SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jim1961_gw

WINTER is here! Seasonal thread part 3

Well for alot of us Winter has arrived! The blues can be a problem this time of the year...

So post pics, have good conversation, and just have fun to break up those blues!

Thank you all for making these seasonal threads such a success!

Comments (219)

• flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA
    4 years ago

I'm glad to know seed starting can be done this way. If I can find any more hips with viable seeds, and if this snow melts enough to get to the soil, I will try it. It might work since some seeds take root right where they drop off the rose bush. I am way behind on this winter project.

• titian1 10b Sydney
    4 years ago

Kristine, I had (still have) an attack of vertigo on Monday. I saw the doctor, and she did some tests. When she turned my neck to the left the room spun. I had a stiff neck on that side. Realised it was from lifting the cement seat with Patrick the day before. She said vertigo is often associated with some problem in the neck. You probably know this, but I thought I'd mention it just in case.

• Related Discussions

Winter Madness, "seasonal thread" Part 1

Q

Comments (250)
    Beautiful snow scene, Vapor. Wanna trade trees? Love those big, beautiful beech trees, especially the Tri-Color Beech. Green leaves with pink edges! Good to hear your wife is improving, Jim. She must be getting cabin fever. She deserves a day out, doing something she loves, when she's up to it. The weather is so different this year. We have snow coming tomorrow, too, but temps rising the next day so it'll melt. Every time we get snow, it's gone the next day. It's been more like a zone 8 winter. I'm not complaining! Trish, I keep forgetting to let you know I did some research on the feline renal failure sites my vet referred me to, and found that phosphorus binders are not necessary if they're on a therapeutic kidney diet, which she is. The binders are used if the cat won't eat prescription food. Daisy's numbers are good and she eats her prescription food. So far, so good. That will likely change as we progress into this awful disease. I'm glad it was helpful for your puppy. We were discussing this on another thread that's no longer active, that's why I'm bringing it up here. I bought some goat skin garden gloves 4 years ago and can't bring myself to use them. They're so pretty! Very soft. Stay safe in the bad weather, all you Midwesterners, Easterners and Canadians.
    ...See More

Winter Madness, "seasonal thread" Part 3

Q

Comments (155)
    Jim, I'm glad to read that about warmer days coming. That's what it looked like on the rundown of weather predictions in US cities. Here, it is warmish, but will actually be a little colder for the next day or two. Nothing awful, but not springlike. It's still wet for here. This is good because I'm not tempted to do "just a little" cleanup, plus I'm exhausted. No matter how much sleep I get, I'm exhausted. I'm not used to this feeling. Oh, yes, swearing is a hobby of mine. Heh. Thanks, Sheila. I appreciate your interest in my blow by blow sleep problems. How is your husband doing? Well and on the mend, I hope. I know your spring like temps are ahead of us, and I'm sure that bit of snow did no harm. Flowers, you have probably heard that 23 people died (so far) in the little Alabama town struck by the tornado. That's a terrible toll for such a small place--or any place. It's the worst tornado death toll since 2013. Where's Dianela??? I'm sure the town is well south of her, though......It sounds like you are getting into the spring mood with your winter sowing. I throw out gathered poppy seed and hollyhock seed in March if possible. I ordered my other seed just after Christmas. I think I'll use last year's leftover basil seed, since I usually have virtually 100 % germination on new basil seed. I'll just sow the year old stuff heavily. How are your temps doing? Not too bad, I hope. Kristine, thanks for reminding me about the time change. I'm in Never-Neverland right now, and not paying attention very well. Diane
    ...See More

Winter Madness, "seasonal thread" Part 4

Q

Comments (164)
    Jim, please go ahead and start a spring thread when you have time. We appreciate all you have done keeping the seasonal threads going and making them lots of fun. Love all your crazy photos, too. I only worked 1 hr and 10 minutes. Too many interruptions, plus sore knees from crawling along on pavement, cleaning out the beds that border sidewalks. The whirligig is going so fast in the breeze I'll never get a pic of the thing. That cat really knows how to ride a bicycle. Diane
    ...See More

FALL is here! Seasonal thread part 3

Q

Comments (130)
    Lisa, your Flamingo Garden's Tea is the epitome of a tea rose and I am captivated. I hope all those buds remain intact through the high winds. Gorgeous with Pomponella peeking through. Your bouquet may not be what you had in mind, but it is lovely and I wouldn't change a thing. I will be looking for a Cherry Caramel phlox! Love it! Sara Ann, what pretty grands you have. The grown up girl on the right in the 2nd pic must be the little girl in the first photo? And, the boy on the left must also be on the left in the 2nd pic? I can't decide which of the two young boys the little cutie blondie is. Mine are all girls except 1 grandson. We have photos of him and my dad, his great grand dad, sitting side by side on the porch, each wearing one of dad's hats from when he was tiny through his 20's, the last one taken just before my dad passed away. Those photos are so precious. Diane, you are always so complimentary. I could post a photo of dirt and you would find something nice to say about it. Those roses are Rosarium Uetersen, Quietness and Florentina, all in their shrunken, cold weather glory. Hope you put an extra blanket on the bed. We are both scheduled to get down to 14˚ tonight. I'm still doing the compost sling, too. Hope to wrap it up this week. It's too cold to stay outside for long.
    ...See More
  • Kenneth zone 7A - Southern Middle TN
    4 years ago

Y’all have no idea the nightmare I’m living . So I have braces and the practice I Goto is horrible and they have been changing doctors due to high turn over I feel like a lab rat for these new doctors they have had 5 doctors since I started treatment ! These last two adjustments they didn’t tighten them right so now I have a big gap it’s like every doctor has set me back . Im such a baby cry my teeth were not bad but every doctor Has contributed to the set back of my teeth and I feel so desperate . I want to go to another doctor but I paid them I reached out to my ins and will reach out to a lawyer ( you know they had me wearing the wrong rubber bands for a whole 2 year and until doctor # 5 noticed and changed them my teeth are finally correcting my underbite after 3 years .

• DDinSB (Z10b Coastal CA)
    4 years ago

Kenneth - so sorry you are going through such a terrible "teething" issue. I hope you get it all sorted soon and with minimal pain and expense. Titian & Kristine -- vertigo is no fun! I had a bout of that as a teenager when I had an inner ear infection -- fell down a flight of stairs and burned my wrist (separate incidents) before my parents took me to doctor to find out what was up. A friend is now going through extensive tests to find out what is causing her vertigo. Went to UC Davis, and then eventually to Stanford. They think it was related to a TIA? a mini stroke. She's using a walker and needs help showering and has had her mobility and quality of life drastically impaired. I went to help out for a week before Christmas. Poor thing. I hope yours is passing and will be cleared up soon. These medical mysteries are so awful. Diane -- I must have missed a post -- are you recovering from an operation? Flu? Doc Martin is a PBS series. May have ended by now -- but you can watch on Hulu or other online services. The doctor was a successful surgeon in London but moves to a small seaside village in Cornwall and becomes their GP. He is a social misfit. I think you'd like this series based on your book choices. I've had numerous friends tell me I should watch, but I finally did when I was laid up with the toes. Speaking of toes - They are getting better each day. I *did* get out there to plant the two roses that were new bareroot -- but I was so busy babying my toes and gingerly stepping about, that I hooked my leg on a mega thorn and got a bad puncture. I froze in place. extricated myself, didn't even tear my jeans. But then my whole leg was wet and I saw that my jeans were bloody all down the outside of my calf. So I quit early and came in. I had a blood-drenched sock and the whole outside bottom leg of my jeans. I washed it, put alcohol on it, then put some triple antibiotic ointment and a bandaid on it. Let's hope that's that. I think I'm up to date on tetanus shot...

I'll try to post some photos.

Update on new roses and disappearing roses. A friend is going to take my Dick Clark and my Black Cherry. I don't think they like me. In their place...drumroll...a Bolero (thanks to Lisa's raves) and an impulse purchase -- Moonlight in Paris. I just bought those today while I was up in Goleta buying a garbage disposal. Apparently ours gave up last night and told us this by just dumping gallons of water out the bottom. Did it rust out? who knows. At first I thought I was being messy while washing off the greens I was about to stirfry in garlic and olive oil. So I mopped up the water. A while later, the whole kitchen was a puddle, and I realized something else was afoot. Anyway -- back to roses -- So -- now I've planted (or purchased) the following new roses in the past 2 weeks:

Bolero (just bought today -- not in ground yet - own root)

Princesse Charlene de Monaco (2, own root)

Moonlight in Paris (just bought today - not in ground yet)

Scentuous

Julie Andrews

The Bolero, Scentuous, and Julie Andrews look pretty small.

The Princesse was good sized.

Also planted in pots -- the Duchesse de Brabant and Grandmother's Hat.

Moved my rescued, re-grown from last bit of root/shoot the gophers didn't get Hot Cocoa from about a 2 gallon pot to the garden, right next to the new (last year) Hot Cocoa.

The Bolero will go in front of my two Love's Promise (pure, deep red). The Moonlight in Paris will go off to the side of the reds and Bolero, across the path from Life of the Party/Huntington's 100th, James L. Austin, and White Licorice. So hoping all the colors blend well and don't look weird.

I now have several tiny, baby roses that started as 4"-ers. The Golden Celebration and Velchenblau and Felicia will be in their 2nd years. Plus I have my chance seedling that is still quite small. Sigh. Why can't I get instant satisfaction??

In pruning news -- I'm woefully behind. Got a bit done before my puncture wound sent me indoors. I know some folks have said that Yves Piaget is not a pretty bush in terms of form. Let me say it's a beauty compared to my Munstead Wood and Love Song. These were a hot mess. Took me forever to get them in order. Don't get me wrong -- I lLOVE the flowers on LS and MW. And the fragrance of MW makes me sooo happy. But the thorns on MW are crazy. And the LS may have fewer thorns, but so dangerous...

4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Cantua Buxifolia -- Sacred Flower of the Andes (or Incas) -- this bloom just cannot be captured on film. I've waited a while for this 4" little plant to grow into a blooming shrub! Got this color variety from Annie's Annuals. Also bought their variation -- "hot pants" -- still waiting for those flowers.

Cuttings before pruning -- Two Olivia Rose Austin (bottom) and the top 3 are Huntington's 100th/Life of the Party. All super fragrant!

4 years ago

Love's Promise in the vase. Trouble free, gorgeous red, and so fragrant. Love it.

The Duchesse de Brabant in a pot. Came as a 4" plant last week from Annie's Annuals, and had these buds on it!

My Chantilly Peach snapdragons from Annie's Annuals. Planted late last summer (or early fall?). Several of them. Now I need some purple one to go with...

4 years ago

p.s. Lisa -- they kept saying on the news that we *might* get rain today (Tuesday) but probably not -- and then yesterday we got light misting -- enough to make everything wet on top. They didn't predict that! The clouds have been dark gray all day today -- but no sign of rain.

• titian1 10b Sydney
    4 years ago

Deborah, glad to hear you're up and about. Just a short post as I'm due out soon, but can you get anti-fungal creams in the US? If that thorn wound starts throbbing, do get some, or go to the doc. I had one a year ago, and it wasn't healing, in fact getting bigger, and throbbing, despite antibiotic cream. 3am Xmas morning I thought I'd have to go to Emergency, but remembered I had anti-fungal cream. It did the trick. (Reminds me, I love Doc Martin.) I don't know if just vinegar would work for a fungal infection? Sheila probably will, though!

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    4 years ago

Trish, the root cause of vertigo is that the tiny otoliths (stones) in the inner ear are disrupted, often by repetitive neck motion, Meniere's Disease (increased inner eat pressure), or more rarely a tumor. Or causes unknown. I've gotten slight vertigo from long distance driving where I was looking right, then left a lot. I hope your vertigo is gone soon. I saw my cardiologist today, and he prescribed an increase in my daily ice cream. He's the best doc.

Lisa, I understand about the napping--we need it-- but I'm glad you got some rain. Your roses look lovely rain and all. You can't believe how awful things look around here. I can hardly stand to walk around the flower beds. Not much is truly dormant, though. Lots of green is showing, and the Dara looks ominous. It's greener than ever and growing--agh. A big mat of the stuff. I wish I could lift a chunk up and send it down to you. You are very perceptive about Clare's art. When her teens began, she became very interested in Japanese comic art and TV series. Both the art and story are called "manga", and "anime" is art/comics produced from animation cells. In the US, there is big eye art, too. Anyway, she had her work on a couple of art websites that featured lots of young artists, many of whom used this style. Clare wrote books on these sites with accompanying art work. She had a lot of fans at the time. As far as explaining how she creates her art on computers, she uses two methods, which I'll explain very briefly in a day or two. This thread is just moving too fast, and I don't want to interrupt the flow.

I'm going to continue this after a brief rest in my lethal rocker. Deborah, you scare me with that puncture wound. Diane

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    4 years ago

Deborah. loves promise is so beautiful !

It sounds like you got a ton done before those wickewicked thorns grabbed you . How something so beautiful can be so mean?

You know I have ordered Hot Cocoa twice and I always change my mind

You have 2 so you must love it

How would it look next to either Distant Drums or Cinco de Mayo?

This is my first time planting a more unique color , Distant Drums not really sure what goes with those roses except lavender

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    4 years ago

Again, I can't resist posting this--it's called "Cooking with Kiddos". Diane

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    4 years ago

Back to roses. This is Angel Face and some of these photos I've posted before. Diane

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    4 years ago

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    4 years ago

4 years ago

All these roses got me like where’s spring ? Hurry !!

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    4 years ago

I might go to urgicare for a thorn injury or infection. Fungal infections are more rashy than painful usually.

Lisa, people with MS are at higher risk for osteoporosis. You should get a DEXA scan now, and not wait for the usual age like 65 to get one. Ins will pay for younger people at high risk.

4 years ago

Thorn infection ? I have had thorns stuck on my feet for a week im glad nothing ever happened . I walk in my backyard like I’m homeless with no shoes (love the grass in the feet feel ) . I hope your well and get that looked at .

-Rosa Daybreaker .

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    4 years ago

Diane, I love Angel Face when she goes all Mauve!! ♡

4 years ago

Angel face is so cute but hes a mess I have him I think he will be potted so I can control his black spot better .

• Golden Celebration
  • nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    4 years ago

Thanks, sultry. She's a good rose in dry climates. I love Daybreaker above, just stunning, Kenneth. Diane

4 years ago

AF is a bit better healthwise here on Fortuniana than when I had her on DH. Blooms a lot more too.

4 years ago

I love me some distant drums too !!!!

• flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA
    4 years ago

Trish, I'm so sorry you also suffer with vertigo. It was described to me as just getting off the Tea Cup ride at Disneyland, and feeling that way 24/7. The last time I got off that ride, I walked right into a pole. Are you able to get around in your house when it flares up? Another reason it's good your daughter isn't as far away as she was, just in case.

Kenneth, it's getting expensive reading your comments because for some reason, I feel I need all the beautiful roses you post. I bought Daybreaker when I first started growing roses in this climate, and didn't have a clue what I was doing, so she died. Yours looks happy.

Deborah, your encounter with the thorn sounds awful. That was a lot of blood! Wouldn't hurt to have it looked at. On the other hand, I've had a thorn embedded in the back of my leg for a couple years. It comes out in slivers now and then, and those tiny particles even cause more blood than you'd expect. I know a little sliver has worked it's way to the surface when it starts to snag my clothes.

Diane, beautiful, beautiful Angel Face. So appropriately named. I like your dr. I've never gotten a prescription I would be as eager to take. Cooking With Kiddos is packed with lots to see. Very cute!

Come on Kenneth! Have a heart. Distant Drums is one I've gone back and forth on. I decided to get Koko Loco instead. I thought it was Distant Drums' off spring, but just checked and they're not even related.

4 years ago

Roses are so beautiful I think we all can agree . 🌹

4 years ago

So I found out my pink unknown body bag is Miranda Lambert it was from Certirfied roses and I know a worker and he confirmed it ..... she’s a fave . Great smell and cut flower ... she’s on the arragment above but I love her in her big ole bush and single stem blooms .

4 years ago

@Flowers I have no self control I’m like Arianna grandes 7 rings “ I see it , i like it , I want it , I got it yeah ! Laughing emojis

• titian1 10b Sydney
    4 years ago

Diane, thanks for that info. This is my first time with vertigo. On Monday morning, after the ash free rain, I decided to use a long-poled feather duster to get all the ash off all the high ledges etc. I started to feel dizzy pretty early on, but was determined to finish. I was doing it hanging on to things, so I wouldn't fall over. Half an hour later, those stones must have been well and truly dislodged!

Kenneth, I love, love, love Distant Drums. Maybe one day!

flowers, now I'm worried about the thorn in your leg. I had to look back to check that it was you writing about it, as it seemed so unlikely you would have not had it seen to. Are you feeling any better from your awful dose of 'flu?

Deborah, I thought after I'd posted, that all that blood loss probably carried any nasties away.

Diane, I can assure you, no doctor of mine would recommend I eat more ice-cream, so you must be quite slim, despite your protestations to the contrary. My husband came home with 4 litres of the stuff in my early days of breastfeeding our firstborn. I'd dropped back to below pre-pregnancy weight before leaving the hospital, and it just continued to fall off. Those were the days!

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    4 years ago

Trish, I am a notorious "kidder", and the cardiologist thing (I did have the appointment, though) was BeeEss. We never even discussed ice cream. It was just a med review for my blood pressure meds. I love seeing him because he's so calm and laid back, and quite young and cute--ha. Anyway, I'm sure you are much slimmer than I am because I do eat way too many sweets. I do remember dropping my pregnancy weight gain fast, but I was just 22 and tall and skinny to start with; I'm sure you were even skinnier. Strangely, I didn't get my sweet tooth until my 30s. All my other friends liked salty stuff. Your feather duster experience I've had, too. You can get a bit of vertigo by looking up like that for a prolonged time. As time passes, I seem to know more and more women who have had bad experiences with vertigo. Years ago, I would never have thought it was so common. I apologize for being naughty about the ice cream. But tomorrow I'm buying a good supply.

Deborah, I simply can't keep up with this thread, and I missed your photos. Your bouquet is lovely. How do you like Olivia? The Sacred Flower of the Andes is quite breathtaking and looks like a flower that would take one "look" at my winter "garden" and expire of shock. I can grow Four O'Clocks, or Miracle of Peru. They are sort of an upright morning glory. Meh. I hope your leg puncture is better and requires no more bother. I usually get punctured in the hand, or the giant roses grab my back--so I wear layers of clothing specifically for such problems. You should see my ripped up coat. I get my hair pulled from time to time. Roses are mean. They extract payment for the beauty they display. I'm not sick, and the surgery was nearly a year ago, but thanks for asking. I'm just so much more tired this year and sleep way more. Of course, I'm yet one year older, and that doesn't help. I was sorry to read about your friend and her vertigo. Obviously, the docs have ruled out Meniere's Disease or other possible causes. I hope things get better for her.

