SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
plllog

If it's not a po' boy is it a rich girl?

plllog
2 years ago

I've never been to Louisiana, but I've had po' boys made by natives thence. Big roll, almost a loaf, lots of lettuce, scattering of shrimp (or other protein). I.e., lots of the cheap stuff, to fill one up, but simple not to outshine the expensive stuff, which is just enough to get a bit in every bite. But what if the opposite is true?

All of a sudden, there was nothing much in the fridge. Lots of food, but nothing made. Sandwich time, right? Open package of pastrami and some nice tortillas. Lo! What's this? The previously frozen, previously beautiful, cleaned red Argentine shrimp. They took forever to defrost in the fridge, and turned out to be freezer burnt. Toss, right? But around the freezer burn, they looked--and smelled---nice. Maybe no longer fancy, but a shame to throw them away. Behold! Totally forgotten day old croissants. Shrimp sandwiches! Not po' boys. It's croissants! Delicate, small and full of butter. And only soft lettuce--no crisp iceberg or romaine in the house. Shrimp won't wait for new groceries! Just go for it. Slice open croissants leaving them well hinged. Moisten with Ojai Cook mayo which is organic and mustardy and better than I've ever made from scratch. Needs a little heat. A couple of lines of sriracha will do. Pave the whole thing with shrimp. Just stuff 'em on in there. They need to go! Eight biggies in one croissant. Edge to edge. Good thing most of them aren't curled. Curly ones in the ends, the rest nestled like logs floating downstream. Lightly steamed so the shrimp are good and hot (cooked).

Rich girl sandwiches, indeed. So good! What a luxury. No telling that some were so freezer burnt with the other textures and flavors--the shrimp shine! YUMMY!

Comments (21)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor