told my family about the 2015 food date, but couldn't remember the thirty year old stuff. A huge convoy heading to the capital of Ukraine has been stuck in the mud for over a week now and abandoned, I think.....Your climate might be too warm for Brunnera, but it's a wonderful plant. Diane

• titian1 10b Sydney
    2 years ago

Well, so much for that. Three minutes later it was raining, and three minutes after that it was bucketing - and it still is. However, tomorrow is supposed to be less wet..... Rosie has had treats instead, and so have I! Not good for our waistlines. Neither is all this sitting around.

Peanut Butter is such a cute name, Diane.

• titian1 10b Sydney
    2 years ago

Still bucketing, though heavier. I now have a river. The people below put in drainage. I just hope it can cope. I don't know if you can see the river at the bottom of the garden. My phone camera doesn't pick up the rain, but it's so heavy you'd be soaked in 2 or 3 seconds. Slightly more obvious in the second photo.

A major bridge in Sydney has been closed due to flooding. There are waves, and a car floating. First time ever I'd say.

2 years ago

@titian1 10b Sydney Oh no, that's awful 😔 I hope the rain stops soon.

• rosecanadian
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Diane - Oh, yes. For sure. :) :) It was just a "for fun" guess. Yes, I read that too that orange cats have the best personalities. Awww...Peanut Butter...what a sweet name. :) :) Yes, large dogs don't live very long. I've just always loved big dogs. I'd love to get an Irish Wolfhound...but we have short chainlink fences and it would jump right over. Jellybean (black standard poodle)...she was something special. She seemed more human than dog. Well, if I ever find Brunnera I would get one. It's hard to find more unusual things here. We had our largest greenhouse close down (retirement and sold the property)...the other ones don't have the same selections.

Kitty - it seems you are in high demand...lots of guys are hovering around you. :) :) So you can take your time. :)

Trish - I didn't get what you meant: "Completely off topic, but yesterday I came across the four body language guys, and I'm hooked." ?? :) It's too bad we can't float rain clouds over to areas that need rain from places that have too much rain. We'd have a bidding war for your rain. Stay safe and warm inside.

• titian1 10b Sydney
    2 years ago

Carol, I thought you'd all be familiar with the four body language guys, as it's an American production. Three are from the US, two of whom are Army interrogators, and the fourth is a rather charming Englishman. They're all very clever, and very entertaining. I'm watching one at the moment on the Alec Baldwin interview. Also watched a fascinating TED talk by the Englishman - Mark Bowden - called the Importance of being Inauthentic. Really worth a look, and watch it to the very end.

Thanks Magpie. Rain has eased, but dangerous thunderstorms forecast for this area. No sign as yet.

One of the streams:

• rosecanadian
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Trish - nope :) Never heard of them. Okay...I just listened to his Importance of being Inauthentic. You're right...that was really good! Good luck with your horrid rain. I hope it stops soon.

• Diane Brakefield
    2 years ago

Looks like my post above is missing. I'm sick of this and taking a break from posting on the forum. Diane

• titian1 10b Sydney
    2 years ago

Diane, please don't take a break. Try posting on the other thread. It may just be, as you pointed out earlier, that this thread is overloaded.

• Melodye Sartori zone 10a Melbourne
    2 years ago

Trish, just seen on the news all the landslides around Sydney, and all the evacuations. I hope you are all OK where you are. Am still trying to catch up all I have missed over the past 3 weeks. Melodye

ps I do not have a dryer either, my main L-shaped lounge/ dining room is a giant clothes drying ’cupboard’ most of the year. M

rosecanadian thanked Melodye Sartori zone 10a Melbourne
    2 years ago

Okay - @Diane Brakefield -- two things: 1) my iphone won't show me recent comments or all comments (I thought Houzz censored me at first when I posted about the invasion of Ukraine on the night it started). But I'm not having that problem with my computer. On my iphone, even if I click on a comment that's showed up in my email, I get an incomplete thread on Houzz. But, again, not on my computer.