Flowers, I haven't ridden the Teacup since my twenties, but your mentioning walking into a pole did conjure up a slightly comical visual (I apologize for saying that). Angel Face thanks you. She's a favorite and I wish she bloomed a little more, but I can't complain. Your slivers sound awful, and hope they leave you in the near future. I promise to talk a little about the computer art thing later. I've been meaning to ask: are you a pianist? You have mentioned your piano in the past--just wondering. Well, I'll get to Kenneth's beautiful roses tomorrow. Diane

• titian1 10b Sydney
    4 years ago

Diane, DUH. Sometimes I am SO gullible!

• sara_ann-z6bok
    4 years ago

I’ve been enjoying all the beautiful rose pictures. Kenneth, your roses are very impressive, love seeing them.

Diane, I hope my Angel Face looks like yours, but I don’t think I’ll get that lovely color here. Clare puts so much detail into her work. I’m definitely not an art expert, but I can tell she’s very talented!. I have to force myself to stay away from ice cream, one of my weaknesses, but weight has been a real issue with me. I’ve very slowly lost 47 pounds and need to lose about that much more, I actually enjoy trying to eat healthy, but it’s not easy sometimes.

Yesterday there was talk in town that we might get snow or even freezing rain, depending on the temps. Thankfully we’re just getting rain. Even though it’s dreary and cold, it's above freezing. I could deal with some snow, but no way would I want that freezing rain!

4 years ago

Uggh heirloom is the devil . 50% and they have a rose I have been eying for 19.xx

• toolbelt68
    4 years ago

Diane, you may want to get a repair person to install two burner controls on the stove in your picture that you posted….. the right two burners are missing theirs… lol

4 years ago

Kenneth, 2 summers ago, Home Depot had their potted roses out in the parking lot and 90% of them were Miranda Lambert. I passed on her and now realize after seeing yours what a mistake I made.

I did plant Distant Drums and am pretty excited about that one .

Darn it Diane, I was ready to go buy a few cartons of ice cream, .finally a cure that I can get behind. Lol

Ice cream is good for the soul not so much for my everything else.

• Nola z5aWI
    4 years ago

This is a long thread! Trish, regarding the vertigo, I had an inner ear disturbance that caused vertigo and nauseousness, the first time the Dr. didn't recommend anything, the second time I saw a chiropractor and he recommended the Epley Maneuver, a certain non-invasive maneuver administered by a certified person, mine was a physical therapist. It worked for me and as soon as she was done performing it, I was fine, takes like 10 minutes of tilting your head in certain ways. There is a chance of it coming back within a year and a half. It's not 100% sure fire cure but it did work for me. I haven't had another episode. Just thought I'd mention it, if it can help you.

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    4 years ago

Nola, that Epley Maneuver has become popular. I know women who have tried it around here. All true vertigo originates in the balance mechanism of the inner ear, but there are lots of causes that mess up that mechanism.

Kristine, please accept my apologies about the ice cream diet. So Trish isn't only one who fell for that. I should be ashamed. Ice cream is a great source of calcium. That's why I eat it (please don't believe that).

Toolbelt, tell that to my granddaughter. I have no control over that drawing.

Kenneth, Miranda Lambert is so beautiful. I'm checking HMF, but I'll bet your examples are nicer than the photos there. The bouquet is eye popping, too.

Sara Ann, what an accomplishment to have lost that weight--and the right way--slowly. You'll keep it off by the slow and steady diet. Congrats! You will have a gorgeous Angel Face if she is like your other beautiful roses. Diane

• pippacovalent
    4 years ago

Kristine you will love Distant Drums. I have my first on in a pot that I love more than I expected so I have another coming this spring to put in the ground. I don't duplicate frequently but DD just amazed me all last year.

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    4 years ago

Here is Caramel Antique, a florists' rose from Kordes. It was available commercially only for about a year, quite a while back. It has no scent, but the blooms (there aren't very many of them) last forever. For the deer, it's at the top of their list.

