SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
holly23675

How can I smooth out this ridge?

Holly
2 years ago

My husband and I glued up two butcher block slabs to create an island peninsula countertop with an overhang for seating. We used biscuit joints to line it up correctly and 2x2's to create a level surface. Even so, we ended up with a ridge at the seam. After further investigation we discovered that the two slabs vary in thickness by about 1/32" (we bought them ready-made from Home Depot). So even with all our efforts to keep it all straight, this ridge could not be avoided. It is so slight that I couldn't even get a picture of the ridge itself, but you can definitely feel it.

Although the ridge is slight, it is obviously not acceptable for a countertop. What is the best way to smooth this out? I plan on sanding the whole thing with an orbital sander - will that be enough to also smooth out this ridge? Or should I also use an electric hand planer? I'm worried a planer will remove too much material and there are too many possibilities for mistakes (I'm a new diyer/woodworker), but a sander might not be enough to get the smooth, level surface I'm looking for.

Is there another solution I haven't thought of?

By the way, I live in a small town so I do not have access to large planers or any other type of commercial woodworking equipment. There are no woodworking co-ops or anything like that around me. I've looked, with no luck.

Comments (10)