SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
toph_hughes

Need help fixing light switch wiring across two rooms.

Toph Hughes
7 years ago

A few months ago my dad attempted to replace some light switch plates in our downstairs bathroom and garage, and in the process killed the lights to the garage. What we have is a double switch in the bathroom which controls the two lights in there, and another double switch in the back of the garage. There is one double switch that was left alone which controls both the mudroom light and the garage lights. After he replaced the bathroom switch the lights in the garage will only turn on if the lights in the bathroom are turned on.
The switch in the back of the garage is supposed to control the garage lights and the back porch lights. I had limited equipment but I was able to attach a single switch to the back panel which allowed the garage lights to turn on but at the expense of the back porch light, which turns on when the switch is turned off. I know we need to get a double switch for the back door but my main concern is the fact that the switches for the garage lights (both the one in the mudroom and the one in the back of the garage) only function if the bathroom light is on. There is a new double switch in the bathroom but I am not sure if it is the type of switch or the way it's being wired that is causing this issue.

To recap:

Bathroom (double switch, controls bathroom lights, was replaced, is required to be flipped on for either garage light switch to work)

Mudroom (double switch, controls mudroom lights and garage lights, untouched)

Garage (double switch, controls garage lights and back porch lights, currently has a single switch which alternately turns on garage and back porch lights depending on which direction it's flipped in).

Comments (9)