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    4 years ago

4 years ago

I agree -- this thread moves so fast! Diane -- love Clare's work. Keep posting!

Distant Drums -- MAY be one of my all-time favorite roses. I might change my mind tomorrow. But the blooms are always beautiful, the bush never poses any problems/trouble, and the changing colors are just delightful. Someone above asked about colors to go with it -- I have it near several different colors, and none of them clash. I love the pink orchid tones -- and they seem to go well with everything. I have two Distant Drums. I'd have a whole section of them if I had more space. Kenneth -- your DD looks more intense pink than mine. Where do you garden, again?

I like Hot Cocoa because it is such a healthy rose here. Probably looks the best year-round of all my roses. But it's not terribly fragrant. And so I put it toward back of border. I like Love Song's flowers -- but also not fragrant, so, in back/middle. I like the Hot Cocoa blooms on their own, but hated them next to my true red of Love's Promise. Now it will be nestled between Dark Desire and some salvia with a bush of lavender behind it, going down the slope. So I hope the flowers will look truly spectacular in context now and not just on their own. The reason I have two hot cocoas is this: After the gopher got my 10 year old bush that was so healthy, I bought a new one last year. But, when I dug out the damaged hot cocoa -- and there was almost nothing left to dig out, one of the remaining canes looked to be rooted -- and my original was grafted. So I put the tiny fragment of a root in rooting powder, then potted it up in a ceramic 2-gallon or so pot. Lo and behold -- it grew! And it even bloomed. So -- this year, I planted the rescued Hot Cocoa right up next to the newer one from last year. So maybe it will look like one huge Hot Cocoa eventually.

Did I say above that I'm giving away my Dick Clark and my Black Cherry? A friend is eager for them. If the pattern holds true, they will flourish and I'll feel twinges of regret everytime I see how well they like their new homes!

I think my puncture is now just a bruise. It only hurts if I push it. Maybe I need ice cream? ;-)

flowers -- I cannot believe you didn't have that removed! Oh -- just saw the time. I am supposed to be in a meeting! bye.

• Lisa Adams
    4 years ago

Oh boy! So many comments and pictures since yesterday morning have been added. I’m apologizing ahead of time for what I don’t mention. I think I need to figure out how to “talk to text”, so I can keep up here. Since Vaps had some hilarious results, I can only imagine the crazy things that would show up for me! I’m sure it would add lots of interest to my comments. My phone already converts “polyantha” to “polygamy”, but I know to watch for that one. Actually, Kristine..... :)

Diane Angel Face is so beautiful. I see it for sale everywhere here, so it really must do well in dry heat. I’ve been very good about resisting any new roses this year, and haven’t bought a single one in a long time. The last thing I need is more roses right now, but the temptation is still there.

Deborah, I love everything you grow. I forget what general area you live in, north of me, I’m sure. ‘Moonlight in Paris’ is one rose I bid on at a “Save the Roses Auction”. I liked it so very much. At that time it was sold under the name ‘Garden and Home’. The bush was in bloom, and went for a pretty penny. I always enjoy seeing your Annie’s plants, since I either grow the same ones, or would like to. I’m glad you got Bolero! It is one of my very best dry heat roses, and always in bloom. I’m very confused as to why my own root Boleros from Fresh Garden Living are both growing up tallish and narrow. My old grafted one is so rounded, short and compact. I have a nearly open bloom in a vase from my grafted Bolero that I’ll compare to the own root blooms, as soon as it opens fully. I hope the new Boleros will hold on until then. I know there are a couple Boleros out there, and I’d be upset if the two newer ones weren’t the same Bolero as the old grafted bush. I planted them where they absolutely may not grow larger! Oh, the trials we put ourselves through over our roses! I like these trials much better than the other trial stuff going on in the US, lately. It’s no wonder I didn’t know the rain was coming. I’m about over watching the news lately. Sometimes I just take a break from it, so I don’t get too upset, angry, or sad, depending on what’s going on. I do like to know enough to be knowledgeable for conversation with family and friends, but I’ve seen enough for now. Much of my family is always so gung-ho about supporting their parties “guy”, no matter what an xxxx xx xxxxx xx. Enough about that, in fact I might take part of that out. Bolero is much more fun, and appropriate to discuss here.

