SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sbm321

Have you taken estrogen (estradiol) and weaned off? Side effects.

Sueb20
2 years ago

Maybe 5 years ago I had ovaries and FT removed because of my family history of ovarian cancer. I was immediately thrown into menopause, not really a huge deal in most ways because I was 50, but the hot flashes and sleeplessness were brutal. So my dr prescribed estrogen and that kept the wolves at bay. But my dr and I decided it was time to ditch it so I have been weaning off for several weeks now. First switched from pill to weekly patch. No problem. Then after several weeks, switched to lower dose patch. After 4 more weeks, switched to a lower dose patch. I now have 3 weeks to go until I’m done.

I have been reading online and of course I can ask my doctor, but am curious to hear experiences from people I ”know” and none of my IRL friends have done this. Last week, I had a headache and nausea all week. The headache was almost migraine level. Finally that got better, although I still feel a bit queasy on and off. This week, I am having joint pain in my hips/lower back that seems random ie not from any exercise I’ve done. So far, no real hot flashes but these seemingly random side effects are from the estrogen withdrawal, I assume.

After losing weight this year, I am a little worried that my weight will creep up once the estrogen is gone. Less concerned about hot flashes now…at least they’ll keep me warm this winter.

Comments (26)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths