SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_195483519

Please Help! Design Nightmare of a NextGen like Suite.

Sunflower Jam
2 years ago

My family was going to move into a bigger house with more of a separate space for all of us but, the housing boom went crazy and it fell through. We were looking at NextGen houses. Those houses feature a separate living space, full kitchen, full bath, laundry closet, and a bedroom. Basically an apartment.

Fast-forward a year and we decided to renovate part of the first floor into a NextGen type of apartment, with all the same amenities as the original.

My parents want me to feel comfortable in this new apartment but, I am not a designer and I have never thought about designing a house. In fact, now I can understand why marriage's break up when renovating a house.

It has been truly a nightmare. I'm so stressed-out about all the decisions, big and small and in between, that I have to make.

I have a business that I need to be able to disinfect cabinets and counter tops with some harsh cleaning products. I'd love some help with the non-porous cabinets and counter tops, BUT the biggest issue, and main issue, is the layout and how I can maximize my space, without it feeling stuffy.

I am truly not a fussy person. I just need it to be functional, cleanable, and affordable. One of the space problems is the kitchen/mini living room, as well as the new addition off the back that will be the new bathroom. The kitchen/mini living room is 11 feet and by 14 feet and 4 inches. The 14 foot wall has a backdoor to the porch in one corner and the bathroom door in the other corner.

The corner with the backdoor shares room with the 11 foot wall that is where the kitchen is going. I'm planning on putting in a fold up and down "extended" butcher block counter top behind the backdoor, so I can extend my counter space. We can only have a refrigerator, microwave/convection oven, kitchen sink, and dishwasher. We are not allowed to have an oven or cook-top.

I want a bath/shower combo in the bathroom and a "toilet closet" that isn't closed in. Just in a space by itself. I'm reusing the mirror and lights from the half bath that was there before.

We are now a month into the renovation. They have done all the demo. I need to tell them about the bathroom and kitchen ASAP. I would have gotten a designer but, it is not in the budget at all. There have been some major, costly issues, and I can no longer have tile in the bath/shower area or a kitchen island. It's fine, I'm just running out of ideas.

Any help would be amazing. Thank you so much for reading my long post!

Comments (5)