SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
internet1382

Putting Away Your Holiday Decor

Aphaea
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Please share what you are doing or have done this year as regards putting away and/or getting rid of any holiday decorations for Halloween, autumn, Thanksgiving, Hanukkah or Christmas.

Did you decide to get rid of things? If so, what were they and why did you choose them? Did you give them away before the holiday or after? What about what you are keeping? How do you pack it? Where do you keep it? Is it organized and if so, how? What kind of storage do you use? Where will it reside until you use it again? Do you buy organizers or use boxes/bags? Got any secrets or tips you are willing to share?

I got three younger cats in late summer as my other three died of old age earlier. I had forgotten what younger means--lots of play, destructive behaviors during said play, insatiable curiosity. I had given my lipstick red Christmas tree (and its gorgeous antique and vintage ornaments) to my favorite thrift store because my new home is green and white and I wanted to go with those calming and peaceful colors. It turned out to be a good thing because the cats' destructive play would probably have meant the end of it. I was a bit sad I couldn't have my late mother's small Hallmark cardboard antique stove (with turkey in oven) out for the autumn season but I wanted it to live teethmark-free for many more years. I used two tabletop flocked trees, carefully, but the cats didn't care about them at all. They did however take an interest in a small miniature forest I have but that seemed to wear off over time. All in all, not too bad.

I was able to cut my autumn decorations to about half of the strong cardboard Chewy shipping boxes I use because of not putting all the faux pumpkins in smaller individual boxes. They are protected from one other by squares of small bubble wrap. And since no one but me will touch them I am not worried about they getting damaged. I love seeing maybe three or four medium-sized boxes and know that next year will be even easier to set them up and take them down.

Now I am beginning to prepare the Christmas items for storage. Again, I am going to try to cut down by about half. Since it is after Christmas I will designate one box for all items that I think I might get rid of by donating them to the thrift store in September. It will be well marked and easy to get to at that time. Plus, I made the decision that I am not going to buy a six-foot tree; I will stick with three flocked tabletop trees and a tiny six-inch gold tree. None will have lights or ornaments. I ended up not doing that this year and it turns out I love it.

I used a real TJ's wreath on the door and will do that again. It's easier than storing a faux one and it smells wonderful. (Alas, all real decorations have to go on the porch; can't take the risk with the cats.) The didn't get tied onto a pretty jute rope this year but that was okay; they decorated the coffee table.

In the meantime, I will keep an eye out at the thrift store and elsewhere for those plastic storage boxes with locking lids. Sturdy as the Chewy boxes are I want to get everything into those bins eventually.

This year's celebrations, partly due to COVID and partly to my own choice to scale down and concentrate on what I own and love (and not to buy) has made not just the holiday easier and truly more memorable and valuable, but I am finding joy in packing them up as well. And when I finish that part I will begin my January ritual, Apartment Therapy's January Cure.

Comments (16)

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz