SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jolu5

Making a ceiling look as high as possible and a walled mirror problem

jolu5
2 years ago

I believe it's 8' but "measure" on iphone doesn't seem to measure correctly.

I'll be doing renovations and have a number of questions, but here's the first!

Right now the walls are an off (ugly mat) white and has this mud texture (which I would love to minimize but I'm sure I'll still have that unfortunately). The ceiling doesn't look like it's ridiculously low now the way it's painted, and the money to raise the ceiling is I'm sure crazy, so here's what I'm thinking...

Keep all walls, moldings and ceiling the same color.

Keep it a mat finish.

Would an eggshell finish on ceiling make it look higher?

Initially I wanted to match a deep green from a couch (to be discussed in the next post) on the walls... or accent wall. If I can talk my husband into it, and now I realize everything should be the same color, that would be insane I'm sure! Although I love the idea.

How about the green on the accent wall and ceiling? Everything else in white. (I did this once in a small bedroom and it looked great but I wasn't trying to make the ceiling look higher.)

Or all everything the same color... either a clean white, very pale pink or pale salmon?

In addition to paint color to make ceiling look as high as possible:

I will have floor to ceiling open drapes. Vertical art work. Tall spider plants lining 2 walls. Tall floor lamps with lights pointing up. Trying to enhance vertical lines.

Also, there is 1 walled mirror by the dining area. It's not very current looking but it surely opens the place up and also the advantage is it mirrors the mountain view coming from the window. So it's hard to take it down, although I am certainly thinking about it. So that's a question. Leave it up or take it down? I thought to put things in front of it to break it up. Like the line of tall plants.

The other problem with the mirror is one of the seams has a damage behind it and needs to be covered. First I thought of the plant. But it might be too high. I might be able to get a mirror molding strip. But how about making floor to ceiling strips of molding on both seams. Painted the same color as the walls? And somehow paste it to the mirrors. It will be more vertical lines, break up the mirror, more interest?

Any ideas would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Comments (19)