I know some of you bought the same Bolero from Fresh Garden Living off Etsy or Amazon, although she sells under the name “Stargazer Perennials” on Amazon. I know it’s been discussed, but how have those Bolero plants turned out for you later? I might have to ask in a separate thread, if none of the “regulars” on this thread bought one of those. I’m just so surprised at the difference in bush form.

I already need a little break from writing. I’ll be back, but here’s a few pictures for now.

Yves Piaget bloom yesterday evening. Thanks to Lilyfinch’s texting me something about Yves, I took pictures for her AND got Yves, Bolero and Gruss an Aachen pruned afterwards. Yay!

I did cut these for the vase before I pruned, along with the single Bolero bud left.

I showed a picture of this very same cluster of Pomponella about a month ago. This cluster has lasted forever! She’s one that’s going to need a HUGE pruning. She wants to grow ginormous even though I’m accustomed to that with many roses here. Pomponella stands out as ULTRA vigorous and large, even in “The Land of Vigorous and Large”.

One more picture that’s not so exciting, but frustrating. Something is digging in my potted bulb barrels. My guess is mice, because the signs are subtle. It’s not the cats, since it happened overnight.

The creature managed to uproot two of the three sweet pea seeds I planted in here to later hide the fading bulb foliage. I’m going to cover them back up and water them. I guess I need to cover the barrel at night. That’s just what I need, another little thing to remember every evening and morning.

Hopefully I’ll be able to write more later today. Lisa

PS Flowers, how is Daisy?

4 years ago

I LOVE Distant Drums! Such a color range on that girl. She is like a Mood Ring!

Smoldering in a vase

4 years ago

Vertigo finally better today. I did try the Epley maneuver I don't think that I did it long enough this time because it usually works.

Deborah, your Hot Cocoa sounds beautiful. I have a friend that absolutely loves that rose ,maybe time to branch out with my colors

If anyone of you areare lawyers please don't take offence but good grief!

I was just going to go pick up a packet of divorce papers, submit and done

Well, the other couple decided to seek out a lawyer. Now we might need a civil lawyer because this could impact social security home loans . Seriously??? Sounds like they are trying to make this in to a huge deal.

Come on people, let's get the

packet and be done .

This is sounding expensive

Now back to our previous happy rose discuss .

I think that I should call Regans and

make sure that my delivery is in February so I can get as much planted as possible before my mid

March surgery.

I can't believe that I am so close to planting season again

4 years ago

I need to learn self control . I just couldnt . They had them all on sale and they were on my list .

4 years ago

@deborah I’m in Middle Tn like 40 mins from Nashville .

4 years ago

Kristine I hope surgery goes well.

Well wishes !

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    Original Author
    4 years ago

WOWSER! This thread has exploded! Thank you everyone for posting such great conversation and photos! WOW!

Thank you everyone for the support!

NO NEW news ihere...

OK I guess its time to start a new thread!

Click below for new fresh thread:

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/5856199/winter-is-here-seasonal-thread-part-4

4 years ago

Kenneth, Love your Canna! Pretoria (Bengal Tiger)?

4 years ago

Girl idk . Ask me rose names I know them without tags ( my roses all 200 don’t have tags I know them by name ) it’s a good variety it multiplya and reblooms beautiful . I am always giving away if you ever want let me know

4 years ago

I asked cuz it looks just like mine. It is a good one! I grow a few diff ones and all kinds of other sub/tropicals. You're such a sweetie to offer though. ♡

4 years ago

I always give away canna lillies they multiply quick .