SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kathleen_smith6227819

My dog, Chewie, just freaked me

Kathsgrdn
2 years ago

I was in my room, had gotten up late today after staying up half the night. I had eaten "breakfast" and was getting ready to go shower, when Chewie starts barking at something. He barks when he sees or hears someone drive up across the street so I didn't think anything about it. Then he started to growl. That's not normal. He doesn't even bark/growl when the lawncare people come into our backyard. He might if someone from the power company comes. So, I go take a look. There's nothing there. He's barking and growling at nothing out back. I go back in my room and he is still doing it so I peek around the kitchen corner from the the hallway and still I see nothing. No squirrels, no chipmunk, no neighbor's cat, and what's weird no neighbor dogs who usually bark at every little thing out there.

I decide to go check. I go back in my room and dress, decide not to change out of my flip flops, grab my cell phone because that will protect me. I open the back door and we all go out. I tell Chewie loudly that I have my gun and it's okay. (I don't own a gun) He goes to the end of the porch and doesn't leave it and growls at the outbuilding. Emily walks off the porch on the side and is oblivious to anything, sniffing the ground. I walk out toward the outbuilding and Chewie barely comes off the porch and starts growling and pawing the dirt, like a bull getting ready to charge at something. I walk to the building and look into the windows. I can see most of the inside from either window. I check to make sure it's locked and it is. I walk around the back and the upper back window isn't open or broken. I tell Chewie he's lost his mind. I then walk to the other side of the building and look to see if someone is in the backyard right in back of me and maybe that's what he's growling at? Nope. None of my neighbors or their dogs are outside that I can see.

I went back inside with both dogs. Chewie nearly knocking me over to get back inside. He never did move past about 3 feet in front of the porch, even after me and Emily were near the back fence. I locked the door and went to shower. No growling but he just barked at something, the car driving by out front that I heard? I hear Emily trying to open the trash just now, so I opened my door to tell her to stop and Chewie is laying in her bed that is right outside my door.

Have your dogs ever done anything like this? I didn't check under the outbuilding. I suppose someone or some thing could have crawled under there. I didn't think of it until I showered and was sitting here. He is usually fearless. He loves to go outside and sometimes refuses to come back in when I call him. He will sit under one of my giant oak trees and stare at me but not move.

Comments (32)