2) there is a hilarious post on reddit about orange cats and stereotypes (at least I find it hilarious - though also concerning in some ways). I must warn you (and anyone else stumbling on this thread) that it is on a forum that some may find offensive just by its very title. I hadn't heard of it before someone had forwarded the post to me, and then I just had to chuckle. The premise of the forum is AITA? Which is for people wanting others to weigh in as to whether or not the poster is the a**hole in the scenario (or not, or the other person). Anyway -- I think you might get a chuckle out of this. If you're offended even reading the premise of the forum - just don't go there: https://www.reddit.com/r/AmItheAsshole/comments/rfwgmc/aita_for_perpetuating_ethnic_stereotypes_about/ after you've read the initial post, you might then read the update (the link is at the top of the post, but don't click on it before reading the initial post).

Trish - hope your rain lets up. So wish we could transport some of it to California!

2 years ago

Don't go Diane. Your comments are treasures. We need all you can offer.

• Diane Brakefield
    2 years ago

Sheila, I'm very down right now for a number of reasons, and I need a break. Nothing permanent. Thank you for your concern. I hope all of you are doing well. Diane

2 years ago

I am not at home at present, Lou threw Melissa out 3 weeks ago because she wasn’t ’caring ’ for him since she had arranged all these specialist appointments which he didn’t want. He had ranted at the Psycho- geriatrician during a zoom call that morning and been in a foul mood all day and really lost it in the evening when we sat down to dinner which he had said he didn’t want and there was no food served for him. He denied that he had refused to eat and where was his dinner! and then it really started!!! I was very upset and frightened when Melissa quietly got up and said she was going. She called her ’ex ’ who said she could stay with him and to bring me and Harry, so I was very grateful to Max for providing us with shelter. He lives 5 mins away from home, so Melissa and I have been going over in the morning to check on Lou, bring him some prepared food and set out his pills for the day, no ‘thanks’ just glares and ‘get out of here’ although he did ask me to go back and care for him because he can’t manage on his own. I told him no, not until agreed to see the specialists for the tests he so badly needs, but that is something he refuses to do because there is nothing wrong with him, it is just the kids plotting to put us both in a home so they can sell our house and get all the money. Not true! I do not know where he got that idea, but he is adamant that that is the case. Any way last Friday we got a call from our neighbour who said he asked her to call Melissa, but when Mel talked to him he said he was OK and not to bother him. The neighbour said he was leaning when he walked, and the Carer who did the evening welfare check said he was having trouble getting in and out of the chair. He had been OK in the a.m when Missy and I went over. So we called Carl who went and then called the ambulance because he thought it was a Stroke. So Lou is now in hospital, the thought is a cerebellar stroke but he is refusing to cooperate with hospital staff and wants to go home. The Aged Psychiatric Assessment team saw him yesterday but he refused to talk to them or answer their questions. as before, but Melissa and Carl have made it clear that we won’t be available to care for him at home so he may end up in the geriatric- psych ward in spite of himself. We have been advised not to visit, or phone him at this stage, l feel really bad for him, but I just can’t go on with him like this. The ambulance crew called the police to help get him into the ambulance he was fighting them and Carl so much so that will ranckle in what memory he has left. He is threatening to kill Carl, for putting him in hospital. The Doctors are keeping Carl and Melissa informed. Poor Carl is just over a mild dose of covid and really just doesn’t need all this extra stress. I’m doing OK now, I’m booked for R eye cataract surgery on the 31st March, then L eye 14th April. I could have been done next week on 17th but I have a hairdressers appointment I refuse to miss, they are like hen’s teeth at present. first things first is my motto. Next instalment coming soon.

Melodye

rosecanadian thanked Melodye Sartori zone 10a Melbourne
  • oursteelers 8B PNW
    2 years ago

Melodye, I have no other words other than to say I am so completely sorry you are all going through such a terrible time.

rosecanadian thanked oursteelers 8B PNW
    2 years ago

@Melodye Sartori zone 10a Melbourne Oh my gosh, that sounds incredibly difficult. I am so sorry that you've been going through it so long and that it's getting more intense as it goes on. I wish I had any words to help you feel better. Please don't ever give up those hair appointments or whatever form of self-care you enjoy, it's so hard to be a care giver and you absolutely deserve time to care for yourself too. I wish there was more we could do for you.

