SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_496812715

help with wiring light switch

pdxhome bmwe24
2 years ago

So I've been replacing regular switches with smart switches and I've been pretty successful until this one (I'm mostly an DIYer). It's a two gang with a single pole switch and a three way switch (single pole on right and three way on left). I'm using Kasa smart switches btw. So if you can see someone grounded the metal box (see lower back right). So for now, I slid both green/grnd wires from the switches into the metal slit of the box (not ideal but it was just for testing purposes...the box is grounded per testing with my multimeter). The three white wires all bunched together are neutral wires I believe (they were all connected with a screw cap). Before removing the old switches I tested if they were getting power and the black wire with the bent wire was getting power (for the three way, the red and white next to it are traveler wires) and one of the black wires that are next to the green wire in the bottomish right of the box (for the single pole). So I hooked up the three way switch and went to test it and there was no power when I turned the breaker on. The single pole load wire was powered but not the three way. There was also no power to what I assume are the neutral wires (shouldn't these have power at all times?). I have no idea why there is no power in the black load wire on the three way. Could anyone assist me here? Thanks!

Comments (14)