SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
optimisticprime

Seams in Lowe's silestone countertop - is this normal?

optimisticprime
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

We had measurements and templating done on Oct 28th and finally had the installation done today. We were pretty surprised to find that the countertop piece around the sink was cut into four pieces.

We asked the folks installing it why and the response was that it “was what they do for Lowes and Home Depot jobs, and that it was cheaper to do it that way, otherwise we would have had to pay for a larger slab”.

We obviously weren’t too thrilled to hear this, and went to Lowes after they left to ask about it. The Lowes rep told us that any seams should have been mentioned when the templating happened, and called the installers up. This time they were told, and told us that ‘the cutout for the sink was too big and a single piece wouldn’t of been able to support itself through transport’.

Kind of confused by this as it isn’t an oversized sink and there is approx 3in (7.5cm) of material at the front and the back of the sink cutout, which I think is over the minimum of Silestone requirements. Also, if it was in fact a problem, we would have opted for a different sink if we had been told.

I see that single seams around the sink aren’t uncommon in installs of larger pieces/long runs, but this isn’t a large piece (length is 89.5 inches including the corner bend). And, the seams themselves at the front of the sink aren’t totally flush - if I run my finger the one on the left I can feel a lip, and the other has what appears to be a chip underneath as the two pieces are visibly a different thickness underneath where they join.

Is the sink cutout ‘being too big’ to transport the piece a legit reason or are we being lied to?

• If it is a legitimate reason, are the seams and quality of them normal and expected?

Comments (6)