• titian1 10b Sydney
    2 years ago

Melodye, what a time you've had. I'm so sorry. That is miserable, but at least he's being cared for now away from you all. My father went doo lally towards the end, and I never remember him being grateful for anything at any stage of his life!, but much worse to have a husband in that state.

Thanks for your concern. We have been very lucky. My daughter was supposed to drive to the Uni for tutorials and pracs on the Central Coast on Monday. Thank goodness she decided not to go. There's been plenty of water flowing through here, and I hate to think how wet it is behind and underneath my daughter's flat. Today they forecast gale force winds, but only a slight breeze so far. Did you see the dash cam footages of the Roseville and Spit Bridges? Horrendous.

Deborah, I've heard of that site, and I'll have a look. Thanks. Diane uses a computer, but there's clearly a problem there too. I wrote a post touching on Ukraine a few days ago. I could see it, but no-one else it seemed, though when I mentioned that, Diane went back and had a look, and found it, then it disappeared on her again.

• titian1 10b Sydney
    2 years ago

PS Melodye, there's a new seasonal thread called We're all in this together. I notice this thread doesn't appear to have updated with my post.

Aaahhh, now it has.

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    2 years ago

Oh Melodye, I am so sorry to hear of your difficulties. I guess that you never know how old age will affect us. Was Lou always a difficult man or is this something out of character? Im glad for your piece of mind that he will probably not be returning home. You need a safe and calm life and I pray that you will get it

Best wishes on your cataract surgery. Mine is healing nicely. Im glad that you are getting both of them done. You will notice a huge difference.

rosecanadian thanked Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
  • KittyNYz6
    2 years ago

Dearest Melodye,

Thank you for sharing. Much love to you! Trials in our lives come & go. You have been very strong & wise in dealing with your hubby. God bless you and all those who tried to help. You deserve peace now. He does, too. I pray you both receive protection, good health and progress towards harmony.

• rosecanadian
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Diane - sure, we understand. Some days are like that. We'll certainly miss you and your wonderful humor...but you have to take care of yourself and do what you need to do. Much love. <3 :)

Melodye - (both of our names mean "a song") Another person who doesn't have a dryer. Is this an Australian thing? :) Good grief!! LOL I just read about Jorts/Jean in the cat AITA link. LOL That's just so ridiculous!! :) :) I did get a laugh over it. :)

Melodye - Wow!! You've been through the wringer with drama at home. I think it's a very good thing that you're enjoying things like AITA and getting your hair done. You can't take care of anyone unless you take care of yourself. If your husband ends up in the geriatric psych ward...it could be a good thing. You'll get a lot of respite from him and you'll be able to be very patient and loving when you see him, because you'll have a lot of time to take care of yourself, and you'll know that you can escape his moods whenever you want to. Keep us posted, vent to us and take care of yourself. So much stress! And good luck with your eye surgeries.

• seasiderooftop
    2 years ago

@Diane Brakefield

I hope whatever has got you down will be resolved soon, and I can understand that when you're not feeling 100%, Houzz glitches are the last thing you want to deal with. I agree with you and @titian1 10b Sydney that the glitches seem to get worse as the threads get longer.

@Melodye Sartori zone 10a Melbourne

That situation sounds very scary and sad. I hope that he can eventually accept that he needs treatment. I am glad you have people around you there to help you and be supportive. Oh, I agree with the others, definitely don't skip the hairdresser, you deserve some pampering after all of that!!

rosecanadian thanked seasiderooftop
    2 years ago

Thank you all very much for your kind thoughts and wishes. They are very much appreciated.

Lou’s Doctor called and said they were doing another MRI scan. The last one showed something in the base of his brain. They are querying whether it is a residual pocket of infection from last year. Lou absolutely refused to go to the followup clinic after the PICC came out at the end of January. The psych geriatrician suggested,after Lou shouted and swore at him, we apply for an emergency Power of Attorney, so we could have Lou admitted as an involuntary patient, but the Psychiatrists said no, he would just refuse to talk to them and oppose any suggested treatment as usual. He has Rights!!! Sorry, I am being a b—-h! so still status quo!

Kristine beautifol photos of Azalea and your clematis too. So happy your eyes are healing well. My hope is for an uneventful recovery and improved near and distance vision so I can draw my non existent eyebrows evenly when I do my face, They usually end up uneven and patchy. Very annoying!

Carol, Melissa and I haven’t laughed so much in ages as we did at the AITA column. We decided that we wouldn’t be ’embuttered or margarinised’ by our current problems. I agree with the general idea that orange cats have one brain cell among all of them. We had one once,a stray that followed Melissa home from school not without encouragement IMO. He was beautifully tempered but… dumb. We had a lot of Trash basket events and paper bag ones too also head stuck in can. but he was good company.

Diane, enjoy your break and come back refreshed to battle the internet gremlins. Ive battled a few today, I’ve lost several items before I could submit themand some photos wouldn’t load, so I keep trying.

Trish I hope you are keeping well. I had an episode 3 weeks ago my pulse was 122-125 for about 20 mins but it settled and has been fine since. It was a comparatively quiet day too, don’t know what happened, gave me a scare though.

We are quite settled in SIL’s rental, it is near Olivia’s school, and there is a big grassy backyard for Harry.who has decided he is an indoor dog unless some one will go outside and play with him. There is a clump of Naked lady( Belladonna lilies) a choko vine on the fence, a Dolichos creeper mounded in a corner an olive tree more bushy than treelike and a potted banana. My favourites though are the 2 4 o’clock plants smothered in grass beside the back doorstep. Thats the garden!

Dolichos creeper

Choko vine

Naked Lady stalks

Olive bush and banana

4o’clocks

Sniffy and Fluffy(white)

Max is baby sitting 2 bunnies, Sniffy is getting fat I think she’s pregnant. luckily the owners are picking them up tomorrow. ;-) I never knew rabbits could be so noisy. Harry will miss them though, he lies in front of the cage and watches them a lot of the day.Max has a rabbit of his own, Peter and a guinea pig Cotton tail, they are both still quite young. I have no photos of them, they are in Max’s room because Peter is an escape artist and needs to be kept safe from Harry.

I miss home though, the garden looks dead and dry and most of my new plants have died. I cancelled my rose orders because I do not know what the next few months will bring or even where I’ll be. I have ordered Spring bulbs to put in pots, I’ll try Seaside’s lasagne idea and I have Sweet Pea seeds for pots and Phlox too, so all is not lost, Spring will be bright for us yet!

Melodye

• librarian_gardner_8b_pnw
    2 years ago

Meloyde, I am thinking of you. I am so sorry that things are so difficult right now. I'm really glad that you're not alone navigating all of this.

rosecanadian thanked librarian_gardner_8b_pnw
  • seasiderooftop
    2 years ago

@Melodye Sartori zone 10a Melbourne

Yaaayyy a bulb lasagna!!

Two tips from my recent experiments:

If possible, try to get a pot with sides like this |_| rather than like this \_/. If the bottom is too narrow, your bottom layer will only be wide enough for a few bulbs.

For soil I used MG Bulb Fiber mix with one kilo of coarse sand mixed in for even better drainage, but I guess perlite would be fine too. I use plastic pots so drainage matters or the bulbs may rot.

If you use terracotta pots you could just use regular potting soil and skip the sand/perlite.

Here is a nice tutorial by Sarah Raven:

https://youtu.be/BBB8tPau2Q0

I love the olive/banana combo! I'd never seen those two growing together.

rosecanadian thanked seasiderooftop
    2 years ago

Melodye, Let Lou go and you stay in your home. So sorry he has gone to the dark side. It all will be a relief when he gets situated somewhere else. Sad when you cannot help a loved one.

• rosecanadian
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Melodye - That's good that you're not letting your situation get to you too much. Obviously it's difficult (hugely), but Lou (in his right mind) wouldn't want you to be suffering. And he sounds like too much for you to handle. I love that Harry enjoys the rabbits as an enrichment. Our poodle, Jellybean, loved to watch our cichlids swim back and forth. :) :) I can't believe how centered you are. On top of Lou, you have your garden not doing well, and you're missing being at home. Being with Melissa must be just the thing you've been needing. :)