SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kdrago

Best Rose: Jeanne Lajoie vs Mortimer Sackler vs James Galway

katemartha (z5/6 nj)
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Hi there!

I am hoping to a bare-root rose to be delivered in Spring, and am hoping you all might be able to narrow down my options as I am a bit of a novice when it comes to roses.

I am located in Zone 6a and am hoping to plant a cane-hardy pink climbing rose on a large arch that can withstand winters here. I would like it to be a repeat blooming rose so that I get more blooms out of the season, but I will combine it with a clematis to keep the show going in between flushes. Since it will be planted on an arch I am trying to find something that won't be too thorny. The location receives full sun, and while some summers are very dry, lately we've been getting more rainy/humid weather in the summer, so something disease resistant would probably be best. Fragrance is an added bonus, of course!

So far I am considering David Austin's James Galway or Mortimer Sackler or perhaps Jeanne Lajoie. Do any of you grow any of these in your gardens? Do you feel one is a more prolific bloomer than the rest, or less thorny, or more disease resistant, or more cold hardy? Which do you think might be the best fit for me? Please share photos if you have any!

Thanks for the help, as always!

Comments (21)